Biggest Mack ever made is moving ...

Gary Mahan has a BIG checkbook, so I presume he got the trailer also?? And will display them together at his home collection, But probably only take the tractor to shows?????

Brocky

1 hour ago, 70mackMB said:

That's what you call a Really Large Car! lt would be an added expense l know but, they should move the trailer and keep them together. Didn't the FDNY super pumper get separated also?                                                                                                            41 Chevy posted about this rig back on 03-19-16. "M-100SX in N.Y." in the Antique and Classic section.   .....Hippy

In it's day the FDNY super pumper was another feat of engineering. yrs back i spent a week in Allentown (Mack) FD training course. the super pumper was part of a "set". along with the super pumper was it's mate a super tender. don't remember specs (along with much more) today. heard yrs back  of a separation, don't know if it was the pumper separated or the pumper and tender separated.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Brocky said:

Gary Mahan has a BIG checkbook, so I presume he got the trailer also?? And will display them together at his home collection, But probably only take the tractor to shows?????

how fortunate the world is to have those with a big check book to save important parts of history for us poor folk to see. can only hope the truck / trailer stay together. trailer not saved someone will make a couple of bucks at the scrap yard with no concerns of history. not as if there were a fleet of those units ;; only 3 !

• Like 2

Anytime you need a staircase to climb up to the driver's seat means it's something BIG. They said in the video narration that they were not taking the trailer. I hope that changes or it'll probably get cut up for scrap.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I read somewhere quite a few years back that this wasn't the trailer this truck was first put into service with. It might have only been used for the JFK job.  If that's the case it's not a tremendous loss in my eyes if it doesn't get saved.

I can't imagine the logistics involved with getting the truck out of there on the streets.  I'd think the only way to get the trailer out of there in one piece would be on the river.

I had not thought of the fact it’s probably just as wide as the truck. I was thinking it was just a heavy duty drop deck. so yeah you’re probably right. It’s not gonna do a whole lot of people a whole Lotta good…. Bob

It took me a while to find it on the map this time.  It's at the end of Amstel Blvd, Arverne, Queens NY.

It looks like it probably crossed Jamaica Bay on a barge from JFK.

And it does appear to have been previously used with this trailer in conjunction with a jeep in one photo I found.

• Like 1

How did it get there? I know when I was moving big equipment for our construction business the largest off road truck you could move without having to really jump through hoops was the Cat 777.You did have to remove the body and wheels and tires and you were off to the races.Now the Cat 773’s all you had to remove were the front tires to get it down for the height.Isee no reason why it can’t be moved out of there on a beam trailer.Take the wheels and tires off you solve the height issues and you have taken some good weight off of it.If you are still to heavy I would remove the rear axle.

• Like 2

i’d like to go down there just to see it. I am sure it would be very interesting to a lot of us to look at. We would be aaaaaawwwwwwed  size my workmanship, but yes, it would be a real problem trying to move it anywhere… bob