B-81SX on ebay - too nice for me

Well, here is the truck I want -

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230755563334&viewitem=&sspagename=ADME%3AB%3ASS%3AUS%3A1123

Can't afford this one, wouldn't really want it anyway - all I would do is scratch it up driving in the woods, tear the muffler off, install ugly Napa oil filters, run over sumpin and install wrong size tires, rip seat with screwdriver in pocket, feed cows with it and have them kick hole in grill, park in field with hosses and have them eat the paint, pull engine kill lever all the way out with hand, unhook trailer without lowering jacks - tear off fenders - make new ones out of barn roofing, heat the gearshift levers and bend them in cool shape, fill with tractor gas instead of diesel, let mulch from tub grinder collect in all the wrong places - start fire, walk on cab roof to reach lightbulbs - dent roof - knock off lights - headliner fill up with water, forget to tighten oil plug, leave radio on all night - freeze batteries, bend over to look down in well - drop keys out of overall's front pocket, plug in eur-O-pee-an phone charger - short out wiring harness, forget to check antifreeze.............

.I better stick with ugly working trucks - I am just like the guy at the dance that leaves the purty gal standing on the wall, and goes after the ugly one 'cause he thinks that is the best he can do.

I am only talking about trucks here - in no way should you construe this to mean my wife is not the best looking gal around - she is the only time in my life I hit the jackpot - someone who is beautiful and who will put up with ME!.

ummm-should we tell the broker that the truck is a tandem? or just bargain down on the price?

It is a beauty, but needs some black paint

Success is only a stones throw away.................................................................for a Palestinian

ummm-should we tell the broker that the truck is a tandem? or just bargain down on the price?

It is a beauty, but needs some black paint

Yeah - that's what I want to do - throw rocks at the one I can't afford

I agree on the black paint - the tanks look wrong in red and when all the lines and everything else from the cab back is the same color, then like the old TV set, it just needs some contrast

Always frosts me to see someone spend all this time,effort and money on what should be (and could be) a first class restoration,and then overlook the small details,like the rusty,pitted gauge bezels,rats nest of wires under the dash............but,the truck is from Jersey,so thats gotta count for something!.........Mark

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

Could deff use some black paint. As well as less paint on the wireing under the cab, and frame. And less paint on the hoses and copper tubing as well. Would make the truck more worth it for the price. All the right gauges and shift plate to. Just saying for the price.

Not like mine will be any better lol.

Could deff use some black paint. As well as less paint on the wireing under the cab, and frame. And less paint on the hoses and copper tubing as well. Would make the truck more worth it for the price. All the right gauges and shift plate to. Just saying for the price.

Not like mine will be any better lol.

You know I am suspicious of too much paint. Its like they are trying to hide something. From factory the brake and electric lines are painted but that how Mack and other manufactures do things on an assembly line. On a restoration it tells me they didn't have the time/money/care to tear the frame down and who knows what kind of rust or worn out wiring/plumbing is covered in paint.

Not that its not a beautiful or clean truck, I just like a little contrast in colors and less paint all over everything.

-Thad

What America needs is less bull and more Bulldog!

Why did they paint the bottom of the engine red and the top is ??? Kinda like Joan Rivers...strip off the war paint and its a tired old hag....but resale red sells. Paul

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Nice truck but I'd be suspicious that it was overhaul by DuPont, not a true tear down/re-build that that kind of money should buy. Thats why you have to go see them before you buy 'em.

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

Guest 45LMSWM

Man...everybody ALWAYS has something negative to say on here. Take care everybody, Time for this guy to find a new place to play.

-John

• Like 1

Man...everybody ALWAYS has something negative to say on here. Take care everybody, Time for this guy to find a new place to play. -John
I wish you would not take that stance but won't impede your progress however you wish. All have valued input from both personal experience, and bravery behind the keyboard at times. Some of this is positive, some negative and not everybody is happy constantly.

Take from this what you will but you, as well as anyone else are welcome to participate, or depart at your leisure and choosing. I have put my personal "spin" into the building of this website to fit all forms and functions as this is the way we live our lives. Adaption and overcomming is a large part of this. Because I do not like him personally, I don't tell the minister to go "Fuck Himself" at church, even though he has been caught with his hand both in the till, and choir leader's pants, because it isn't the right thing to do. Likewise, I won't ban or flag a participant due to not liking their posts as my basic rules are reletively simple in nature: Don't use this website to attack, or discredit another individual participant, or sponsor that helps bring us together in this fellowship, or I will act within my capacity.

In the past you have offered many subjects of knowlege found useful to many. I don't want to see that lost so would like for you to reconsider departing. It's alright to let off the steam at times, but to take your knowlege base away is unfair to many more than just yourself.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Man...everybody ALWAYS has something negative to say on here. Take care everybody, Time for this guy to find a new place to play. -John

Hey John,

I wouldn't take anything on the internet seriously. Its just a place where we get to shoot our mouths off with little or no repercussion in the real world. Like what you like and ignore what you don't.

To me the comments are not negative, most are criticizing the over use of one paint color and lack of attention to details. Everyone agrees is a damn fine looking truck.

It would be a shame if you quit participating on this site. Your great wealth of heavy haul knowledge and Mack trucks is not only appreciated but valued here. And like Rob, I would hate to see you go.

-Thad

What America needs is less bull and more Bulldog!

It would be a shame if you quit participating on this site. Your great wealth of heavy haul knowledge and Mack trucks is not only appreciated but valued here. And like Rob, I would hate to see you go.

John, I agree with Rob and Thad. Please stick around.

