Pictures of the Week*

other dog

I think that ship-looking thing in Moorestown is in the same field that used to have the giant golf-ball structure back in the 60's. It was on RCA property and was one of the "DEWLINE" installations which stood for defense early warning something, something. Super duper double top secret stuff at that time. Inside the ball was a giant radar antenna. Sucker was huge, I estimate 3 stories high. By special permission of a senator and an admiral my boy scout troop managed to get a tour of the facility. When we were in the dome at first the antenna wasn't moving... But when they started it up I nearly jumped out of my socks. It was about like, imagine, a 3 story building spinning about 60 RPM. The slew ring on the bottom of it had to be 30 or 40 ft. in diameter. Nothing that big should move that fast. Truly stunning. Giant big screen across the width of the building with dozens of guys tracking every single thing in space including even the pieces of space junk. Looking, watching, for anything coming over the horizon. Its been nearly 50 years ago now but I'll never forget seeing something that big move that fast. I imagine long since declassified so maybe there is some video on YouTube or somewhere.

Found it if you are interested. http://jsf1.homestead.com/MoorestownGolfBall.html

That's very interesting. I went back and did more research on the radar station on Apple Orchard Mountain to see if it had one of those "super-powered" radars. It might well have been, because when the Air Force base was there, there were three of those large units on the mountain. I found a picture of them last night, but I forgot where I found them. I thought it was operated by the Navy, but it was Air Force, and I thought it was a weather station, but it's not-

The mountain also has a large FAA antenna on the top. The antenna is the only working remnant of the old Bedford Air Force Base, which operated on the summit from 1954 to 1974. As many as 120 airmen were stationed on the mountain during those years.

http://radomes.org/museum/recent/BedfordAFSVA.html

This link shows pics. of more than one, the page I was looking at last night had an aerial photo of them.

• Like 1

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

It took some doing,but I was able to find a picture of the "golfball" that used to be in the same place as the "Cornfield Cruiser" in Moorestown,NJ this was also a familiar sight to anyone who travelled the NJ Turnpike,or 295 from 1960 till about 1975. From what I read,this "Radome" housed a super strong radar unit used to detect ICBM's during the Cold War,the article also said this unit could detect something as small as a needle from 2000 miles away!.................................Mark

post-5836-0-07484800-1425084034.jpg

• Like 2

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

The location of the Beford Air Force base is no surprise if you just look at the history of the cold war. The radar installation is there to hopefully be able to see anything coming this way during a massive soviet strike. Why is it there? Look just northwest to White Sulphur Springs, the Greenbriar hotel sits above a huge underground bunker complex that was built to house our leaders during such a strike. It has long been rumored to be connected to several other key government facilities in the region by tunnels throughout the area. The Bedford facility was the eyes of the bunker, all the in coming radar information and communications from Bedford "supposedly" went directly to the Greenbriar bunker.

• Like 2

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

The New Boston, NH Air Force Station, 23TH SOPS, is still active as a satellite tracking station. There are three radar

domes keeping in communication with satellites orbiting Earth, 24/7/365. During WW II, NBAFS was a practice

bombing range for AAF planes out of Grenier Army Air Field in Manchester, NH. After the war's end, the hilltop

location was turned into the tracking station. In the following decades it was not uncommon to find unexplored

ordinance in the woods, fields, and ponds. NBAFS once had its own fire department but the department was disbanded and the fire station was turned over to the New Boston Fire Department for use

as a sub-station.

bulldogboy

Highly interesting stuff, to me anyway. I have seen Spears Mountain in Buckingham, Va. myself and it's still a mystery. We'd go right by the access road to it on the way to Covington. Check this out-

http://www.wset.com/story/22982860/the-mystery-of-spears-mountain

Back in the early 80's you couldn't get anywhere near it, and the top of that mountain was lit up like a Christmas tree at night. Old "hard rock", who also drove for H.H.Moore and lived in Gladstone,Va. said they "worked on that mountain for years and years, with the biggest bulldozers i've ever seen". And there's very little to be seen on the mountain itself except for the huge buildings- they can also be seen for miles.

The rumors were that the whole inside of the mountain had been dug out and the president and other top gummint officials would go there if there was a nuclear attack. They would seal themselves inside, and the only way they could get out was to take a bulldozer that was kept inside, and started periodically to make sure it ran, and knock the door down.

post-1374-0-78065400-1425164771_thumb.jp

post-1374-0-34536000-1425164816.jpg

Al Moore said he rode up the mountain one time and there were armed guards at the gate, which was about half way up the mountain. They had M16's and axed him what he was doing there. He said he told them he was looking for his hunting dogs- they told him if they saw his dogs they'd let him know, now get the hell out of here.

I rode up there myself once, until I got to the locked gate, but at that time there were no guards there.

More interesting stuff about Spears Mountain-

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/coldwarcomms/conversations/topics/11699

• Like 1

Highly interesting stuff, to me anyway. I have seen Spears Mountain in Buckingham, Va. myself and it's still a mystery. We'd go right by the access road to it on the way to Covington. Check this out-

http://www.wset.com/story/22982860/the-mystery-of-spears-mountain

Back in the early 80's you couldn't get anywhere near it, and the top of that mountain was lit up like a Christmas tree at night. Old "hard rock", who also drove for H.H.Moore and lived in Gladstone,Va. said they "worked on that mountain for years and years, with the biggest bulldozers i've ever seen". And there's very little to be seen on the mountain itself except for the huge buildings- they can also be seen for miles.

The rumors were that the whole inside of the mountain had been dug out and the president and other top gummint officials would go there if there was a nuclear attack. They would seal themselves inside, and the only way they could get out was to take a bulldozer that was kept inside, and started periodically to make sure it ran, and knock the door down.

attachicon.gifSpears6am.jpg

attachicon.gifsp.mtn.images (1).jpg

Al Moore said he rode up the mountain one time and there were armed guards at the gate, which was about half way up the mountain. They had M16's and axed him what he was doing there. He said he told them he was looking for his hunting dogs- they told him if they saw his dogs they'd let him know, now get the hell out of here.

I rode up there myself once, until I got to the locked gate, but at that time there were no guards there.

More interesting stuff about Spears Mountain-

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/coldwarcomms/conversations/topics/11699

What we have at Camp Hero in Montauk Point is an ex NORAD/DEW Line Array, with the Hercles / Nike-Ajas radar dome. Last 3 pics are emplacements for WWII 16inch Naval guns

http://s79.photobucket.com/user/41chevy-photo/library/CAMP%20%20HERO?sort=3&page=1

• Like 1

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

• 2 years later...
On 2/23/2015 at 5:27 PM, other dog said:

I started to buy some too, but something just didn't look right...I that that squiggly icing on that one should have been all the way around, instead of just on one side.

post-1374-0-59668600-1424730302.png

I was doing a google search to see if I could find any info about the gun battle in the parking lot in Ivor last week and found this BMT thread mentioned. I guess nobody ever noticed the mouse in this picture,eh?

A friend of my wife used to be an assistant chef at the Greenbriar,I once saw a video of the underground city beneath it! Said to be able to sustain over a hundred people for several.months! My feelings on that..if all of us know about it our enemies do too! I'll bet there is another secret place for our leaders to go that our enemies MAY not know about! Anyone ever see that bunker that JFK had near the Kennedy compound in west Palm beach Florida?

OD, I've been in all those little t.s.,used to haul cab and chassis to Magic City Motors in Salem Va! Old true story...you never park on the corner or end of the row if you can avoid it! I don't even do that in a shopping center with my pickup! You always bring back good memories!