B-73 Restoration

• 6 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
16 hours ago, h67st said:

Niiice! How in the world did you cut that shim with that long taper?

I’m no woodworking expert by any measure. Once I figured out how much of a curve I needed and the area where it needed to be in, I roughed out the mahogany to fit the area, then worked it out where the center needed to be about 7/16” thick and taper down to about 1/16” at each end.  I then used a Dewalt hand planer to remove the wood. A regular hand planer would work, too, to shave it down. Now, there’s no void between the sheet metal and the frame. There’s also black tarpaper between the sheet metal and framework, as Mack did at the factory.

BTW, you can see the shim peeking out on that interior shot I posted, between the back skin and lower frame.

• Like 2

Wow!

Looks like I missed some part of the party. Kept the project in mind but found out it had great development since I checked in last. Very impressive and nicely done job either by the result and the art of fabricating. Very pleased to observe all the stages. Once again, many thanks for detailingly represented every step, sure a real help to anybody who would rebuild an L-model cab. I'm also in the line but my story is a bit different since military cab is in fact a convertible, with no metal roof.

Good luck on the continue, will keep my attention more close.

• Like 1

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

I wish I had that level of ambition and attention to detail... so much more would get done around here... But dear lord that cab looks factory new! I can't wait to see how amazing this truck looks once it's finished! Looks good already...

• Like 2

Who needs a back yard when you could have a :mack1: Yard?!

That's not enough to say drool looking at these pictures. More close to the content of animated pic Hatcity used to post sometimes in the past.

A long while back Mike Siuperdog put brand new L-model door up for sale on here. I don't remember which side and sure don't have an idea on he sold it or not.

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

45 minutes ago, AZB755V8 said:

I was going to ask about your tooling. Looks like you have a tool for everything to do fabrication. Nice,

Great job!

I’m pretty well equipped, but once in a while I come up short. It would be nice to have a shear and a brake for fabrication, but I don’t usually get this deep into a vehicle.

ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooohhhh i gotcha,,,musta missed that part....that would have been eating me alive as well....you would be looking at those flaws the entire time you owned it,,,,,besides your liable to devevope squeeks,or rattles somewhere along the line,,driving you crazy..after you get it all painted and put together,,,,,,yes i dont blame you them,,,,,great job....bob

18 hours ago, mattb73lt said:

Neither can I. Never thought I'd go this far into it. I always liked this cab on the B. I think what saved it and allowed me to go this route was the shoddy repair that was done after the original owner crashed into his trailer after missing the fifth wheel. It was literally pop riveted back together and the two replacement panel were falling off. They did a lot of damage too, as they chiseled the spot welds apart instead of using a cutter. Like i said, I can't wait to get this part done.

I like this cab on the Bs too. Must've been a quick job so save money the first time, but how in the world was somebody trying to hook up a trailer so fast they not only missed the 5th wheel and didn't realize it but then cause so much damage that you need to replace rear panels?! I could see a sizable dent maybe and the glass to be blown out but something on the cab that couldn't just be beat out or dealt with? Makes me scratch my head...

Glad someone is fixing it up right! Can't wait to see the old dog growling around again...

Who needs a back yard when you could have a :mack1: Yard?!