Ready to hit the road

Superdog your livestock trailers are certainly a lot different to ours over here in Oz

What species do you carry on that one, and how many to a load ?

Cheers

Our Trailers are 53 ft. long x 102 in wide . We mainly haul hogs,but do haul cattle too on the same trailers.a normal load of hogs is 170 hd., fat cattle 38 hd.. This all depends on weight of the stock,of course,The way we are set up,with tandem tractors and spread axle trailers limits us to 86000# gross in Iowa and 80000 in IL and MO. We could add one axle and go 90000 or 2 more and go 96000,but the other states we go to don't recognize the extra axles or weight . Just a drop in a bucket compared to what you guys down under haul.

best of luck,,,had an 83 myself years ago,,it was my favorite one as far as work truck goes....comfortable,,,lotsa puling power,had the 350 thermo,excellent,and lotsa storage...good dependable tractor...one of these days ill post pictures..gotta dig them out...bob

That truck looks right at home with that bull rack, nice!

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

Our Trailers are 53 ft. long x 102 in wide . We mainly haul hogs,but do haul cattle too on the same trailers.a normal load of hogs is 170 hd., fat cattle 38 hd.. This all depends on weight of the stock,of course,The way we are set up,with tandem tractors and spread axle trailers limits us to 86000# gross in Iowa and 80000 in IL and MO. We could add one axle and go 90000 or 2 more and go 96000,but the other states we go to don't recognize the extra axles or weight . Just a drop in a bucket compared to what you guys down under haul.

I no in Queensland if the internal length of a stock crate is under 41 feet approx including all gates ect there is no weight limit as many as you can fit I think but might be wrong livestock travel a lot further in Australia than anywhere else in the world it wouldn't be uncommon for cattle to travel over a 1000 miles with out being unloaded so if you load sheep with a full fleece in one part of the country and it rains on the way you can pick up more than 10 ton on a trip

Fruehauf did try and sell trailers like the the one above back here 70's they called them Possom Belly but they never took off , cant fit enough cows in cant convert to a normal flat top if needs be slow to load and I think the thing that killed it in the end was the advent of the triaxle which allowed for two 41 foot decks of cattle or 3 decks of sheep and later 4 decks of sheep with advent of purpose built trailers all trailers in Australia are 8foot 2 1/2 inchs out side width or 2.5 meters width

enough waffle from me

Paul

ps can through up some photos of the Fruehauf trailer if anyone is interested

• Like 1

I no in Queensland if the internal length of a stock crate is under 41 feet approx including all gates ect there is no weight limit as many as you can fit I think but might be wrong livestock travel a lot further in Australia than anywhere else in the world it wouldn't be uncommon for cattle to travel over a 1000 miles with out being unloaded so if you load sheep with a full fleece in one part of the country and it rains on the way you can pick up more than 10 ton on a trip

Fruehauf did try and sell trailers like the the one above back here 70's they called them Possom Belly but they never took off , cant fit enough cows in cant convert to a normal flat top if needs be slow to load and I think the thing that killed it in the end was the advent of the triaxle which allowed for two 41 foot decks of cattle or 3 decks of sheep and later 4 decks of sheep with advent of purpose built trailers all trailers in Australia are 8foot 2 1/2 inchs out side width or 2.5 meters width

enough waffle from me

Paul

ps can through up some photos of the Fruehauf trailer if anyone is interested

I'd like to see pics of the trailer.

I too got rid of my 2006 CHN for the lack of fuel mileage and went back to older and newer Dogs. Every ASET engine we had was a huge disappointment.

I loved my Rawhide but couldn't stand the lack of performance that truck was costing me just to look that good.

That is a nice WS. Congrats. I love stories of the poor younger drivers that have no idea of what it was like to drive rigs before or without A/C. LOL.

you guys don't know how hard it was for me to get it thru Mikey's head that we had to get the truck on the road and worry about getting the back wheels swapped later. I'll be the first to agree,they don't look the best,but it has 24.5's on it now with about 35 to 40% tread,they are going to get wore down before I spend money on new tires for the 22.5 aluminums I have to put on it. He got it lettered today while I was in Des Moines for an ATHS meeting,soon as I get some pics,I'll post them.

As far as the AC goes,previous owner stripped out everything under the dash and off the engine,not even a compressor bracket. All thats there is the grilledensor and I'd bet money it leaks. I'm trying to talk him into a roof mount,but he wants to go with something like the vintage air set ups,anyone have any experience with those?

you guys don't know how hard it was for me to get it thru Mikey's head that we had to get the truck on the road and worry about getting the back wheels swapped later. I'll be the first to agree,they don't look the best,but it has 24.5's on it now with about 35 to 40% tread,they are going to get wore down before I spend money on new tires for the 22.5 aluminums I have to put on it. He got it lettered today while I was in Des Moines for an ATHS meeting,soon as I get some pics,I'll post them.

As far as the AC goes,previous owner stripped out everything under the dash and off the engine,not even a compressor bracket. All thats there is the grilledensor and I'd bet money it leaks. I'm trying to talk him into a roof mount,but he wants to go with something like the vintage air set ups,anyone have any experience with those?

I would say red dot would be the way to go. Try one with a heat strip also as who knows how well the heat works in that. Rather have extra then not enough.

I would say red dot would be the way to go. Try one with a heat strip also as who knows how well the heat works in that. Rather have extra then not enough.

We were told the heat works good,coming from the Green Bay area,heat was a bigger concern than AC. It has an auxillary heater in the left luggage compartment.

• Like 1