DOT Physical requirements.....................anyone done it yet?

Freightrain

Ok, here's the deal.

Usually have my own doctor fill mine out. What a PITA, the girls in the office usually do most of the tests and really bomb it. Then they fail to fill it all out correctly. Last time I had to drop it back off due to Dr failing to sign it all correctly(another week wait). Ugh. Many years back I just used the Chiro at the one truck stop as it was easy. Walk in, pay and he did it all up. Now, with the new regs, is that possible? Unfortunately that truck stop was bought out and is being renovated(not open).

I don't want to deal with my doctor, I've only got a couple weeks left on my card now. Reading the regs, it mentions "certification", which makes it looks like they have to send something into Feds to register to be able to do this? Or is this not correct? I googled and found a few variations. Did find a link that showed a local Chiro is "registered" for DOT physicals, so I was thinking of setting up appt.

from FMCSA website:

"Drivers operating in certain types of commerce will be required to submit a current medical examiner’s certificate to their SDLA to obtain a “certified” medical status as part of their driving record. CDL holders required to have a ”certified” medical status who fail to provide and keep up-to-date their medical examiner’s certificate with their SDLA will become ”not-certified” and they may lose their CDL."

Then I saw ads for DOT physicals at Walgreens and CVS pharmacies. For "truckers", etc. Does that mean they are "registered"? They have "walk in" appts, for like $80.

Just want to get this done "right". Granted, I don't really "need" my CDL, but don't want a letter coming from them telling me it's no good because I had the wrong doctor look at me. Just like any other guberment project, it's difficult and misleading and likely no one to call to get the correct answer.

Just looking to see if anyone has dealt with it yet? My license is up in July.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

I just got my new med card last week and same as always but in okla you can opp out to a indorsement of K on you CDL but your only good to drive in the state and no truck driving outer state.With the K indorsesment they dont give you a hearing test or eye test. Cant hardly belive that but some of the guys i work with has been doing that.

glenn akers

In Ohio, you can also chose 1, 2, 3, 4 depending on what you are doing. I want to keep mine at 1 as I do go outta state, though I'm not "commercial". No sense in doing it half assed. I just wondered if anyone has been questioned about it when they were at DMV.

Larry

The doctor's office does have to be registered, certified, approved, or something now, where you used to be able to go about anywhere and get a DOT physical. Probably because there were some places around where if you walked in under your own power and had the money, you passed.

If they're advertising DOT physicals they're more than likely approved. Only thing different here in Va. when I got mine renewed in December was that you have to mail or fax a copy of the physical to the Va. DMV now within so many days or your CDL will be suspended.

Was that the truckstop down at exit 100, or 101? I noticed when I was there they had a sign saying you could get DOT physicals there.

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

Larry, I had my physical in November and it was done by a chiropractor who advertises DOT Physical. He is located on the TruckWorld complex in Hubbard. I then went to the License Bureau to register it with the state. You can mail or fax it in but I wanted a receipt showing that I had registered it with he state. Think the charge was $3.50 or less but that was cheap insurance to be certain Ohio had it. I was recently in an Urgent Care and they advertised DOT physicals.

Denny

330-550-6020

A "Mack Pack" Charter Member

Larry,

I just had mine done.

The company sends us to Lodi hospital and we are in a pool for random drug and alcohol testing.

You may be able to get hooked up with Lodi, the phone number is 330-948-1222.

the company requires us to register as a 3 with the state, but I register as a 1 as I also traval out of state with my personal truck.

I never went to the DMV, I e-mail the medical certification to the state.

Jeff

The Docs will all have to be certified,but not until sometime in 2014 and it only applies if you drive Interstate,if you drive local you can

still go to your own doc,when I renewed my license the girl at dmv glanced at my cert and just nodded and still made me read the eye chart.. I found that info on the dot website so it's hot hearsay.

