Still earning her keep..

On 6/4/2016 at 2:01 PM, tg144 said:

We sure like to see old Mack's still working, as is Mr DOT officer. I would be concerned around the check points with this tractor.

Just curious, what would concern you on it? My daily unit is a 25 year old Marmon.  This unit appears to have no oil, grease or fuel drips, lights are intact and I'm sure all working. Good rubber and doesn't appear to be mismatched cast offs or non normal wear, glass is good and truck may not shine but it seems cared for. What would you say it's issues are?    Paul

Edited by 41chevy

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

3 hours ago, mackey58 said:

Damn that's s nice marmon!! If I remember  correctly  they were made in Texas very cool

Denton Texas. Went with my Grandpa to pick it up from the factory. Took it to the Marmon Homecomingat the old factory for 10 years straight except last years.

• Like 1

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

My only concern would be attracting the attention of a DOT Officer. We all know once you get pulled in for an inspection, they can always find something wrong with the truck. I have no problem with using older, paid off equipment. 

• Like 1

Just worked on a 1998 Mack Triaxle Friday.  It has been working on a Interstate job hauling everything from base to batch.  As the driver was pulling into the PUG mill a few days ago to load cement treated base the operator opened the chute early and put some on the hood windshield and roof, cracking the grill and breaking off one end of the dual horns.  In typical I don't own the truck fashion the driver used a shovel to clean it off and did not find a hose so you can just imagine what it looks like.  Anyways on Friday the truck pulls out of the mill with a load of whatever they were hauling and at a red light down the street getting onto the on ramp a DOT pulled up in the straight lane and while they were waiting for the light to change, the driver said the passenger in the DOT pickup looked at the cab and rolled his window down and told him to pull over.

Why because the truck looked like Hell and of course they found a leaking power steering hose (return) just wet with dust on it no drips, a supposed leaking air line on the lift axle turned out it is the exhaust that is vented from the cab to outside, cracked windshield on passenger side about 1 inch long in the corner near the center support, hose rubbing and unserviceable because the driver used some duct tape on a split rubber hose that was zip tied on to prevent chafing, horn inop although it still blows and so does the city horn but the driver did not push it, and of course an over weight because the (lift axle leaks air) as he was lifting it to make the 90 degree turn onto the highway as it is not steerable and he was told to always lift it for sharp turns.  There were a couple other things I fixed like I resecured the grille and resecured some of the other hoses.

Point is--

If the truck looks like this Not a DOT Magnet

On 6/5/2016 at 7:52 AM, mackey58 said:

20150417_114407_resized.jpg

If truck looks like this be prepared to get stopped by every DOT guy you pass.  Eventually you will get to know all the DOT Officers and they will learn your truck and they may realize that it is mechanically sound.  But anyone who has ever been stopped by the DOT can attest if they want to find something they can.  Did you know that your washer bottle must have some washer fluid and shoot solution onto the windshield?  Well that's the nitpicky thing a few DOT guys are looking at here when they can't find anything else, oh and they are looking for DOT approved on brass fittings on air lines- i.e. the brass connector that you draw air off to air up your tires that is hooked into the air tank. 

On 6/3/2016 at 6:05 PM, Rich Reinhart said:

Still works everyday in Bucks County Pa..100_2807.jpg

• Like 1

Robert

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."

Yes they can find stuff wrong with a new one but it's nice to know that you do your best to keep it road worthy. I see some late model ones with half the bumper  and fender  missing and flying  down the road