Finally some DM progress

Go to solution Solved by mowerman,

1 hour ago, mowerman said:

Sounds easier to call a vendor. I’m getting tired just thinking about it. My uncle used to carry a spare on all his trailers.

When you pay for the service call out of your profits, it works out to your paying yourself between $50-$100 (minimum) per hour or more depending on miles on the call-out, to do the tire change yourself. That is the difference between owning the business and being an employee. As an employee I wouldn't want to do it either, but if they offered me $100/hr  I'd think about it.

Well, they usually have to. I am not sure I think of you have your own tire. It’s  just labor and depends on where you are.and how far the have to travel I know they’re $700 just for the tire. Glad I’m not paying it. Ha ha

On 7/27/2023 at 4:30 AM, doubleclutchinweasel said:

That's a good, solid-looking truck, man!  You know how I love the green dash stuff!

I forgot to add I also really like the tall breather stack. It seems to fit real well, especially on the offset models. Well I better start moving here almost time to finally get started ha ha.

I used to see a "spare" tire and rim tucked up under the converter dollies, do they not do that anymore?  May be it was the old LTL union carriers like the Big R, CF etc, but they all seamed to have one on the converter.

I ran all "hiway tread" in all positions (old heavy hauler trick, rib tread runs cooler) so one spare could be used anywhere on the rig.

Some  tire service companies charge an arm and a leg for a tire. Having my own even if it wasn't on a rim or the correct rim (I.E was on spoke, but the trailer had hub-pilot) saved a lot of money. Add:

Super singles: Nope not doing those. But wouldn't have them on any of my equipment either. Just about any blow-out and your looking at a rim also.

Edited by Geoff Weeks

Yes, 10 four on the super singles, they seem to be becoming pretty common,,, as far as spare tires on the cob gear  I have not seen one in a long time  yes they paid 700 bucks just a couple of weeks ago at loves and they put it on a congear that wasn’t even worth the price of the tire

What got me off of tube types was the quality of the tubes. They would do ok when in a tire, but store one folded on the shelf or in the side compartment, and the rubber would crack at the folds. I talked to tire shops and they saw the same thing, shelf life on a new tube was a year at best. They didn't want to stock them, because if they didn't go in a tire in a year, they had to throw them out.  Tube type tires on the other hand were every bit as good as the tubeless.

Super singles, you almost have to have auto inflation system or tire pressure monitor, to prevent disaster, and I've seen a auto inflation malfunction in the cold, and drain a tire!

I just can't see the cost/benefit ratio working out with SS. I know some swear by them, but I see too much to go wrong. A spare tire and rim is cheap for duals and allows the same tires to fit all positions. I ran 3 treads on my tires, Original and capped twice before discard. I tried a 3 cap but they never made it until the tread wore out. Always only capped my own casings. (Not hard when you are the only one running 10.00R X20's). I tried to keep my "spare" tire a tubeless, incase it had to be replaced, or I needed more than one tire (never happened, but could).

A 295/80 22.5 can run next to an 11R 22.5 and a pair can support 16,000 lbs, so unless you are running 20K fronts, and need the extra 4K, spec'ing 295/80's on the steer, allows them to be capped for drive or trailer, later in life.

Put together a minibike last summer after one year of the tires were both completely flat tube type. My wife works for a bicycle parts warehouse. She tells me the bicycle tires are the same way they need air every few months they’re real porous now

Yes, triple trailers can be a real pain in the ass they swing on you a lot improper loads too much wind and a lot of times sway bar bushings are wore out on the trailers sometimes I just have to slow down to get them from swinging … Bob