Harbor Freight Generators

farmer52

Getting ready to pull the trigger on a portable generator to use around the farm, backup for storm outage, and eventually as power for my trailer living quarters. Used Onan generators (if you can find good ones) are at least $500 but are not portable. And I know "you get what you pay for".

I have been doing alot of research and the HF generators seem to be the best "bang for the buck". They also have good reviews. I narrowed my choices to the following:

3200W rated/4000W peak (212cc) = $299.99

5500W rated/6500W peak (420cc) = $489.99

7000W rated/8750W peak (420cc) = $529.99 (electric start - battery not included)

You cannot use the 25% or 20% discount coupon on generators.....bummer!

I did some calculations and a 5KW-6KW would be adequate but for an extra $40 the 7KW would be the one to buy. Although I probably could get by with a 3KW-4KW unit. Decisions, decisions!

Would like to buy one with an oil filter and hour meter but most do not have these features.

Any experience or "words of wisdom"?

Thanks!

Ken

Ken

PRR Country and Charter member of the "Mack Pack"

That's Harbour Fake! Everything in there is from China. My brothers Father in Law loves that store buys all kinds of junk there. He works at Chryslers and preaches all his crap about driving a North American made car but he's the first one in line for a deal at Harbour Freight. We have our own Canadian version of them here Princess Auto Stores I rarely buy anything there.

• Like 1

My boss loves, and I mean LOVES, princess auto.....then bitches and moans when the shit breaks down and we can't find fn parts for it..."you only cry once when you buy quality"

• Like 1

Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part....

Ken I have the 800/900 watt two stroke generator I bought back at Christmas. It works good and is quiet when using my camper. No I wouldn't want to use it for heavy continuous work but for a power source fir your trailer why not. For my home operation I bought a predator 7000/8750 max generator and it powers my whole home no problem. Had it about 5 years works great. The girls lost power for about 19 hrs during sandy and no problem.

RUN AWAY!!!!

Got a 3000 Champion unit at Lowes about two years ago. It is only for the shop/yard where I park the truck.

Went there today and on the first pull, fired right up. Cost about the same $300-$350 that you are considering.

For the house, I have a 5500 from lowes that is more than enough for here during Hurricane season.

Happen to get a second unit identical to it for $250 several years ago.

As you stated-you get what you pay for.

• Like 2

Success is only a stones throw away.................................................................for a Palestinian

My brother in law had one of the 3000 generators. After about 40 hours of use it failed on him. He bought a Generac after and it's worked flawlessly for him. He has a 4000w one now and it powered all the essentials in his house 9 days continually after Sandy. My sister has a 7500w Generac that she used also during Sandy. It's got a plug to the main box in her house. It ran the heat (just the one zone at a time), fridge, lights, well pump and the kids played video games. Spend a couple extra bucks and buy the better unit. It will save you $ in the long run.

Personally, try to find a used Honda generator. The are very reliable and very quite. Used you can get for reasonable prices.

We bought a small generator from Walmart( :blush: ).... Cheap but it starts first pull no matter how long you let it sit. We leave it out everywhere and use it for everything. Its our "beater" generator. We have a nice big i forget the name but that stays inside and is maintained just as good the the little junk box and that never starts when you need it. Has a V2 Briggs and Stratton on it. The little one us USF? ill have to go out and check.

Matt

I had a buddy that bought a cheap diesel generator from northern tool and a gas generator from harbor freight. Short story, they both went belly up within 2 years. He went back and bought a name brand generator with a Honda engine and has beeeln happy ever since. I have thought about a generator but if I buy it will be a welder/generator, they cost more but they are built well, you have a portable welder (nice with land or out on the road) and they last.

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

Thanks for your thoughts. I guess I will have to start a new search. Being an engineer I like to do research and it's cheaper too. The search continues....

BTW, most stuff these days is made in China. Difficult to find North American made merchandise.

Maybe I should just buy a loooonnnnggg extension cord instead or invest in a few hampsters and a wheel. :whistling:

• Like 1

Ken

Ken you are correct- lots of it is made in China, but I believe Generac's gen set side is made in Japan, and the engines are Briggs & Stratton.

Ken if you are an engineer and want something absolutely bombproof, get full Honda set. They are expensive but the things never quit. Had a buddy bring me a trash pump once- was underwater (dont ask.) All I did was drain the crankcase, refill with oil and pour fresh gas in it, ran it for a few minutes, changed the oil, ran for 2 hours, changed the oil once more and the thing runs fine to this day. Their generators are bombproof too just dont submerge them.

TWO STROKES ARE FOR GARDEN TOOLS

I know Honda's have a great reputation but you pay for it too (not in my budget nor am I using it regularly). I can buy several HF generators for the same price. If one of the HF generators goes bad, I can pitch it or use it for spare parts. I heard rumor that HF engines are Honda "knock offs" but certain the parts are not interchangeable. What is interesting when I compare brands and similar wattage, the engines are the same size. Is this a coincidence or are they actually the same engine? Leaning toward Generac...the engine and assembly are made in USA but not sure about the generator itself.

Maybe I can make enough money from parts at Macungie to buy a Honda.....I will have a "generator donation bucket" but I refuse to ring a bell. Maybe I can get a TK girl to assist with the donations. :whistling:

UPDATE: Home De-POT has the Generac GP6500E on sale for $569 but no stores have it in stock and it can't be ordered for delivery to a store. Go figure!!

Ken

The bad thing is the cheapie ones will end up failing JUST WHEN YOU NEED IT!! After sitting for a long time, blah, blah, blah. Getting parts is nill for them. Buddy got one of thes little two stroke models and it failed right ouf of the box. I think they replaced it for free and the one he has now runs fine. He uses it to charge the battery on his race car at the track.

I've found a couple Onan 4K's on craigslist that people have set up for home use with a jerry can and such. Ya, about $500 is common for a decent running one. That is what I paid. Since I put a new fuel pump on mine, it purrs like a kitten for hours on end. No more surging and sputtering at a half tank of fuel.

I'd like to have a 5-6K unit so I could power the house when need be, but those are a bit more money when you find them. I've found nice larger back up units on craigslist also. Not priced too bad either.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

Here's one:
http://akroncanton.craigslist.org/for/4474848911.html

00H0H_8TwKSMss8rA_600x450.jpg

Those mufflers are no way quiet enough. I put a new stock muffler on mine($65 online) and it is very quiet.

Or help out the WHOLE neighborhood:
http://akroncanton.craigslist.org/hvo/4470830271.html

http://cleveland.craigslist.org/bfs/4472073160.html

or a 6500 watt model:
http://cleveland.craigslist.org/boa/4489908237.html

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"