Tore Up Tuesday

rsb502

This must have been taken around northern IL somewhere. Would be a typical pothole for around these parts.

This must have been taken around northern IL somewhere. Would be a typical pothole for around these parts.

Holy Shit!, thatll make you crap your pants, just riding along on a nice paved road and BAM! in a hole!

• Like 1

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

Saw this on Instagram today. 3 week old Pete with a spanish speaking fella behind the wheel. Lost it on the Jersey Turnpike.

I see these guys running easily 90k all the time on airbags at the dump we run to. None of them are worth a damn behind the wheel. Always see em wearing shorts and sneakers when they get out of the truck.

3703D0CB-4A5E-497C-9ADA-263118C4386B.png

Saw this on Instagram today. 3 week old Pete with a spanish speaking fella behind the wheel. Lost it on the Jersey Turnpike.

I see these guys running easily 90k all the time on airbags at the dump we run to. None of them are worth a damn behind the wheel. Always see em wearing shorts and sneakers when they get out of the truck.

That's a shame. Seems like a waste of a nice new truck.

• 3 weeks later...

seen a guy do that in Everett Wa. years ago he had clay stuck in the box and was jacking the throttle and running the jake to get the tail gate slapping, hitter a little too hard and blew the packing gland and pile drove the ram threw the cab. He had re cabbed the truck and was back on site in 3 days! he used a backhoe to clean the box after that.

I saw this picture on the interwebs a year or two ago and e mailed it to our dispatcher. We were hauling a lot of mats like this at the time, mostly to West Virginia, Ohio, and Pennsylvania. I always put chains on mine, but a lot of guys would just use straps. You can't hurt them, they usually unloaded them with a track hoe, then they lay them on the ground and drive equipment over them.

post-1374-0-60834100-1414059663_thumb.jp

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

yep I would only use chains on some thing like that I reckon straps should be banned you get no feel as to how tight they really are like you do with ropes . I think the only reason they are trying to ban ropes some might (say they already have) is because most people dont know how to use them anymore and rather than people been forced to learn they just give them these poxy straps .Same with dogs they try and make us all use those poxy ratchet type dog instead of the older over center lever type of dogs because blokes just dont how to use them any more (I think you lot over there call dogs load binders ?)

Paul

what you fellas call a head board we call a hurdle out here

Chains, with two crossed over the front edges of the mats if it were me, coincidentally I have a friend that is working a deal to start building those and im in the loop for the haul within 500mi or the rail load out.

paul, I never could get the hang of ropes, just couldnt keep em tight for some reason, and I keep a couple lever binders on the trailer but much prefer the ratchet type. I think lever type binders work ok on anything with some give like rubber tires but anything solid or on tracks i go all ratchet binders.

• Like 1

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

paul, I never could get the hang of ropes, just couldnt keep em tight for some reason, and I keep a couple lever binders on the trailer but much prefer the ratchet type. I think lever type binders work ok on anything with some give like rubber tires but anything solid or on tracks i go all ratchet binders.

mate this is exactley what I mean once you are taught how to use ropes you will never go back to your ratchet strap ropes are so quick just as tight adjust to any length around any shape if its to short there easy to join its a shame because it is a lost art like tarping a load up until the mid to late 80's everything was shifted on flat top trailers in Australia and I reckon it was only the late seventys that trucks came with gates drivers new how to load stuff so it didnt fall off sad to say it but its too late now there wouldnt be enough blokes left to teach people now

you need to learn to do a truckies knot as it is commonly known out here I think the proper name is a half shank you put a couple of these on top of each other and you can break a rope it gives you so much pulling power

this fellas almost got it right have a lookiesee might even give you something to fill in some time on the week end and I guarantee once you work out how to do it you will throw them straps away it is so much quicker and a lot less chance of things falling off :thumb:

Paul

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drkcOzCjuuU

and Im not having a dig at anyone it is almost a lost art and it is good to learn this stuff from our not so distant past its all part of our history we dont want let it go by with learning it

• Like 2

Chains, with two crossed over the front edges of the mats if it were me, coincidentally I have a friend that is working a deal to start building those and im in the loop for the haul within 500mi or the rail load out.

All the "real" steel haulers use ratchet binders. They can chain down a load of coils in a side kit trailer and have it covered before I get started good. Hand tightened is all you need, and there's no slack. We have the lever binders, or "snap" binders as we call them. You always seem to run into a chain being too loose, but too tight to get another link on the chain, so you get another binder out and double bind it on the other side.

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

Way back in early days here at work, we used to only have a snap binder for our 1ton stakebed. Had a super trucker work for us for a short while. While using a pipe to unlatch it, instead of holding onto the back side of the pipe, he just pushed up on the pipe and it went airborne. Like 20+ feet and luckily I ducked, but another fellow employee didn't get out of the way in time and he got WHACKED!! Down for the count. Super trucker didn't even realize what he had done. Needless to say he didn't drive for us long.

Snap binders are a PITA...twisting the chain til it got tight enough to latch good. We dont deal with big coils, but none the less you want to get it tight enough.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"