Finally some DM progress

Go to solution Solved by mowerman,

You must have nerves of steel @mowerman!  
I don’t have my CDL, but have been a lifelong fan of the brand and the industry. I’ve had the opportunity to ride along with my good friend @Firemack in his MH and have tremendous respect for all of you that keep America moving. 
Please keep the updates and photos coming as I have to live vicariously through all of you!  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Joey Mack said:

one of my Favorite Pen-Pal's asked me to help out..  Asked me to post a picture for him..  I bet Ya'll will reckognize it..  Jojo

IMG_2296.jpgwhile we’re on the subject my little dog decided to crawl underneath and make sure I didn’t miss anything,,,,, of course I hadda have a treat ready for him after his full inspection 4??????????? Lol 

• Haha 1

Short trailers and short drawbars on dolly's dont help to keep it straight

How long are the trailers ?

And good progress on the bonnet 

Fiber bonnets dont repair real well, I something happens in the fiber glass as it ages

You can get stuff that goes in paint to make very flexible 

They use it on motorbike mud guards,sorry fenders for you lot and it allows the plastic guards on dirt bikes to bend around a lot

I wonder if when pain time starts, at the primer stage anything and onwards if it would help with cracking etc

Happy days 

Paul 

20 hours ago, Joey Mack said:

one of my Favorite Pen-Pal's asked me to help out..  Asked me to post a picture for him..  I bet Ya'll will reckognize it..  Jojo

IMG_2296.jpg

Soooo.... Are those blue spots were made by a grinder? Or by the age??

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

17 hours ago, mrsmackpaul said:

I wonder if when pain time starts, at the primer stage anything and onwards if it would help with cracking etc

On my mind there's a reason to apply a coat of epoxy primer over the repaired areas. It would harden the surface under the final coats preventing show up of uneveness of dencity and flexibility from down below. Also cracks should be opened up and for their full depth in perfect cases. With edges more parallel to the outer surface than perpendicular. This kind of job may be very time consuming. And the final result may vary depending on the amount of sweet and hours invested. And dust breathed in. 

• Like 2

Vlad I think the heat from the motor causes most of the issues, all the different materials are heating and cooling at different rates, this causes the paint to crack

A lot might have to do were the truck operates and how long it operates for 

A hour driving off to a truck show as compared to 12 hours at -40° c or +40° c

Anyway it's a few weeks until that stage is reached 

Paul 

We were barbecuing earlier  the truck was parked, pretty close to Porch notice  I missed a few spots  I will probably go over it next weekend. I’m going to sand  down the entire nose. As well as grab what. I Missed weekends over boohoo back to the old grind soon … Bob

16 hours ago, mrsmackpaul said:

Vlad I think the heat from the motor causes most of the issues, all the different materials are heating and cooling at different rates, this causes the paint to crack

Paul 

Paul, that makes sence for sure. 

The original hoods on my R's had very thick foam insulation glued to the inner side at the top and the sides. No less than 30-35mm (1-1/4") thick. That may help lowering down the heat affect to the fiberglass. I doubt many old trucks still keep that insulation in place and also don't know how your truck was outfitted from the factory. 

• Like 1

On 7/30/2023 at 3:37 PM, mrsmackpaul said:

Paul 

important note you forgot;;; the wonderful condition of the roads in good  ole U S A . speaking of course east coast side . think that's the purpose of steer axle floatation tires ; don't get stuck in the many huge pot holes  LOL

• Like 1