VOLVO .......... What ....... are they good for

• 2 months later...
2 hours ago, Oso2 said:

Sorry guys - but Volvo makes good, durable, well-engineered trucks. I know you don't want to believe that.

You're right. Though always in the shadow of the world's best truck, Scania, Volvo tries very hard to follow in the leader's footsteps and make a good, durable, well-engineered trucks. Volvo will never reach Scania's level of course, but everyone should respect them for trying.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, kscarbel2 said:

You're right. Though always in the shadow of the world's best truck, Scania

Volvo will never reach Scania's level 

Do you think VW (Traton) will keep Scania as their premium brand..??

Or will they cross pollinate It into a Prostituted "Legacy" Brand like has happened to Mack?? & to a lessor extent Western Star..!!

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

Take a look at what's happening with cars and light trucks- You can now buy a "Chevy" light duty conventional with an Isuzu engine that's assembled by International. Or a complete Isuzu cabover with Chevy badges. Over at VW Group they're using the same platform on everything from $40k Audi A4s to six figure Lamborghinis and Bentleys. This ain't always a bad thing though, if you want an ultimate mid engine sports car the Porsche Cayman starts at a bit above $50k and is built on the same platform as the $100+k Audi R series and Lambo Hurricace. So I reckon the next generation Internationals on Scania chassis will be a big improvement, and they might even give us the Scania V8! 

4 hours ago, Hayseed said:

Do you think VW (Traton) will keep Scania as their premium brand..??

Or will they cross pollinate It into a Prostituted "Legacy" Brand like has happened to Mack?? & to a lessor extent Western Star..!!

VW is keeping Scania as their premium brand. Recognizing Scania as the jewel in their portfolio, with the world's leading heavy truck technology, VW has given Scania wide operating autonomy.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, kscarbel2 said:

You're right. Though always in the shadow of the world's best truck, Scania, Volvo tries very hard to follow in the leader's footsteps and make a good, durable, well-engineered trucks. Volvo will never reach Scania's level of course, but everyone should respect them for trying.

Take out the bold-ed part and The statement would be correct!🙄

• Thanks 1

There is only one individual I’ve met who sits at the outer rim of the Volvo inner circle. He told me every part being design engineered by Volvo is R&D’ed, tested, approved and passed to a second group of engineers who don’t design. That group of individuals take the design and predetermine the component lifespan against production cost and quality. They control the service life of components, quality of build materials and set production cost for the truck build. He advised Volvo has a reasonably good idea what your operating costs are going to be during the build. 

What I took out of the conversation was..... Volvo is a stacked-deck-dealer who only gets honest when He sees your going to walk away from the table. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Mack Technician said:

They control the service life of components, quality of build materials and set production cost for the truck build. He advised Volvo has a reasonably good idea what your operating costs are going to be during the build. 

What I took out of the conversation was..... Volvo is a stacked-deck-dealer who only gets honest when He sees your going to walk away from the table. 

Just like every other truck manufacturer. Let's not even mention American cars of the 70's! (Yeah - older is always better - not.)

1 hour ago, Bullheaded said:

Yes Oso, older is better. WAY better. I've already begun replacing my newer stuff with old stuff. Why? Because it all works when I go to use it and the old stuff doesn't make me hate life.

Emission vs. non-emission truck motors maybe. But a 2018 Corolla will run circles around some old beater from the past and run forever too! Mind you, I have friends who are getting good service from their new-ish Cascadias in linehaul service - so maybe the bugs are finally being worked out.

But I digress. Volvo makes a good truck, like it or not (and Mack would be dead if it wasn't for Volvo). I also think that if Volvo had simply rebranded their North American offerings as "White Trucks" in the 80's, they would have avoided this hate - because yes, people are that superficial.

2 minutes ago, Bullheaded said:

And I'm not just talking emission motors. Cars are junk now. My new ones are in the shop more than any old used beater I have ever bought.

You're kidding me. I know a guy who buys Corollas at 200kms and sells them at 400. Have them rust sprayed and they're pretty much bullet-proof. But again I digress.

3 minutes ago, kscarbel2 said:

Mack IS dead, sir. Perhaps you missed that news. Foreign aggressor Volvo bought it in 2000. The nameplate now adorns a North American Volvo chassis with a 30-year old Mack-designed CH cab.  What Volvo has done, reduce an American icon down to a mere shell of its former self, should be a crime.

I can see that. Yes, everything under the cab is Volvo. Having said that, Volvo builds good trucks. I wish Mack had a little more independence, but it's probably not commercially viable. Mack didn't have enough money to design emission engines - so it got taken over. Everyone has had problems with emissions. That's the game now; it's worldwide and it's not going away.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bullheaded said:

Yes Oso, older is better. WAY better. I've already begun replacing my newer stuff with old stuff. Why? Because it all works when I go to use it and the old stuff doesn't make me hate life.

You ain’t a kidding. Just about everyone of our Coronado 122sd’s gauges quit working, hit a bump and sometimes they work again. Constantly fighting after treatment problems and dummy lights and  derating. I miss my old 379 with the 3406E, it just never seemed to give any problems to us. Put new bearings in the bottom end at 700,000mi and just keep going. 

• Like 1

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by the people who vote for a living.

The government can only "give" someone what they first take from another.