Bulldozer engine for former jalopy

smorse54

Some people will love it, the more traditional folks will wonder why. I think it's pretty cool. It certainly goes well with the green paint!

Is it a Mack gearbox?

NO, it has a Fuller RTO14613. It did have a RTOO14613 and he changed it out to give a more practicle setup. It has 3.70 rear axle ratio.

• Like 2

The new owner probably too like bulldosers.

Or there was another reason in swapping the engine in running truck.

Although it's a common thing when a man put his hands on stuff wich is new to him.

Getting fresh paint CAT looks nice on its new place.

• Like 1

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

I had a 3406B in a '94 Freightliner that was the same way. The '83 FL we had with a 400 Cummins would blow it's doors off.

We currently have a '94 Pete with the 3406B and it's a good puller but it's been tinkered with.

My thinking is the 3406B isn't much right out of the box but with some mild tuning can be made into a puller. You can go all crazy with them and they will put out some hp but then you run into reliablity issues if you aren't careful.

Mine wouldn't pull a 'sick lady of the night of a slop jar ' when I brought it home, it took some tweaking to get any life out of it but was never a powerhouse, I guess the problems they had with the 380's blowing up soured them on getting any power out of the 3406 design but couldn't do anything to improve upon it so they just squeezed the life out of it instead....as we see now though, it was not the best business model they could have used.

Oh, and sorry for the hijack, now back to the regularly scheduled program.

Edited by Mcrafty1

All that 3406 needs is the screws turned out in the fuel pump and the afrac screw turned in a little and 500 hp if it's a 3406b 425 factory, and it will scoot then!

Yeah, there were a lot of guys around my neck of the woods that had these 3406B cats when I was running mine, and most that cranked em up blew them up....I was tempted a time or two but I was trting to keep it together long enouh to pay for it......didn't happen, it had liner seal problems at 270,000 and I ended up overhauling it at that time, I run it three more years after that though (7 total) never any nuts but it got the job done. I don't by any means want to discourage the guy with this rebuild but I did want to convey my experience with my cat. I inframed it in 1989 at Cat for $5,500.00 if I recall :banana: Now they tell me it's $15,000 to do it :thumbsdown:

strange to hear this, we ran 3406b 425hp along side of 400 macks and cummins and had great luck with the cats, the biggest complaint was the same as the macks ........no whooh! the engine brakes sucked in both compared to a cummins. my buddy's c-15's spend more time in the shop than our b mod's ever did

strange to hear this, we ran 3406b 425hp along side of 400 macks and cummins and had great luck with the cats, the biggest complaint was the same as the macks ........no whooh! the engine brakes sucked in both compared to a cummins. my buddy's c-15's spend more time in the shop than our b mod's ever did

Let me say this, They didn't ALL blow and if they held together they did a fine job! But many more in my area that were cranked blew than didn't, I didn't have the guts to crank mine. I sold it in 93 and went driving OTR in a 400 cat that ran good but I was only in it for a short time and the company I was with put me in a new 3406 425 that was in a1994 star and that was as gutless as my old 400, but I did put 750,000 on that truck in 4 years with just one rebuild around 450,000 or there abouts.

• Like 1