Ready to hit the road

Mike,i don't don't have any firsthand experience with the Vintage Air type units,have seen them on a few vintage trucks though. I do however know for a fact how well a Red-Dot low profile unit works,friend of mine in Jersey runs an F-Model doing local farm hauls,i have driven the truck,and it will run you out of the cab! pretty much all he did was seal up all the leaks,gaps he could find,and did some extra insulation in the cab,it's short enough you'd hardly notice it on a W-Model..........................Mark

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

Mike I have the middle size vintage air in my B model it works good in a small cab but I think even the largest on wouldn't be big enough for a Cruiseliner. I have a red dot on a R model and it works great, I would rather go with a red dot roof mount. Matt Pfahl had a vintage air and didn't have too good of luck with it, he installed a roof top,dont know what kind though.

Mike is there enough room behind thge grilledenser for a seperate condenser, I did it to a SUperliner in the past and it makes the AC work a whole lot better with a newer style condenser and compressor, and no more bad a/c lines to the grilledenser.

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

Mike is there enough room behind thge grilledenser for a seperate condenser, I did it to a SUperliner in the past and it makes the AC work a whole lot better with a newer style condenser and compressor, and no more bad a/c lines to the grilledenser.

You have any pics? I was told the hood is too close to put one in, in a superliner 2. We want to put a/c back in our superliner but the grilledenser leaks. Everything else is there.

Matt

I did that to my '86 Superliner,and there is plenty of room on this truck too,no ATTAC in front of radiator,but the problem is,everything under the dash is gone too.

If you have the AATAC you fit a condenser between the grill and radiator. Ok, here we go. Get your pen and paper. I fixed the stock A.C. but had to cut hole in dash cover in order to get enough air into cab. If the rear A.C. was hooked up it would freeze you out. As it stands its ok. Remember when I asked you for dash pieces? So I know you have the correct parts. Why is your bunk unit in the left side? Ive had 3 Cruiseliners and all bunk unit were in right side. The evaporator is avialiable here thru a local guy. I replaced just about everything in there. The reason I could not hook rear unit was the only condenser that would fit isn't big enough to handle 2 units. There is very little room under the AATAC and bottom of grill. Also I use R12 Freon because it cools better in the old systems. Hey were 80's all the right down to my 1987 Alpine stereo casset ! LOL. Also keep inmind when doing a condenser when you have air ride cab the grill moves but not the radiator

Remember if it's got a hood it's no good!

I can send you a phone pic if you like. I used a condenser for a Mack RD. I had to drill and tap the radiator frame and add a 3 in piece to the left side to mount it. The good thing is its in front of the fan so the air is pulled thru it.

• Like 1

Remember if it's got a hood it's no good!

I'm fixin to do mine as well while back at mudcungie I found a vender selling used condensers and I bought a good used for a pinnacle I think but it looks like it will go in front of the charge air cooler and still have clearance for the hood / old grilldenser I think it is close to a mid 90's rd688 set up

Mike, you might just wanna remind him how many old Macks YOU drove with NO Ac......?????? My grandfather says the old B models were the worst when they got a few years old and the cab insulation started to break down. said he drove a B62SX on construction with a 464 and quadbox that thy mounted a thermometer to the dash. says 138 degrees in that truck on a hot summer day was cool....

• Like 2

post-6-0-64947600-1408238925_thumb.jpg

I'm fixin to do mine as well while back at mudcungie I found a vender selling used condensers and I bought a good used for a pinnacle I think but it looks like it will go in front of the charge air cooler and still have clearance for the hood / old grilldenser I think it is close to a mid 90's rd688 set up

I believe my dad and i were standing there as you were lookin at them and they were discussing the bumpers. When you said it had to be shipped to Washington i started to put it together.

Matt