98 Massey Ferguson/ Detroit Diesel

1961H67

My god couldn't imagine running the Detroit powered unit all day in a field U would be def in no time! My Dad had and Alice chamber's  hd5 cat 2 71 it was noisy as all get out! Nice group of pics! Nice stash of tractors !

• Like 1
  • Like 1

Probably can’t tell much about that picture, it’s a Sunday paper advertisement from the early 50s at the dealership my Grandfather worked. Harry Ferguson started Ferguson tractor in about 1948 , I have a 1946 2N Ford with the Ferguson System logo under the Ford on the hood. Harry Ferguson invented the 3 Point hitch. 

12D05097-360E-420F-B16A-38E026D60718.jpeg

11 hours ago, 1961H67 said:

the 98 is my favorite only about 500 made. 

8017195E-F003-465D-B2E3-B616D9DB3FE1.jpeg

Well, they say you learn something new Everyday of your Life.. & that's My thing learnt for Today...

I never knew such a tractor existed & was never sold here in Australia.. According to Tractor data It's a Badge engineered Oliver 990

TractorData.com Massey Ferguson 98 tractor information

my Older Son has an Oliver90 His grandfather gave Him That was given to Him By His Grandfather..!!

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

According to what I was told ,, sometime around 1958 there was a fire at the Massey Ferguson plant,( I had all the dates and locations but I would have to dig it out. ) So Ferguson got Oliver power trains using a Super 99 GM , I had 1958 Super 99 ; same tractor. They put Massey Ferguson sheet metal on them, they did about 500 like that, there is green paint underneath the flint gray on the frame and axles . They did some 97s also, it used Moline power train . I have a 430 John Deere with a 2 cly Detroit,,, for sale. 

• Like 1

Quite a few tractor manufacturers used the GM 3-71 including Australias Chamberlain in the Super 70 and Super 90

I personally couldn't think of anything worse to spend all day farming on but they sold well and are sort after today 

Start watching about halfway thru

Paul

• Like 1

Thanks for the Chamberlain video. The Detroit 2 stroke was used in a lot of stuff when you start researching. Our LTH Mack had a 8V-71 put installed because it was used in Alaska and it was better in cold weather. I even think some WWII tanks had Detroit engines.   By the way, I mentioned a John Deere we have, a 435 with a Detroit, all there, runs , needs painted $4,000 if anyone interested, I’m spent on time , I would rather see someone enjoy it, they are rare also, not sure how many were made. 

41791903-2EE2-4744-AC8F-A8CEEEE3D4A1.jpeg

9C0A2A84-61E1-4BAB-83CB-C1BD1EDEE46A.jpeg

• Like 2

Good point Glenn..  I re-built (3) 3179DF John Deere engines last year.  They were used in job site water trucks. They too, were a diesel power plant that could be used in many ways..  jojo

• Like 1

Just think how versatile that 2 cycle Detroit is , 2, 3 , 4 ,6 , 8 , 12 , 16 cylinder,, heck they may have made more combinations I haven’t heard about, they bolted them together, run backwards in a boat , we have a Taylor forklift with one in it . But like everyone else,, I couldn’t imagine setting on a 98 Massey or an Oliver GM  for 8 hours in a hard pull with that exhaust 4 feet away! The 98 has a factory muffler and it’s loud! The 99 Oliver pulling tractor I had was a 5 inch straight, marine injectors, changed the blower gears to spin it faster, it was a beast,, but my goodness it was deafening! 

• Like 1