You Might Be...

On 10/9/2023 at 3:28 PM, Joey Mack said:

Heck,,   I can come back from the transfer center with more than what I brought..   I'm a Professional trash picker..  

I wouldn't use those harsh words of "I'm a professional trash picker " ; todays world Your a professional repurposer. recycle center in town has a big sign -NO scavenging . tempted to sit outside gate to check good stuff being thrown away. watched what seemed to be a near new mower deck flipped off pick up bed. still had shine and old gent throwing it away couldn't lift it from truck.

• Like 1

I worked at a trash transfer station before I retired it was amazing the stuff I drug home that someone would throw out I was good at crawling in the dumpsters to check out the contents about everyone that worked there was looking for goodies every day. I was in the center running the cat loader loading trailers and I had a guy back in to dump his load said he worked here many years ago and he was returning stuff he drug home back then was carping about paying to dump the stuff he drug home for free.

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, mechohaulic said:

I wouldn't use those harsh words of "I'm a professional trash picker " ; todays world Your a professional repurposer. recycle center in town has a big sign -NO scavenging . tempted to sit outside gate to check good stuff being thrown away. watched what seemed to be a near new mower deck flipped off pick up bed. still had shine and old gent throwing it away couldn't lift it from truck.

Over here at the Spout Spring trash dump site the guy that works there has a pole with a hook on it so he can scavenge himself. They have several huge dumpsters, we only had one in Gladys. They've got one for metal, one for cardboard, one for plastic, and the one with the trash masher machine for "regular" trash I guess.

All the dump sites around here used to be open all the time, you could just throw away whatever you wanted to whenever you wanted to. Now they're all fenced in, only open during the day, and they all have a worker on site, with a little shed for them to stay in. Probably be a pretty good job for like a retired person or something.

• Like 2

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

Our landfill in Prince William County, VA had a large fenced in area with open front building for "too good to throw away". People would bring good stuff including a lot of construction material and those that wanted would take. It was a great idea and worked well until it became more popular and an inventory source for yard salers. The police had to be called a number of times to break up fights over the goodies. Now it's gone and all the good stuff gets thrown away.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

Yep,  I lived in Rangley Maine, 30 years ago.. I worked at the transfer station. We had a ''Bargain Barn''  You picked what you liked and weighed it on a scale, then recorded what it is and you name and address, (optional)..  Some days folks would just come to the bargain barn just to poke around..  I liked it..  

• Like 1
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, 70mackMB said:

image.png.64612ca0eb60c80f70ecc735bc19ccfc.png

todays challenge would be to find someone that ==! knows how to check it:: 2= can figure out how to open the hood ;not the trunk; 3= doesn't say " I wait till the cute little  water  can shows up on the dash. or I hear a funny noise 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, mechohaulic said:

todays challenge would be to find someone that ==! knows how to check it:: 2= can figure out how to open the hood ;not the trunk; 3= doesn't say " I wait till the cute little  water  can shows up on the dash. or I hear a funny noise 

Back in high school, a girl in my class had parents with money who bought her a brand new car for her 16th birthday. 15,000 miles later, they were putting a brand new engine into that brand new car because she had no clue how to check the oil, let alone that she needed to. But to do that, she would've had to know how to put the hood up...which she didn't. Some people should just ride the bus.

• Like 1
When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

Back when I pulled wrenches a woman brought her full size jeep grand Cherokee in because the brakes "did not feel rite".

It had no rotors left wore the face of so there was just the nubs sttuck to the hub showing pads were missing, and caliper pistons were missing. She was driving on the rear brake only, which were also metal on metal with the shoes almost wore completely through.

All 4  ball joints, 6 universals, and steering linkage was wasted too.

While going through the truck, I went to do an oil change.

Nothing came out of the pan.

She drove 60,000 miles and only put gas in it.

While tearing the engine down because the lifters were dished, the cam came out in two pieces.

At that we just put a new crate 360 in the 3 year old jeep.

Cost to fix it was almost as much as it cost new.

She bought a new one and had us fix the old one up for her son who just got his license.

And he is still driving it to this day.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

when you are up to your armpits in alligators,

it is hard to remember you only came in to drain the swamp..

but my TELEPHONE  didn't beep to say the little water can is on in  my car dash.  "I saw the little water can on the dash = didn't know it was important". interrupt a phone text while driving !! unheard of.  self driving vehicles may be safer for youngsters.. I  thought the self driver was checking stuff. !! sorry kids .