Why did they paint the bottom of the engine red and the top is ??? Kinda like Joan Rivers...strip off the war paint and its a tired old hag....but resale red sells. Paul

that very interesting,,,didnt register with me,,,but ya,,the under part looks better than the top,,,very nice work,,,but dont think he,ll get that price,,,and ya i agree it needs some black paint on it,,,,definately not hard to look at.bob

John, There's eight thousand members here. Don't choke the chicken just because it layed a few bad eggs.

Am I A, or THE, "spoiled, or rotten" one of the bunch?????

Inquiring minds want to know.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Speaking of all the red paint that was used on this truck,that is the way we ordered all of our trucks from Mack.We had everything but the motor painted red right from the factory.It was something my grandfather started and my dad did the same.Just my 2 cent.Mike

In my opinion the negative comments are getting a little much for me too. This happens to be a very nice truck that I have seen in person. Someone has put a lot of time and money into it. For you guys to pick it apart because of its faults and not see the whole package is annoying. It is very easy to play arm chair restorer. Get out your sand blast pot, welder, spray gun etc, and post pictures of your restored truck. Then we can compare your talent and critique your truck against this one. Think the price is too high? The price on trucks is always too high for many on this forum. Many of these trucks do have value significantly higher than what they will bring across the scale. Have you ever searched for a restorable B81? Have you ever done the math on what it would take to make your $2000 truck look like this one? I doubt it. It is much harder and more expensive than many of you think.

This is a hobby and I understand that you do not restore trucks to turn a profit. You are lucky if you can even break even, and this is without taking into consideration your own labor. You do this because you love it. But this does not mean that a persons restored project does not have value.

I have always tried to add to this forum when I had something to offer. I have also gotten a ton of great information as well. I will talk about Mack trucks all day long, but bashing anyones truck because of some minor imperfections on a public forum is something that I will not do.

• Like 1

I may be stupid - wait, let me rephrase that - I am stupid. But I know enough that no one on here REALLY means to be negative towards this truck. I started this thread because I would love to have this truck, it is beautiful so who wouldnt? but I am realistic enough to know that for my use, it honestly is too nice for me!

The beauty of this forum is that opinions are freely expressed, usually that is each individual's way of showing how they would have done something different, choose different colors, add or subtract from a trucks original set up or whatever. But this is not intended to take away from the way the seller or poster did it.

I know that I have learned a lot from reading on here when guys notice little things that are not original or not their top choice if they were going to fix it up themselves. But that is just their opinion, they still respect the other person's best paint color choice, skill level with fiberglass, financial ability, and time commitments that all pool together to form what the owner was able to do. Everyone on here wants to see a Mack restored.

As far as price, I think all guys that know trucks have a tendency to not want to pay what restored trucks are really worth, and why does this offend anyone? Usually this is because they have the ability that 90 percent of the public does not have - the abiltiy to restore something themselves. Don't sell it for less money than you want for it. From the day I fixed up my first pickup, I learned that it is awfully hard to ever get your total money back out of a vehicle unless you buy one cheap and just resell it without doing any work on it (how often does that happen?) I am a firm believer that the owner of anything has the right to set whatever price he wants when he goes to sell it. And everyone else has the right to make offers, or tell the seller what they think it is worth - that has nothing to do with what the final sale price is. That should not offend anyone - the seller does not have to take it. If the price is true to the current market value, it will sell, if not, it won't.

I know that I personally would never be offended by any of the comments I have read on this thread if they were directed towards a truck I owned. They are directed towards the truck, not towards my worth as a person! Here more than anywhere else that I have found on the internet, all opinions, thoughts, and knowledge is appreciated and almost always is never intended to be negative or drive someone away.

Sorry to be so wordy, I am so tight with money, I stretched my two cents into a quarter.

I may be stupid - wait, let me rephrase that - I am stupid. But I know enough that no one on here REALLY means to be negative towards this truck. I started this thread because I would love to have this truck, it is beautiful so who wouldnt? but I am realistic enough to know that for my use, it honestly is too nice for me!

The beauty of this forum is that opinions are freely expressed, usually that is each individual's way of showing how they would have done something different, choose different colors, add or subtract from a trucks original set up or whatever. But this is not intended to take away from the way the seller or poster did it.

I know that I have learned a lot from reading on here when guys notice little things that are not original or not their top choice if they were going to fix it up themselves. But that is just their opinion, they still respect the other person's best paint color choice, skill level with fiberglass, financial ability, and time commitments that all pool together to form what the owner was able to do. Everyone on here wants to see a Mack restored.

As far as price, I think all guys that know trucks have a tendency to not want to pay what restored trucks are really worth, and why does this offend anyone? Usually this is because they have the ability that 90 percent of the public does not have - the abiltiy to restore something themselves. Don't sell it for less money than you want for it. From the day I fixed up my first pickup, I learned that it is awfully hard to ever get your total money back out of a vehicle unless you buy one cheap and just resell it without doing any work on it (how often does that happen?) I am a firm believer that the owner of anything has the right to set whatever price he wants when he goes to sell it. And everyone else has the right to make offers, or tell the seller what they think it is worth - that has nothing to do with what the final sale price is. That should not offend anyone - the seller does not have to take it. If the price is true to the current market value, it will sell, if not, it won't.

I know that I personally would never be offended by any of the comments I have read on this thread if they were directed towards a truck I owned. They are directed towards the truck, not towards my worth as a person! Here more than anywhere else that I have found on the internet, all opinions, thoughts, and knowledge is appreciated and almost always is never intended to be negative or drive someone away.

Sorry to be so wordy, I am so tight with money, I stretched my two cents into a quarter.

Yeah, well I'm supider than you!!! Naa, Naa, Nabooboo,

Rob