98 Massey Ferguson/ Detroit Diesel

1961H67

On 1/29/2023 at 6:56 PM, 1961H67 said:

Thanks for the Chamberlain video. The Detroit 2 stroke was used in a lot of stuff when you start researching. Our LTH Mack had a 8V-71 put installed because it was used in Alaska and it was better in cold weather. I even think some WWII tanks had Detroit engines.   By the way, I mentioned a John Deere we have, a 435 with a Detroit, all there, runs , needs painted $4,000 if anyone interested, I’m spent on time , I would rather see someone enjoy it, they are rare also, not sure how many were made. 

41791903-2EE2-4744-AC8F-A8CEEEE3D4A1.jpeg

9C0A2A84-61E1-4BAB-83CB-C1BD1EDEE46A.jpeg

They have several Oliver and Massey Ferguson tractors with Detroit Diesels in them at the Keystone Antique Truck and Tractor Museum in Colonial Heights. They had one pulling tractor with a Detroit, I think it was a Massey Ferguson too, I'd love to see it at a tractor pull, mostly I'd like to hear it!

And I remember when I first went to work for H.H. Moore and we were hauling chips to the Westvaco paper mill in Covington. An older driver told me of the time they had to haul chips from the Westvaco wood yard in Rupert, W.V. It was the yard that Burns hauled out of, but they wanted H.H. to send some trucks up there to help. It was in winter and he said it got so cold one night that every single truck froze and shut off, except for one- and that one had a 318 in it, all the rest had Cummins engines. He said they got some fuel conditioner from Burns, he didn't know what it was, but they kept it in a barrel by the shop and after that they never had any more fuel gelling problems. 

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

I really wanted a Detroit powered Massey. And a Cat 3208 Oliver. But I'm down to just an F150 and a 5700 pound tandem trailer, so no way I could even haul them, LOL

Even my Ford....I'm wondering if the rear wheels are loaded because it did some bad things to my new aluminum trailer that has a payload rating of 5700 pounds. 

20 hours ago, 1961H67 said:

Thanks for the Detroit story, the old 318 were very dependable in fire trucks. And the 99 GM series tractor sounds awesome pulling! 

I used to drive a 78 Ford 9000 with a 318. It was still super strong and when a friend finally opened up the motor every piston ring in it was broke....and it still ran like a top. LOL

I did quite a bit of work on 318's in the Brockway triaxles I drove they had 13speed's I liked them quite well more power than the owners cabover Mack 237. The Mack 5 speed wasn't my favorite trans and it seemed all the r's and f's had the 5 speed in them always thought a few more gears would help out but those transmitions were durable.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, davehummell said:

I did quite a bit of work on 318's in the Brockway triaxles I drove they had 13speed's I liked them quite well more power than the owners cabover Mack 237. The Mack 5 speed wasn't my favorite trans and it seemed all the r's and f's had the 5 speed in them always thought a few more gears would help out but those transmitions were durable.

Yeah, I never liked the 5-speeds either.  Was just too impatient, I guess!

• Like 1

"Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines."