98 Massey Ferguson/ Detroit Diesel

1961H67

I remember when most all road trucks had a DD or cummins or a mack for power.Cat was not in the game till later.I remember here when the cat dealer still had a 4000 white that they had installed a cat engine in it.I would say this happened maybe in the later 50s.But i remember seeing it in 65.

glenn akers

The thing with me is I have a friend that is a 2 stroke Detroit expert, so if I get one of those Massey's he can make her run strong. Would be a cool tractor to take to the local fairs and antique pulls.

In this area where I grew up, 2 stroke Detroits were by far the most popular engine by far back in the day. When I was young almost every truck around here had a Detroit and many of the loaders and dozers were Terex with Detroits and Champion motor graders with Detroits.

There was a single cylinder Detroit too. A 1-53 and a 1-71. I think there were just used in generator sets for the military. Very few made and hardly any left. They might was well be made out of solid gold because if you find one that is how much the person will want for it. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, 67RModel said:

There was a single cylinder Detroit too. A 1-53 and a 1-71. I think there were just used in generator sets for the military. Very few made and hardly any left. They might was well be made out of solid gold because if you find one that is how much the person will want for it. 

Many many moons ago a friend 2 towns over had a 1-71 powered pump on the farm for water.

It ran pretty much nonstop for 50 years, only shutting off for oul changes..

And it still purred and used very little oil when the farm was sold and warehouse was built there.

There was a line of people trying to get it, but the builder scrapped it instead.

when you are up to your armpits in alligators,

it is hard to remember you only came in to drain the swamp..

Can a Detroit really purr ??

Dunno if purring is how I would describe a screamer

I wonder at truck stops and the like with condom vending machines in the blokes dunnies if the signs on the machines came from 2 stroke screamers 

"If she's a moaner it will make her a screamer"

"If she's a screamer it will get you arrested"

I cant remember what the first level ribbed performance did to her 🤔

Then they had the UD frpm Japan that had 2 strokes made that were loosely based on the Detroit 2 stroke, they were called the "Hiroshima Screamers" in Australia 

Foden (best of British brand of truck) tried to make a 2 stroke screamer that were never much good for Australia 

Commer (another British breed) made a 2 stroke horizontally opposed or was it imposed 3 cylinder 6 piston super charged 2 stroke known  as Commer Knockers

These had a really good reputation and were used on line haul operations in Australia for many years 

But the GM was the champion and set the bench mark for all others to follow

• Like 1

Paul, the 1-71 pump engines only ran 1,200 RPM and made around 15 HP or so..

sounds more like a hit n miss engine at idle, and more like a single cylinder briggs and stratton at speed than a Detroit. 

on edit:   i just watched the video. that one has an electric start. my friends was hand crank only.

• Like 1

when you are up to your armpits in alligators,

it is hard to remember you only came in to drain the swamp..

8 hours ago, 67RModel said:

Well now I need one of those to repower one of the two 1971 Massey Ferguson 7 lawn tractors I have!!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, 1961H67 said:

A friend of mine has a B 81 with a 6-71 in it ( I’m trying to trade him out of it) .

Is that a repower or original engine? I'm guessing a repower since its a B81. A vendor engine would be number B8XX I think. What trans is in it?

Yes it’s a repower , it has a quadraplex in it , I have never run the vin to find out what engine it originally had. Probably get interested if I bought it, I’ve been working on him for 5 years to sell it . He says he really doesn’t want to sell it right now,,, and I’ll have to live to 120 to finish what I already have,, so he’s probably doing me a favor. 

• Like 1

A few more old tractors we have collected, over the years. Back when my Dad was living and my Son was a teenager we went to a tractor pull every weekend in the summer, we only go about 2 times a year now, I mainly kept some smaller antique pullers in case my grandson (8) wants to later on .1943 Farmall , the picture is the same tractor, same spot, my son at 6 and my grandson at 7 , 26 years apart.  1938 Oliver , 1952 Ferguson 30 , picture of my Son & Grandson. All these old tractors have lots of memories, We restored all of them, a family hobby. 

• 1 month later...
On 3/21/2023 at 6:21 PM, Dirtymilkman said:

I always wanted one of those ford 9n's with the Funk repower flathead v8 kit. 

I'm so bummed out. I missed out on one here. It was museum quality. Every nut and bolt was polished, had a flathead V8. Saw it at out local tractor parade and then found out the owner passed away just after. Someone called me and told me it was for sale for 10 thousand Canadian.

But I was still in the trucking business and couldn't afford 10 grand, LOL

If I had the mining job I have now I would have jumped on that in a heart beat.

That’s the most Detailed Tractor I’ve ever seen! A few years ago I saw a guy bring a few of those size tractors to a local show,, he had went far and beyond that Flathead Ford kit,, he had a 302 Ford in one and a Chevy V8 in a 30 Ferguson the best I can remember,, All very nice. 

• Like 1