What is this truck?

Hello all

I think this is my first post here after brousing for the last few years. I tried to buy this truck about six years ago but didn't have the funds. I would like to get a little information on this truck if anyone can help me out. The hood has a B77 emblem on it, but the door tag says B733 S 1712. I started the truck when I first looked at it and it sounded good. It has only been started once or twice since then. Would this truck be a possitive or negative ground? I believe he said it was a 1965 model. It will not build air due to what he called a dime valve in the compressor. Are these a common problem and does this sound like it could be the issue? The guy is asking $3000 for the truck and a stone age belly dump that is in rough shape. Do you think that this is in the correct ball park? Sorry for the rambling, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Ben

post-6944-0-56496800-1317965321_thumb.jp

post-6944-0-79142200-1317965564_thumb.pn

Edited by dover
  • Like 1

1962 B733 L cab

If the door tag is the correct serial #,a B-733 had a 262 Cummins in it.You'd have to check the frame stamp to make sure that is the correct VIN.It'll be stamped on the right side,under the front fender near the rear spring hanger.

$3000 for that truck and the trailer would be a steal,you could scrap the trailer and almost have a free truck.

Its possible that stack could be sending poluting hydrocarbons into outer space, possibly interfering with satellite operations. randyp

That rumor was proven shortly after the Obama administration and his environmental "Czars" took office much too long ago. Ridding the earth of harmful, detrimental hydrocarbons and putting it onto someone, or something else; then taking credit for the job. It was however proven to impede space based communication platforms due to interference.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

If that truck was near me for $3000 I'd buy it immediately. Like was said, check the frame rail behind the rear spring hanger on the front axle to decide if the door plate or the hood is correct. I do not know the difference in the models, but either way it is a great looking truck. Buy it quick before someone else takes a trip to Nevada.

Mike

I thought the price wasn't to bad, but wanted to check. I went by today again to start it, and same thing as the last time. It would spin very very slow and every thing got hot. Do any of you know when they switched to a negative ground? Is there an easy way to tell if the batteries are long gone. The only place on the frame that is covered in baked on grease is from the top of the front axle to about two feet behind it. Can anyone give me a more precise location for the vin to check against the door tag?

Thank you all for help, hopefully I will soon have my first Mack!

Ben

1962 B733 L cab

Can anyone give me a more precise location for the vin to check against the door tag?

Ben

I was looking only few inches away and didnt see mine! Should be down close to the bottom of the frame rail...in front of the rear front spring hanger (passenger side)

post-6773-0-55739900-1318033666_thumb.jp

I thought the price wasn't to bad, but wanted to check. I went by today again to start it, and same thing as the last time. It would spin very very slow and every thing got hot. Do any of you know when they switched to a negative ground? Is there an easy way to tell if the batteries are long gone. The only place on the frame that is covered in baked on grease is from the top of the front axle to about two feet behind it. Can anyone give me a more precise location for the vin to check against the door tag?

Ben

I don't know, but I drove a '77 F-model that was positive ground and a '79 that was negative ground.

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

I agree with superdog,buy the truck,scrap the trailer! the B-73/75 series with the optional "L" series cabs are very desireable in Mack circles,and being in a dry area,should be a fairly easy restoration if thats the way you're headed with it....................Mark

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

Unless the polarity was changed from positive to negative ground it would have come from factory positive ground. It most likely has a series parallel switch also unless it was changed to 12 volt starting. Like others said jump on it and scrap trailer to recoup your initial investment. Joe D.

Not nitpickin, just trying to understand the electrical. I want to get the thing started again and it is being difficult. It does have a series parallel switch, which combined with not knowing the polarity is screwing with me in understanding how to jump this thing. It does not have any batteries still hooked up. I am just a whipper snapper and wasn’t quite born when the '77 F model above was rolled off the line and have never been around a negative ground. Do I just hook the negative lead to the post on the starter solenoid and positive to the case(Minus all the leads to and from the SP switch for simplicity)? If I am attaching a battery charger, I still hook up the positive to positive correct? Sorry for the dumb questions, I just want to make sure I understand. I have the cash on hand and am thinking of keeping the trailer around for now. I have a late 50's Cat 14 motor grader that would look nice parked next to an old Mack and "vintage" belly dump. As for the sound, from what I can remember it sounded pretty sweet even though there is a big ugly muffler on the stack. It has a Jake that worked well enough to kill the engine. Thank you all for your advice and encouragement.

Ben

Edited by dover

1962 B733 L cab

There are no dumb questions. I just cooked my alternator putting batteries in backwards, and knew it was positive ground. Burned up a cb or 2 in that F-model, and knew it was positive ground. Hard to get that positive ground thing in my head,it just seems unnatural!

But if you jump start it or put the battery charger on it you do still hook the cables positive to positive and negative to negative.

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

• 1 month later...

Well I have an update. I finally found the serial number on the frame and it matches the door tag, it a B-73. I'm trying to pick them up and haul them home tomorrow if the weather cooperates and my borrowed lowboy doesn't find a job. Hopefully I'll have another update tomorrow. Thank you all for your help.

Ben

1962 B733 L cab