Never mix business with pleasure. That advise applies to doctors, too. When you go to see your family doctor, you want to be able to openly discuss anything and everything that might be going on in your life as it affects your health....WITHOUT having to worry about how that simple conversation or innocent comment might affect your ability to earn a living. When it comes time to get your DOT physical, go to a different doctor...one who specializes in DOT physicals, and knows how to fill out the forms properly. As far as he's concerned, you've never felt better. No health problems. No issues to be discussed. If it is on the form, answer the question...but don't volunteer the information about what else might be bothering you....save those conversations for your personal doctor.

True, very good point indeed. My eye doctor told me I should get my cholesterol and blood sugar checked, because i'd never had either tested before. I made sure I got the DOT physical first, now i'm good for 2 years. If i'd had the tests first and my sugar or cholesterol had been high I probably couldn't have gotten my certification card renewed until I got all that straightened out.

I like your spin on that Rowdy. I think you're right on the money. We have a local chiropractor that does it, and that made it simple and easy. Since they revised the blood pressure criteria, you need to make sure you're nice and mellow when you go in, and oh yes, you sleep like a rock all night every night.

See my Flickr photostream page

http://www.flickr.com/photos/96692978@N05/

Tom, ya, the old Gullivers. Bought out by Pilot? It's been bulldozed and building new(haven't actually seen it, but was told it's gone).

I'll call that Chiro or stop at CVS this coming week. Want to get it handled before the 21st.

Larry

I got a letter in the mail a few months ago sayin that if I did not get my Medical card sent in that they were going to remove my CDL from my license and I would have to re-take all of my permit / crap again. So I went and got it done ($130.00) and Overnighted them their damn medical card.

Really stupid. this is in Pennsylvania

I like your spin on that Rowdy. I think you're right on the money. We have a local chiropractor that does it, and that made it simple and easy. Since they revised the blood pressure criteria, you need to make sure you're nice and mellow when you go in, and oh yes, you sleep like a rock all night every night.

oh,yeah,forgot about that, another good point- very important, don't tell them you wake up every few minutes smuffocating!

In the past I got my DOT physical and medical card from the company doctor (no charge). Now that I am retired I am going to ask my family doc if he does DOT physicals. If not I may be stopping by CVS. Keep me updated Larry.

Ken

PRR Country and Charter member of the "Mack Pack"

Tn you now have to turn a copy in to the state to be kept on file with your license and sign an affidavit declaring what type of driver you are( inter/ intranet, for hire, etc.) More b.s.

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

I got a letter in the mail a few months ago sayin that if I did not get my Medical card sent in that they were going to remove my CDL from my license and I would have to re-take all of my permit / crap again. So I went and got it done ($130.00) and Overnighted them their damn medical card.

Really stupid. this is in Pennsylvania

I got the same letter. I called PennDot and bitched about how they worded it.Turns out they had received numerous complaints. I'll find out if they decided to tone it down in 2016.

My DOT's have always been through company doctors. Some are thorough while others don't have a clue if they just signed off on a ticking time bomb.

Jim

Walked in this morning and presto----no one in line. Got it done. $104 complete with urine test(that's $25 of it). Man...super cute, young lil blonde nurse working. Would let her do another hernia check anytime she wants LOL!!!!! It's funny, she had to call in a "witness" for that test. Ok, so in comes another young girl from the pharmacy LOL!! The girl from the pharmacy was peeking(though they are only suppose to be standing, looking in the corner). I caught her and smiled at her. She turned around real quick LMAO!!!

Of course my BP was high(ya, would be with her around). Had to take it 3 times to get it down to "normal". Was 144 first time, then 152 second. One last try was 133(told her so). All in all, she was very professional. I thanked her and she thanked me.

Well, life is good. Back to square one. Ken, I suggest coming to N. Canton for your test :banana:

• Like 2

Larry

In illiniois is this test required to keep your cdl? i had one and it just expired and i was told you will just get a ticket if you dont have one. I have never even been asked to show it in the first place so i was wondering

Slow and Steady Wins the Race!

Uh yeah DDS, Federal law requires all CDL holders to have a current Medical card. if anyone needs it 20-40 on the approved eye chart is F-E-L-O-P-Z-D. funny what you can remember when you dont want to I havent been able to get that out of my head for 3 years.

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"