Building the sleeper

Nice work Vlad. Unfortunately that is how they usually go.

After last weeks race, I found the bottom of my side door in my race trailer was rotted off(like 12" worth) inside the door. Only thing that was holding it together was the alum extrusions around the outside. I ended up building a complete new door from scratch.

1" x 1 1/4" dimensional Poplar. All corners dutch lapped.

trailer1_zps7db38ca7.jpg

trailer2_zps4bed9595.jpg

Screw/glued to 1/4" luan:

trailer5_zps03316b91.jpg

I got it installed Sunday after reusing the existing outside alum skin. Looks all the same.. I have a couple more pics I need to download.

If the factory had only primed the inner pieces, it would not have rotted. Sound familiar? Though the door did last 17 yrs.

Sorry, didn't mean to hijack your thread.

Before I got the free bunk for my truck, I was really, really wanting to build a bunk for mine. That way I could make it how I wanted and then skin it to resemble a Mercury.

• Like 1

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

post-3971-0-63520100-1412625167_thumb.jp

I like it!!! Good thinking. Why reinvent the wheel when someone already made it for you.

Great work on the rest of it.

How proper would it be to pleat the back wall?? Or put the old Mercury fantail design in it? That is something I've put thought into with my bunk. It has a two piece rear wall. If I could come up with some stainless, I'd like to either pleat it or fantail it to give it a more "old" look.

MVC637S-vi.jpg

I could do this with my bunk.

mercury_back.jpg

• Like 1

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

They old Mercuries shure look very nice.

Were they either covered SS and aluminium? Or alu only?

There's the way to think along this kind of technology on my mind.

post-3971-0-29869200-1412627191_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

Vlad your are doing a top job there mate :twothumbsup: I wouldnt even try to do something like that because if I did it it would look I had done it :blush:

thanks for sharing keep it you will be asleep in the bunk in no time B)

Paul

Thank you for the comment Paul.

Recently I thought to myself I maybe will sleep in the bunk much earlier than put it onto the truck :)

• Like 1

What a great job Vlad!!! That stainless will look too good to paint. Love it !

Maybe you could take what is left of the kitchen sink back to the store, tell them it leaks and you want your money back. :whistling:

The last point was my current thought when i cut off the first corner. I could weld it back if not satisfied with the radiuses.

Not shure the store folks would be too glad. By the word that sunk came three times more expensive than the one I have in my kitchen.

Just needed the one with the closest to the sleeper corneres form.

You are an excellent craftsman and you also wash dishes! I guess I need to start logging off BMT after each visit. My Wife must not see this.

Don't worry about your wife too much. I currently have no dish washing machine and wash it myself. About once during a week. That's why I was figuring out so long about the corners to make of.

• Like 2

IMPRESSIVE! but I don't know which is more rare a shop with a tile floor or a shop built sleeper that better than factory

Good note about the tile floor. That's a car shop and it's located in the groung floor of the living house so the higth was limited.

That floor cavit turned out much more expensive to dig off and water insulate than buy a modern car lifter.

By the word I don't live in that living house but filled it up with shop tools and shelves full of parts.

• Like 1

By the way... If any of you guys need stainless steel panels for your projects, check out Rigidized Metals Corp. They can make just about anything you need, flat, formed, odd shapes, big variety of surface finishes, plain, pleated, stippled, painted, whatever. They are located in Buffalo, NY. Check our their website. Last I knew, no minimum order, all jobs large or small. (Good source for stainless kitchen backsplashes too.) No connection, just know of them.

www.rigidized.com

I always heard the expression "good old fashioned american ingenuity" growing up, looks like there's some good old fashioned Russian ingenuity going on now. Awesome work Vlad, I may have to pay for a plane ticket to get you to help me on a couple projects.

• Like 1

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"