Exhaust manifold broken bolt

mcratchet1
Go to solution Solved by mechohaulic,

Hey guys just was wanted a professional opinion I have 2007 Mack mr688s mp7 400hp

the #6 exhaust mainifold broke bolt the top one, is this the cause of another issue 761C8B55-DDAA-4C09-9353-B991C7AE2559.thumb.jpeg.6c91a45caed57bf2b176b2e25e6c5125.jpegor just old rusted bolt? Should I try to get the one bolt replaced or wait to see if another one breaks? Thanks in advance!

Common issue with these ASET engines. Left hand drill bit, penetrating fluid and welding a nut on the broken stud all work. try the easiest method first. You may want to double check the other studs and see if they are coming loose. 

V

• Like 2

I'd look and see where it's broke. If there's a little stub sticking out of the head, let it go until it leaks or more break. Sometimes (if you get lucky) there's enough to get a small pipe wrench on. Most likely, you'll be drilling.  It pays to put some effort into centering where you start to drill.  Start with a smaller bit and drill slow.  As everyone mentioned good left hand bits are a big plus.....along with a lot of patience. If you break a bit off in there ????   well..... you're screwed .  I've had some success with a pilot hole then hog'n it out with a die grinder with a pointy bur in it.   Patience .....  many have been removed on the truck. 

• Like 1

Fill it up with the MIG until you have enough sticking out the manifold to weld a nut 

Then just unwind the stud and replace 

It is easier than you might think to do this

I was dubious  to say the least when I heard about this way but it really does work quite well

If it keeps on breaking off, get a set of jumper leads and a couple of batteries series, maybe go three batteries 

Clamp one end to the head and the other to the nut you have welded on and put some decent currnt thru it 

This also helps to loosen things 

I think been a cast iron that this last step wont be needed

Even if the stud is broken off a fare way down, just slowly build it up with the MIG 

Paul

• Like 2

with the manifold  (has tooo big a hole ) still in place , use a slack adjuster bushing or bushing similar  to fit in manifold hole . using a drill which fits snug in the bushing you install. this gives you a better chance of close center on broken stud.  a good drill will center "mark " stud. then with a left-hand drill, drill through the stud. i have gotten away from using smaller pilot drills simply due to fact have had toooo many pilot drills break;; now you have to get broken drill out. have NOT found a drill bit that will drill out a broken drill bit.  that includes the carbide tip drills used for drilling the many 5th wheels installed. also using the step-down drilling process a drill bit is using the outer edge of the drill not the entire cutting edge . each project is different. in terms of your project with manifold still installed can't see if any of the stud is sticking out beyond the head. if can't be drilled out then manifold removal and welder to rescue . 

• Like 1
  • Like 1

I like the copper bushing idea never tried that I sometimes use carbide drill bits they will drill through anything but you have to be careful as if they grab they can break the carbide out the end of the drill

• Like 1

If your going to be a bear be a grizzly

On 2/28/2023 at 3:33 PM, mackaholic said:

I've used the mig welder technique many times on Ford FE engines. Had very good luck getting the stud out without drilling. Takes 5-6 tries sometimes. Keep building it up until you can get a pair of vice grips on it then start gently putting pressure back and forth. 

Lol.....Ya FE's and those darn upper manifold bolts and the open hole.  What a PITA.  Been there, cussed a lot.

• Like 1

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

i remove manifold if there is still some of the stud sticking out, and weld a larger nut to what is left of the stud. fill the whole center of the nut to get a good bond with the stud. 

while it is still hot start turning it back and forth with a wrench. once loose run it out. 

much easier than drilling and using easy outs.

• Like 2

when you are up to your armpits in alligators,

it is hard to remember you only came in to drain the swamp..