Mary Hitchings

I hear ya,Dan.After I painted the BCR,I thought I should have left it the previous owners colors.But I didn't and still get lots of compliments.Mixed feelings.

IF YOU BOUGHT IT, A TRUCK BROUGHT IT..AND WHEN YOU'RE DONE WITH IT, A TRUCK WILL HAUL IT AWAY!!! Big John Trimble,WRVA

My truck is still in "General Towing" colors. I like the color scheme and I still get comments from people that remember the truck. Though the bunk kinda throws it off, the typical color scheme is there and I will keep it that way.

I used to bug the previous owner for picture from back in the day, but once he sold the company he packed it all away and doesn't seem to interested in digging it up for me. I'd like to do an article for WOT(ha, ha, ha, well I used to want to).

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

A white 5000 is an engineering marvel to say the least. How many parts on one was specific to just that model? perhaps the whole truck! even the front engine cover of a Cummins is unique to it. The best is that the radiator stays when the cab is tilted and there is something like 7 fan belts to finally make the fan turn?? The advertisement for one stated they were designed for fleet maintenance.

I think their description of fleet maintaince was to keep shop and parts dept. busy.How about the drivers door is about twice as thick as passenger door. Fuel tank mounts are also specific to the 5000 only. Best description of a 5000 is "Wrap your ass in fiberglass".For those that do not realize whole cab is made of fiberglass.I had mine for sale with a few lookers but I think I might keep it.One of the most different looking trucks ever designed from any angle windshields, sleeper shorter than rest of cab. Joe D.

I was told by a few of my Aussie friends that White brought one down under to test it out. They said it came into the dealer after crossing the outback and the FRB gave out around the floor boards and the drivers seat was about to the steering tire below. They called it the Tupperware Tilt Cab!!!

• 10 years later...

I saw the article at the start of this thread on Facelessbook the other day

Back in the 80's I  read a article on her, would of been either English or an Australian magazine 

I gather the trucks and their owners are all long gone now

I wonder if Mary and Andrew ever new their stories made around the world

I did some Googling and I reckon this photo was in the article, but thats probably 35 - 40 years ago now so I may be wrong 

MackTruckAndSuperlinerRestorationbyMickeyDelia.jpeg.f2400e0a8cf49fbddf1e0ed10503abfe.jpeg

She reminds me of another lady I habe met, Miss Elle drives trucks and coaches most of her life

I reckon Elle is even shorter than Mary and is a absolute live wire, in her late 60's now and still full of beans

And she don't stuff about when driving either, I'm flat out keeping up with her

Anyway, totally off topic now

Paul

Or at least they were parked around there somewhere ….Fowler California perhaps has been 35 years of so since I’ve seen them all L models painted the same colors… look like the same trucks , but it’s been lots of years. I don’t know. Also, I missed this somehow when it was first posted …most of these guys have disappeared.. bob

I’m sure a lot Of them survived. Dave Prichard in New Hampshire has one or two of her trucks and is trying to sell them.  I don’t know the price though, or which trucks.  I think Mack Daddy- Dan Thomas has one in Oregon.  Mike 

• Like 2