Learned a new one today!

leversole

Been working at taking the front wheels off to sand and polish the centers...broke my Craftsman 1/2 breaker bar (with a BIG cheater bar)...my Craftsman 1/2 drive torque wrench just laughed at me...so, off to Harbor Freight for a 1" drive impact (2000ft/lbs torque) and a set of 1" sockets...didnt even budge them...chalk that up to not having a 1/2 airline, using my 3/8's line...okay, maybe they haven't been off in a long time and have rusted at the seat...off to the tire place to bust em loose and retighten...passenger side came right loose?!? hmmmmm....on the drivers side I noticed he is loosening to the right!!!! WTF?!?!?!?! Left hand threads???????? Never heard that one before!!!! So, all you newbies out there, stud pilot threads on the drivers side are LEFT HANDED! :blush:

Maybe we ought to start a "Newbie Tips" thread and put little jewels like this in it!

• Like 1

They've always been that way as far back as I can remember Leslie, but don't feel too bad.

I had "truck mechanic" that was working at a place next door to where I store and work on my "ED"

He came over one day last year and asked if I had a long piece of pipe he could borrow?

I asked him what he needed it for?

He said he was trying to get the wheels of an older International to put bake pads on it, had the right side off but couldn't get the nuts on left side to budge!!

I knew what the problem was and went next door to help him------He did the same thing you did---WTF??!!??, Left Hand Threads??!!??

Ron

Thank you Leslie, good edvice.

I knew it but didn't keep on my mind.

Going to take some wheels off so your mention is quite to the moment.

And I might make a real crash - I have 1" socket set.

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

Back a few years ago i was working late and the night guys had came in. One had a freightliner chassis RV in and had both front wheels off. He was in the next bay and i saw him after he had put both front hubs and wheels on sitting there rubbing his head. I ask if he was ok and he said he had just install the left on the right side and the right on the left side and would it hurt anything. I said its not right but will not hurt nothen but the tire man ant going to like you later. He let that RV out of there and maybe 6 months later it was in there for excess front tire wear.He by accident drawed this job and he was to replace the brakes when he got thru with front aligment or what ever he was doing to it..Yes he beat on one side with a impac for some time before he was told to try looking at the L and R in the end of the stud.

glenn akers

Happend a year ago at a shop in WI. Getting steer tires I had to wait so I took off 10 nut covers a side then pulled the truck in and had to wait in the waiting room. Well when it was time to go they say I have a broken wheel stud that it was gone when they took the wheel off. So I point to the nut covers on the trailer and say there's 10 a side. There best defense was to act stupped it pisses you off cause the studs are marked L and R.

Just adding my two cents (Canadian)....

watch out for tire shops using "nut buster" guns... even if they recognise the "L" stamped on the stud and undo them without damage, watch out to ensure they don't hang on the trigger too long when fitting them back on...

reason.... these types of air gun are calibrated with 'extra' torque when spinning left hand.... it is used to assist in removing seized conventional hub piloted nuts which are right hand thread in all positions...

the "technician" can run the gun too hard to the left, distorting or even stripping the threads... he will use his torque wrench after and it will click at 450 not knowing he probably applied 800+

if you have aluminum hubs this overtorque can crack the hub... I found one on my bus as a result of a nut buster on the left front...

on the matter of left and right hubs switched side to side.... that is an automatic test fail, and DOT should clamp your truck if they see it... the budd nuts are directional for a reason, it is part of the fail safe in the design...

your mileage may vary... !!!

BC Mack

• 2 weeks later...

I believe Dodge did that up till a few years ago. Maybe they still do, can't afford a new one.

Chrysler changed from using LH threads around 1973. I owned a 1973 Duster 340 and it had RH threads all around.

Ken

PRR Country and Charter member of the "Mack Pack"

Yup. My old 8N tractor is righty-tighty lefty-loosy on one side & lefty-tighty righty-loosy on the other. Same with the trailer my grandpa built back in '51 using the front axle from an old (at that time) Willy's....so I just figured that's the way things used to be. I've known about left-handed threads since I was 7 or 8 years old, so it didn't surprise me in the least that my truck with the stud-piloted wheels was like that.

I thought for sure all you old-timers would have been intimately familiar with them...

When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

Been working at taking the front wheels off to sand and polish the centers...broke my Craftsman 1/2 breaker bar (with a BIG cheater bar)...my Craftsman 1/2 drive torque wrench just laughed at me...so, off to Harbor Freight for a 1" drive impact (2000ft/lbs torque) and a set of 1" sockets...didnt even budge them...chalk that up to not having a 1/2 airline, using my 3/8's line...okay, maybe they haven't been off in a long time and have rusted at the seat...off to the tire place to bust em loose and retighten...passenger side came right loose?!? hmmmmm....on the drivers side I noticed he is loosening to the right!!!! WTF?!?!?!?! Left hand threads???????? Never heard that one before!!!! So, all you newbies out there, stud pilot threads on the drivers side are LEFT HANDED! :blush:

Maybe we ought to start a "Newbie Tips" thread and put little jewels like this in it!

Never had much success using a 1/2" drive on "bigger" trucks. Lol I learned at a young age why there was 3/4" and 1" drive sockets in my dads tool box.

I even went and bought me a nice 3/4" IR impact just for the stretch job on my B. Sure does come in handy!! Even hooked a nice 50ft 1/2" line to the compressor for that added "punch". Got it off Amazon for about $200 if I recall? Was not the bottom of the line, but couldn't afford the top LOL!

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

Yup. My old 8N tractor is righty-tighty lefty-loosy on one side & lefty-tighty righty-loosy on the other. Same with the trailer my grandpa built back in '51 using the front axle from an old (at that time) Willy's....so I just figured that's the way things used to be. I've known about left-handed threads since I was 7 or 8 years old, so it didn't surprise me in the least that my truck with the stud-piloted wheels was like that.

I thought for sure all you old-timers would have been intimately familiar with them...

We forget stuff easily.

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

Had the same problem with my apprentice. He bent and broke about 2 wrenches and god knows how many extention bars. I saw him bringing up the burning gear and thought he was only taking the wheels off, came out the office and pointed out the "L" and "R" marked on the studs. If your not sure ask, don't just keep banging your head against a brick wall.

I only use a 1/2" gun on a 3/8" air line on mine so they aren't over torqued. If you use anti sieze on the studs they go right on and come right off with a good 1/2". The left/right thread thing used to be common knowledge to any mechanic but since the start of use of hub piloted wheels in the early 90's its is dying off. And yeah they have been around over 20years now, time flys when your having fun! (Or drunk)

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

I only use a 1/2" gun on a 3/8" air line on mine so they aren't over torqued. If you use anti sieze on the studs they go right on and come right off with a good 1/2". The left/right thread thing used to be common knowledge to any mechanic but since the start of use of hub piloted wheels in the early 90's its is dying off. And yeah they have been around over 20years now, time flys when your having fun! (Or drunk)

That is what we always do, use our 1/2 gun and anti sieze but sometimes when we trade for a truck or trailer the 1 inch impact usally has to come off the wall! We never called them pilot stud we always called the thimble lugs, I always thought the pilots were the later style with 1 5/16 lug that only had the one nut and both wheels come off, a lot better to deal with and the lugs don't get stuck in the wheels like the thimble because of lack of anti seize and sometimes they get over tighten and they sink thougth the wheel, that's why we use the 1/2 inch drive and go over them a few times not to mention it is a lot easier to hold up.

I believe Dodge did that up till a few years ago. Maybe they still do, can't afford a new one.

My Dad had a '71 Chrysler 300 with lh threads on the driver's side. He got quite a laugh watching me try to break the nuts loose when taking the snow tires off one year.

Jim