You Might Be...

14 hours ago, mechohaulic said:

back in '69-70's for 68K you could have bought a couple of Macks . and the dealer filled the fuel tanks . I know it was my job to take a new truck down for fuel. most new ones going to a rental fleet only got 10 gals. 

When we bought the Nissan it had about a quarter of a tank in it, maybe a little less. Zina said " are y'all going to fill it up with gas for us"?

And the salesman said "I can't fill it up, but I'll put some gas in it for you. Meet me down at Sheetz". So I drove it down to Sheetz and he put $26.01 worth of gas in it. I don't think that even brought it up to half full, but still nice of him I thought.

On the other hand, I once picked up a brand new K100 at Truck Enterprises in Roanoke. I said "this truck doesn't have any fuel in it"!

They said "it's enough to get you to Appomattox". And it almost was, I ran out in Lynchburg. I hated Truck Enterprises in Roanoke.

• Haha 1

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

19 hours ago, mowerman said:

yeah i paid 78000 for my first house in california,,,brand new with a half acre,,,,now i understand people are paying that for a brand new F250 these days,,,,like whaaaaaaaaat??????

It's truly a different world. I remember when my parents built a new house in 1964. It cost $8,000 and they financed it for 20 years. I was 8 years old in 1964 and I remember thinking "20 years?..we'll be paying on this forever".

But back then most people didn't even bring home $100 a week. The first brand new car we got was a 1971 4 door Impala, with a 400 small block in it. It was just over $4000, which was an expensive car for the time. Most cars then were in the $3,000 range.

I went to the dentist this morning, he looked at my teeths, everything was good, $129.

Stopped at Kroger on the way home to get some honey because Zina wanted me to try a new recipe for the cowboy candy that calls for a cup of honey and the honey bear was $8.49, and that was the cheapest. I started to leave the bear in there and stick with the old recipe but I brought it on home. 🤣

• Like 1

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

4 hours ago, other dog said:

It's truly a different world. I remember when my parents built a new house in 1964. It cost $8,000 and they financed it for 20 years. I was 8 years old in 1964 and I remember thinking "20 years?..we'll be paying on this forever".

But back then most people didn't even bring home $100 a week. The first brand new car we got was a 1971 4 door Impala, with a 400 small block in it. It was just over $4000, which was an expensive car for the time. Most cars then were in the $3,000 range.

I went to the dentist this morning, he looked at my teeths, everything was good, $129.

Stopped at Kroger on the way home to get some honey because Zina wanted me to try a new recipe for the cowboy candy that calls for a cup of honey and the honey bear was $8.49, and that was the cheapest. I started to leave the bear in there and stick with the old recipe but I brought it on home. 🤣

I just paid five bucks for a 16 ounce cup of coleslaw or $25 for a 5 pound bag of dog food

• Like 1

3 hours ago, doubleclutchinweasel said:

If you've ever converted a Cadillac to a pickup truck...

IMG_73661.thumb.JPG.70618c42c9352f3d210251864b94ef55.JPGIMG_73672.thumb.JPG.4a5c182e2d68861dd380822b1e2bcf44.JPG

Saw the same thing about a year ago right here in my hillbilly town. I wasn’t too surprised. I can’t remember exactly what he did but it was something like that.

Reminds me of the time I got directions to one of our satellite terminals in Hawthorne, Nevada with triple trailers. Of course I come to a dead end and had to break everything up and turn around. I was really red then ha ha I can laugh about it now.

Used to work for a guy who gave the worst directions!

He’d tell you to look for some cattle and turn right past them. If they moved, you were hosed! Or look for the red car and then turn right. Hope they didn’t go to town.

One time, I was driving his lowboy. He told me very specific things to look for. Little dirt road on the left. Cross a bridge over a little creek. Then a white house on the right. Then a red barn on the left with a silo next to it. Finally, “The road you want is about 1/4 mile before that.”  Well, you couldn’t see the barn when you passed the road. At least 4-5 more curves before you could even see it.

WTF?! 1/4 mile the other way? Turned out to be at least 3/4 mile!  And absolutely nowhere to turn around.  Backing that stupid thing back up a tiny, crooked 2-lane road. Trying not to back into anybody else that might have had the misfortune to be coming the other way. Wide load. Can’t see s#!t. Nobody to flag for me. Awesome! Good times!

• Like 1

"Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines."

Turn at the little blue light that’s what I got. I saw a bunch of trailers. I thought thats got to be it then  I  discovered they were mobile homes. Oh goody now what????????? Sometimes I see hey wagons turning off the highway on these little dirt roads double trailers. I am always thinking to myself. I sure hope they know where they’re going.

