Your thoughts on exporting old macks?!

Go to solution Solved by mackman1965,

Exporting old Macks?!  

55 members have voted

1. 1. Do you care if old macks are exported to third world countries?

• YES i care,keep them here!
    • NO,send them out of the country!

I'd also love to have my cake and eat it too! I think exporting is a travesty to the American trucking history and I HATE, YES HATE to see it shipped to another contry for a slimey profit just so foreigners can beat the s**t out of them and never EVER appreciate the trucks and the history. They have no clue what they're doing when it comes to the appreciation of them like we do here! When I see and old MAck for sale and it says above it "Export ready" etc... it makes me nautious and I wish I had Bill Gates money to start a Mack farm! LOL Well thats my input!

• Like 1

If I ever sell my Mack, I would prefer/hope that it would remain local but I wouldnt refuse the money from a reputable person in another country. I have a few Studebaker cars and I watch the U.S. market on these and have seen several very nice examples come up for sale within the last 3 or 4 years only to see them sold to customers in Australia. I hate to see them leave our shores but I have seen the Aussies either restore or maintain these cars and show them at their local car shows with great pride. Not many people care about Studebakers in this country so it is nice to see people in a foreign country value them so highly.

With that said, let's try to keep all of the C-600, B-75 and L-series Mack trucks here at home. :)

• Like 1

OK,here's my chance to piss some people off,but I've never been one to beat around the bush.I'm as against exporting our old Macks as much as anybody,and I've probably saved more old Macks from the crusher than 90% of the people in here,but the people to blame for all these old trucks being available for export is today's drivers.If I have big trucking company made up of old R models with 300's and 5 speeds and Cruiseliners,and MH's on camelback, and my competion has brand new Visions,,Volvos,KW's and Petes with A/C,CD players,heat,P/S,air ride,autoshift,cruise,big bunks and fancy seats,whose seats are going to be filled??????Granted there are a few of us hardcore guys that drive the old equipment with pride and are damned happy doing so,but we are very,very ,very few and far between when it comes to the big picture. And the days of Overnite and Smith Transfer and Matlack are gone,guys,They'd buy new F's and R's run them 10 years and fefurb them and run them some more.When they finally got traded,there was a good US market for them,farmers,local haulers,poor O/O's all ran old R's and F's and U's but now those same farmers and other 2nd hand buyers want 379 Petes with 425 Cats,and W900's and Classic FL's and the ones that don't give a shit buy the IH 9400's and Volvo's and Columbias.OK,so we got all these R models and DM's and MH's and Superliners on the market,chances are good that the some if not most of the best will find good homes here,then we got the ones nobody wants.The guys in Africa and S.America have some of the toughest conditions on the planet and they need the toughest trucks on the planet,and they got the money,which unfortunately $$$ means alot more to Joe Trucksalesman than the history of Mack trucks.So they buy up the old ones right and left,and parts right and left.Now,contrary to what some of you have seen and heard,Most of these trucks get cared for as good or better there than here.Yes,there are some that don't,but there are some that don't here too.Look at the pics from Puerto Rico that EM285 posts,those guys down there love there Macks too.So,what do we do?One thing you can do if you don't like Macks leaving the country is go out,put your money where your mouth is and each person in here needs to buy 150 Macks,already got my 150,so I'm done.What is there 3000 memebers or so?that's 450,000 trucks saved,problem solved.Otherwise just sit back and save the ones you can,and hope the rest go to the good homes,where they continue to uphold the old Mack legacy as the Greatest Name in Trucks.I'm done,throw stones if you like.

well said Mike, very well said.

• Like 1

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

I will add my 2 cents FWIW...in general I am against exporting Macks (or most other stuff). But the big issue is pricing. Exporters have customers who are willing to pay more than the true value of the vehicle/part/etc. So that makes it more difficult for "Joe Common Person" to purchase vehicles. Sellers see these "over inflated" prices and inflate the price. When "Joe Common Person" sees a vehicle for sale, it is usually passed by because of price. So unless one has the $$$$$ the vehicles are exported.

I paid more for my MH than the "actual" value because the "sister" trucks were being sold to an exporter. In order to "save" this one I had to match the price. So this takes away capital that could be used to purchase other vehicles, parts, etc. I have limited funds but it seems the foreign enities have unlimited funds. I do not have a business so everything I purchase is for "hobby use". It is difficult to justify (even borrow funds) for an item that is for "fun".

• Like 1

Ken

PRR Country and Charter member of the "Mack Pack"

I cringe at the thought of some camel jockey in Zimbobwe, or Skinny in Mogadishu scratching and cramming at the gears with a big wad of Kat in his jaw, or the thought of a giant 16 yard load of poppies headed for the cocaine factory, then the U.S. Its scary to think if we do get them back, it will be melted down and in the form of an artillery shell or dirty bomb. Keep em here! randyp

• Like 1

There have been several well thought out opinions expressed here and I do believe both sides are well represented.

Until you've met some of the guys who come over and buy these old trucks, you'll have a hard time understanding how hard SOME of these guys have worked, and how much sacrifice went into raising the money to buy some of the old, abused and neglected trucks that have been sitting forgotten for years, never to be used again.

To presume that they all are coming over with pockets full of money to take what is part of our past is to presume that they all have no respect for the great trucks that we feel should be kept here in our country. Nothing could be further from the truth, they see these trucks as potentially providing for them security and something else we seem to have forgotten in this country ( RESPECT )

I've known of whole extended families all working together and saving for years to get the money to buy one old DM 685 dumptruck . Maybe, they will come back when they can afford to buy another truck. If they do, they are always proud to tell you how that one old truck transformed their lives and how it will be in their family for many years to come,SOUNDS KINDA LIKE PEOPLE IN THIS COUNTRY USED TO FEEL

As for filling all export trucks with illegal immigrants, how about we offer a trade of about ten of our professional (abused and misunderstood) habitual welfare recipients and one old decrepit truck for every lone individual willing to work, pay taxes, abide by our laws and become part of the solution and not the problem of (entitlement ) based solely on having been born in this " THE LAND OF OPPORTUNITY ".

