Wheel bearings

Underdog

I am in the process of swapping steer axles on my F 600 and I am curious to hear any opinions about wheel bearing lubrication. Do I retain the grease packed bearings or switch to oil lube? IMHO grease provides superior lubrication (except maybe in extreme cold) so then why did the entire industry switch over to oil hubs? Easier maintenance is the only advantage I can see.

I am in the process of swapping steer axles on my F 600 and I am curious to hear any opinions about wheel bearing lubrication. Do I retain the grease packed bearings or switch to oil lube? IMHO grease provides superior lubrication (except maybe in extreme cold) so then why did the entire industry switch over to oil hubs? Easier maintenance is the only advantage I can see.

This is a long standing debate.

Grease is only better if you are going to submerge the bearings .

Oil actually provides better lubrication.

My B-815 has oil and the see through covers (that you can't see through any more) on it now but I've got the old "Mack" covers to change it back to grease. Are the bearings the same or do they need to be changed "back" for use with the grease? It will never see lots of use. I want it to look like it is factory but don't know the facts surrounding oil vs grease and if the bearings are the same or not.

Thanks

Greg

Good topic. Off the top of my head here are a few things I can think of.

You don't have have to pack oil bearings. I just squirt some moreys/Lucus oil stabiliser in it before installing.

Grease bearings don't do this to your brakes if a seal goes.

post-14557-0-20684400-1422880027_thumb.j

I reckon the bearings would be the same, just different seals.

Lots of good input, thanks guys. The bearings are the same, just need to thoroughly clean all old lubricant before changing over. Whatever your choice oil or grease, never mix them together.

I decided to go with the grease based on gearhead204's comments regarding condensation. Makes sense for a hobby truck occasional use.

Good topic. Off the top of my head here are a few things I can think of.

You don't have have to pack oil bearings. I just squirt some moreys/Lucus oil stabiliser in it before installing.

Grease bearings don't do this to your brakes if a seal goes.

I reckon the bearings would be the same, just different seals.

Just the seals need to be changed make sure that if you use oil you get the oil seals, if grease either seal works, I pack all the bearings with grease and then add oil and run the truck/trailer for a few miles and then check and top off. Works great, especially on rears with draining and flushing of diffs, obviously you cant check at the hub but you know with packed bearings they will be okay until the oil can migrate to the ends of the axle.

• Like 1

Robert

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."

Underdog, it is good to see you on here again. I hope all is well with you and 2015 will be good to you.

Thanks,Fred good to be back. Still don't have a PC, but recently got this here newfangled smartphone so I can at least get online lol. Been through some changes for sure but on the way back up now, better every day. Looking ahead not back.

Gregg

• Like 1

Fellow on ATHS that is restoring a K100. The debate was going on about what is better. Even to the fact I mentioned building a special "faux" oil cap and fill it with oil to simulate ail bearing(so it looks period correct) even though it is grease packed. Again, it was a hobby truck and the thought was the oil seal might fail from lack of use.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

I wonder why then did the entire trucking industry convert over to oil hubs... Probably for ease of maintenance since grease bearings have to be repacked periodically. I notice too now for steer axles and trailers the trend is back to a sealed unit with grease on the wheel bearings so that tells me grease is a superior lubricant. I'm sure the technology has changed in 50 years as well any type of grease or oil that you can buy now is far better than 50 years ago.

I wonder why then did the entire trucking industry convert over to oil hubs... Probably for ease of maintenance since grease bearings have to be repacked periodically. I notice too now for steer axles and trailers the trend is back to a sealed unit with grease on the wheel bearings so that tells me grease is a superior lubricant. I'm sure the technology has changed in 50 years as well any type of grease or oil that you can buy now is far better than 50 years ago.

I don't know which is better,for me in a hobby truck packed bearings are fine,but I still prefer oil bath in my working trucks. I think the main reason they are going to the sealed hubs is because of todays new breed of steering wheel holders,they are either too damn lazy or too dumb to check oil levels in the hubs.

• Like 2

I always ran Lucas hub oil and CR seals in steer and trailer in my working truck with good results. My new transporter at Brothers Auto came through with sealed hubs on the trailer, Hendrickson axles. I have seen freightliner use a lot on steer axles too. Last I remember around $600 for parts to replace .

I reckon that with tapered bearings (larger inner/smaller outer) you need to keep putting grease in the smaller outer bearing.

But with oil, and with an oil cap, you can fill it a lot higher so more lube gets to the smaller bearing.

With the advent of parallel bearings I'm not sure if that's an issue. We have a trailer with k hitch axles (parallel bearing) and they come with a 1 million km warranty.

I really think most has to do with time and money. The new tech synthetic greases last a long time and with the PTFE and other additives there is no lube issues over time.

Take the time to lay up , disassemble, repack bearings, new seals and reassemble. Big dollars when you figure the Time and materials, than add in the dollars lost with the truck sitting.

You don't need a a tech to look at the level, pop the plug and add oil. I also imaging the time and money saved on the assembly line building the truck. Figure of the wall a .50 cents cost per wheel times say 10,000 trucks. The manufacturer save $30,000 to add to the profit margin on the truck on those trucks and most likely eliminated 6 or 8 workers per shift. Paul

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

grease hubs should have the bearings re-packed periodically. i always run oil. a guy that i know who is very knowledgeable and has more time under his belt than i do runs the Lucas hub oil. i was giving him a hand with one of his trailers one day and when I filled the hubs. it was very thick liquid almost grease like but did flow. kinda the best of both worlds i would run that stuff in my trucks but i always have some bottles of 80/90 around and just grab and use that every time i need some. i should get a few bottles to put on my shelf but never think to grab some and always keep 80/90 on hand