Hell, I make my living driving those little old roads. Some of the bridges I cross would make your butt pucker...always fun when I'm 61K on 4 axles and come up on a 10T bridge. Many aren't even marked...had a local one time stop on the other side of a bridge to let me pass...I was already stopped (it was a 1-lane bridge), so I waved him across. He stops next to me and says "Is that thing going to hold you?" Well it always has before, so why should today be any different? One day when it was raining pretty good, I was heading to a customer who lives between a couple creeks. Couldn't go in one way...water was about 5' deep & flowing pretty good and the road crossed perpendicular to the creek, so all that water hits you broadside & would push you off the low water crossing and on down the creek. The other way in, the county road follows the creek bed for about 100 yards as it crosses from one side to the other. That water was only about 2' deep. FedEx had stopped...she was just trying to cut the corner (so her GPS had her crossing BOTH). I told her she ought to back up & go around...and as soon as she was out of my way, I went on through. I spend a LOT of time on those gravel county roads...easily spend more time on gravel than I do the interstate. That's the way I like it, though.👍

• Like 2
When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

On 8/11/2023 at 5:16 PM, doubleclutchinweasel said:

Used to work for a guy who gave the worst directions!

He’d tell you to look for some cattle and turn right past them. If they moved, you were hosed! Or look for the red car and then turn right. Hope they didn’t go to town.

One time, I was driving his lowboy. He told me very specific things to look for. Little dirt road on the left. Cross a bridge over a little creek. Then a white house on the right. Then a red barn on the left with a silo next to it. Finally, “The road you want is about 1/4 mile before that.”  Well, you couldn’t see the barn when you passed the road. At least 4-5 more curves before you could even see it.

WTF?! 1/4 mile the other way? Turned out to be at least 3/4 mile!  And absolutely nowhere to turn around.  Backing that stupid thing back up a tiny, crooked 2-lane road. Trying not to back into anybody else that might have had the misfortune to be coming the other way. Wide load. Can’t see s#!t. Nobody to flag for me. Awesome! Good times!

in the days before GPS and cell phones , I had the relief driver spot. doing the up state NY run with a LTL9000 twin screw sleeper and 45 ft reefer . it was days of maps and written directions. middle of the night all going well till directions say left turn; ok we can do it. left turn to see a sign says 10 ft over pass ahead.!! 12.6 trailer. now I know the driver who does the route regular; he wouldnt send me wrong. back out to main road . headlites coming towards me ; old pick up stopped - old timer says : lost ?. told him where I was headed. says :follow me. dirt roads not wide enough for two to pass never mind a T/T. dozens of deer standing next to road . come to a WOODEN bridge !! he drove across ; stopped and waited. do I cross or not ; fast and hope or slow and sink. maybe ft on each side to spare. over i drove with the boards creaking ;not steel or concrete . made it. thanked him and continued the route. spoke to the driver following week . says "what the F--k bill !! he laughs and says "oh; the 10 ft sign is only for the arch on ends ; I stay in the center 13 ft. if I could see the bridge or it was day light ; would have been different.   yep the fun days.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, mechohaulic said:

in the days before GPS and cell phones , I had the relief driver spot. doing the up state NY run with a LTL9000 twin screw sleeper and 45 ft reefer . it was days of maps and written directions. middle of the night all going well till directions say left turn; ok we can do it. left turn to see a sign says 10 ft over pass ahead.!! 12.6 trailer. now I know the driver who does the route regular; he wouldnt send me wrong. back out to main road . headlites coming towards me ; old pick up stopped - old timer says : lost ?. told him where I was headed. says :follow me. dirt roads not wide enough for two to pass never mind a T/T. dozens of deer standing next to road . come to a WOODEN bridge !! he drove across ; stopped and waited. do I cross or not ; fast and hope or slow and sink. maybe ft on each side to spare. over i drove with the boards creaking ;not steel or concrete . made it. thanked him and continued the route. spoke to the driver following week . says "what the F--k bill !! he laughs and says "oh; the 10 ft sign is only for the arch on ends ; I stay in the center 13 ft. if I could see the bridge or it was day light ; would have been different.   yep the fun days.

That reminds me of a time when I was still too young to drive.  Was on a clearing job with my Dad.  We were waiting on the fuel truck to show up.  Seems like it was a C60 Chevy.  Waited.  Waited.  Waited.  He decided to back-track and see if the fuel jockey got lost or stuck somewhere.

Found the fuel truck butt-down in a creek, having fallen through a covered bridge.  Nose was just coming out of the bridge when the drive wheels found the weak point in the middle.  Splash!  Nose up on the edge of the bridge, tail in the water.  Seem to recall it took a bit of doing to get it up out of there.

• Like 1
  • Like 1

"Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines."

• 2 weeks later...