:SMOKIE-RT:

Well said, i've used all my likes up again.

"Pat, i'd like to buy a like".

"OK, Vanna give him some- a like, give him a like! Vanna, git your clothes back on!"

• Like 2

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

OK,here's my chance to piss some people off,but I've never been one to beat around the bush.I'm as against exporting our old Macks as much as anybody,and I've probably saved more old Macks from the crusher than 90% of the people in here,but the people to blame for all these old trucks being available for export is today's drivers.If I have big trucking company made up of old R models with 300's and 5 speeds and Cruiseliners,and MH's on camelback, and my competion has brand new Visions,,Volvos,KW's and Petes with A/C,CD players,heat,P/S,air ride,autoshift,cruise,big bunks and fancy seats,whose seats are going to be filled??????Granted there are a few of us hardcore guys that drive the old equipment with pride and are damned happy doing so,but we are very,very ,very few and far between when it comes to the big picture. And the days of Overnite and Smith Transfer and Matlack are gone,guys,They'd buy new F's and R's run them 10 years and fefurb them and run them some more.When they finally got traded,there was a good US market for them,farmers,local haulers,poor O/O's all ran old R's and F's and U's but now those same farmers and other 2nd hand buyers want 379 Petes with 425 Cats,and W900's and Classic FL's and the ones that don't give a shit buy the IH 9400's and Volvo's and Columbias.OK,so we got all these R models and DM's and MH's and Superliners on the market,chances are good that the some if not most of the best will find good homes here,then we got the ones nobody wants.The guys in Africa and S.America have some of the toughest conditions on the planet and they need the toughest trucks on the planet,and they got the money,which unfortunately $$$ means alot more to Joe Trucksalesman than the history of Mack trucks.So they buy up the old ones right and left,and parts right and left.Now,contrary to what some of you have seen and heard,Most of these trucks get cared for as good or better there than here.Yes,there are some that don't,but there are some that don't here too.Look at the pics from Puerto Rico that EM285 posts,those guys down there love there Macks too.So,what do we do?One thing you can do if you don't like Macks leaving the country is go out,put your money where your mouth is and each person in here needs to buy 150 Macks,already got my 150,so I'm done.What is there 3000 memebers or so?that's 450,000 trucks saved,problem solved.Otherwise just sit back and save the ones you can,and hope the rest go to the good homes,where they continue to uphold the old Mack legacy as the Greatest Name in Trucks.I'm done,throw stones if you like.

Not much I can add to that, Very well said.

Unfortunately there will be 150 (149 would be the best case scenario) that I will not likely be saving. Hopefully most of those will be bought by caring Mack entusiasts and remain in this country.

Jim

The one thing you guys didn't hit on is with the devaluation of the US dollar since this clown has been in office it's cheaper for foreigners to purchase from us now so they are buying up vehicles like crazy and shipping them overseas. I sell classic and muscle cars and in the past couple months we had 5 cars go out of country, most recently a 1968 Camaro. Now these are different then a Mack as they are being sold to collectors/enthusiasts. Still these trucks are going to be used and live on.

As much as I would like to keep every car in the US I still have a job to do and a living to make. So as someone in the business I can see why these are getting shipped out. Bring the value of the dollar back up and less are going to leave our shores.

Now as a truck enthusiast I find it sad when I see just about every R model listed for sale with Port Delivery available. I would love to save everything I can but money and lack of space prevents me doing this. I am still working on buying my first.

at first i hated hauling to the port but after awhile i noticed 98% of the stuff i hauled was junk, yea there might be a nice part here or there, most of the trucks dont run cant stop or rust out cabs dashes all busted up, these are not collectable or rare trucks, they are company trucks that are junk, i hate seeing any good truck go, but look at CA they wont even let you have a good truck, you got to buy some over priced mechanical nightmare, so who would buy these old trucks and put them to work in a fleet but a few die hard's like super dog said, and our beloved mack corp's not helping at all with parts, we are in a real head wind here, and its not getting any easy'r. just my opinion .

It's pretty sad when foreigners ( PAI ) produce parts that you can't get from the manufacturer.

There have been several well thought out opinions expressed here and I do believe both sides are well represented.

Until you've met some of the guys who come over and buy these old trucks, you'll have a hard time understanding how hard SOME of these guys have worked, and how much sacrifice went into raising the money to buy some of the old, abused and neglected trucks that have been sitting forgotten for years, never to be used again.

To presume that they all are coming over with pockets full of money to take what is part of our past is to presume that they all have no respect for the great trucks that we feel should be kept here in our country. Nothing could be further from the truth, they see these trucks as potentially providing for them security and something else we seem to have forgotten in this country ( RESPECT )

I've known of whole extended families all working together and saving for years to get the money to buy one old DM 685 dumptruck . Maybe, they will come back when they can afford to buy another truck. If they do, they are always proud to tell you how that one old truck transformed their lives and how it will be in their family for many years to come,SOUNDS KINDA LIKE PEOPLE IN THIS COUNTRY USED TO FEEL

As for filling all export trucks with illegal immigrants, how about we offer a trade of about ten of our professional (abused and misunderstood) habitual welfare recipients and one old decrepit truck for every lone individual willing to work, pay taxes, abide by our laws and become part of the solution and not the problem of (entitlement ) based solely on having been born in this " THE LAND OF OPPORTUNITY ".

:SMOKIE-RT:

AMEN, Brother!!

Jake