B-73 Restoration

Just now, Frank Y said:

In the 4th and 5th pic with the D/S fender, are you using lead filler, or is that just from massaging the fender back to shape?

BTW, beautiful job so far!

Thanks for the complements!

Probably from massaging them. These were donor fenders from a truck I parted out. Better than what was on it due to rot, but the repair work that was done to them was less than stellar. There's also some pitting from corrosion that discolors the metal. That'll all be fixed before paint, though.

• Like 2

On 11/28/2021 at 10:42 AM, Licensed to kill said:

Thanks. All for nothing really since as soon as I stick it down between the fender of my B61 you won't be able to see much of it. No matter, It's just my OCD at work I suppose. Its why I even changed all the oil pan bolts to yellow zinc grade 8's because they look better as if anyone will see them. I guess it is like when I was a kid with my '57 chevy and put new chrome jug nuts under the baby moon hub caps because "I knew they we there". 

don'tknow if i'd call it OCD , it's more like pride in your work. when that truck starts for the first time complete  and drives down the road on it's own power all the hrs ,effort and i'm sure $$$ will make it all worth while.  OCD might be when all the heads of the new pan bolts have the head pattern the same direction  LOL

• Like 2

On 2/7/2022 at 7:06 PM, mechohaulic said:

don'tknow if i'd call it OCD , it's more like pride in your work. when that truck starts for the first time complete  and drives down the road on it's own power all the hrs ,effort and i'm sure $$$ will make it all worth while.  OCD might be when all the heads of the new pan bolts have the head pattern the same direction  LOL

I'm actually "CDO".  It's just like "OCD", except that the letters are in alphabetical order, like they are supposed to be.

Edited by doubleclutchinweasel
  • Haha 1

"Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines."

On 2/7/2022 at 6:34 PM, mattb73lt said:

Lots of irons in the fire, parts on order, hardware coming in and some stuff still on order or awaiting return from being repaired. Accomplishing a lot of little detail stuff and finishing off some smaller projects on it. Waiting for the weather to warm up a little for body work and paint, but have been doing a lot of metal work on the front end items and fenders. I've got a couple of loads of paint to do, also. The goal is to get all this stuff done so when the weather improves to work outside, I can jump back on the frame to finish all the plumbing, wiring and mechanical work and then start final assembly!! So much to get done. I did finish off my wiper system by adding some covers to the motors. All the wiring is hidden and they really neaten up the installation. Today I was mocking up the front end to get the fender profiles right before final body work. The front end looks pretty cool temporarily back together. Nothing really earth shattering, but a lot of little stuff done.

IMG_3206.jpg

IMG_3219.jpg

IMG_3221.jpg

IMG_3237.jpg

IMG_3238.jpg

IMG_3244.jpg

There are no words to describe that interior.  It is absolutely gorgeous.

• Like 1

"Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines."

55 minutes ago, 1961H67 said:

Matt , That Truck is Absolutely Beautiful! Thanks again for your help on my Cab ,, it’s coming along pretty good, I got sidetracked when I found a set of Model 20 Jakes for the 220 , I have been messing around with that Detour for a couple of weeks.

7AF6ECB8-8ED1-410B-A128-62CD614C9DAA.jpeg

240E4154-7E96-4AE0-B0AA-8DF64A000998.jpeg

2886D40C-FE3A-4D86-81DB-52E45AC3FAA7.jpeg

CB9056ED-A354-4644-B2A6-44315BC42BDE.jpeg

Wow, that’s awesome! I’m so glad that those parts are helping you out. The work looks great, by the way.

• Like 1

Of the various trucks with external alloy radiators, I am biased for sure, but this Mack B model radiator is timeless, it's design, shape and shutters (we have the split type just because I liked them and bit sturdier) are pure class. We have a set of the wide shutters, so we can swap at any time. There is 1 issue with the alloy, it was made with various products, not high quality, it cannot be polished to hard because the imperfections in the alloy appear, also porous.  

The Auotcar, Diamond T and Peterbilt external radiators are not comparable.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, 1961H67 said:

Matt did you get a new wiring harness for your truck? I wasn’t sure if anyone has one for a LJ  , thanks 

Yes, It was a standard B model I modified to fit. There is a company that has L & B series, Rhode island Wiring and I think one more I just can't remember the name. Or, you could make your own. Then there's after market places like Painless Wiring that make hot rod harnesses that could work. The original style ones are not cheap! I bought mine back in 2005 i think and the price has skyrocketed.

• 2 weeks later...

Love those little patches with no overlap. When you have the spots ground off the part gets back it its very original condition. Bad thing is when plenty of weld is required and the sheet is thin. Hammering back to the shape could be a trouble or require professionalizm. And I'm not a professional with that:)

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

23 minutes ago, tjc transport said:

Vlad, the trick is small spot welds, and stagger the weld. one side, than go to the other side. do not come back to the first side until it has cooled off. 

by making a LOT of small welds, the metal has time to cool off and will not heat warp. 

Yep this is pretty much what I do and I'm no expert at this stuff 

I find it is a lot quicker to wait for it fully cool now and then, just keeping it at blood temperature than it is to try and beat back into shape 

Paul 

• Like 1

It’s called stitching. Once aligned and tacked in place, you work your way around the repair. No more than an inch at a time, depending on thickness of material and never next to the last weld. I usually work several separate repairs at once, so I don’t heat an individual repair excessively and cause warping.