Future Macks?

Read on facebook from a Mack (expert?) that the CH pinnacle is going away shortly to be replaced by a new axle forward Mack with a new design cab. He also stated that a new Anthem replacement will follow with the new cab. May be a bunch of whooy but the Mayflower cab is abot 30 years old. He did not mention any Granite changes.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Quickfarms said:

Just going to be a Volvo with different badges on it, but no dog on the hood because that reduces the milage by .00000001

I was just gunna say that....probably do like Freightliner did to Western Star......it will be a Volvo with Mack emblems. And cost more. LOL

Look at the Anthem. I'm almost scared to see how much worse it can get. Glad I'm not trucking any more.

• Like 1
  • Like 1

I always like an 'R' model..  When I got out of R  models and DM's,  I went into a CH..  It seemed like twice as much room and I did'nt catch my fingers on the vent window, while wheeling around on job site's and tight places :) ..    As far as the title of this post, "Future Mack's?"  sounds like an oxymoron, or mabey irony..   :)   jojo

Edited by Joey Mack
poor sperring..
  • Like 1

On 8/4/2022 at 8:00 PM, Mark T said:

Don't kid yourself, as new trucks go, those 49Xs are pretty good looking. Maybe the new (?) Mack will have some more trucklike eye appeal the a VNL or VHD

As far as new trucks go, yes they look okay. But they are not a REAL Western Star. It's a higher priced Freightliner. Gone is the steel cab, nice interior, nice gauges, and I'll probably be safe to bet they are now multi-plexed with modules. Not the same tough Western Star frame either.

I have a friend that bought one new and had an accident that damaged one side of the cab. His brand new truck was down a YEAR waiting for parts that STAR nor Freightliner had or would give up from the factory. Apparently the doors are Freightliner Columbia doors. And that was one of the things they had no new ones in stock.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Bullheaded said:

As far as new trucks go, yes they look okay. But they are not a REAL Western Star. It's a higher priced Freightliner. Gone is the steel cab, nice interior, nice gauges, and I'll probably be safe to bet they are now multi-plexed with modules. Not the same tough Western Star frame either.

I have a friend that bought one new and had an accident that damaged one side of the cab. His brand new truck was down a YEAR waiting for parts that STAR nor Freightliner had or would give up from the factory. Apparently the doors are Freightliner Columbia doors. And that was one of the things they had no new ones in stock.

I get it. This is what trucks are now. I had a Heritage 4964 I bought brand new in '96. I loved that truck and it was tough, still going to this day.  Unfortunately they're all a lot alike anymore.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mark T said:

I get it. This is what trucks are now. I had a Heritage 4964 I bought brand new in '96. I loved that truck and it was tough, still going to this day.  Unfortunately they're all a lot alike anymore.  

I hear you. I wonder how long before the specialty markets go away, like the 6900XD Star and the C500 Kenworth?

• Like 1

On 8/6/2022 at 12:03 PM, R.E.D said:

I get such nostalgia watching this.this style cab is still relevant after 30 plus years .

I used to watch Motorweek all the time and saw that. I LOVED my 2000 CH when I got it new. I remember when they were first introduced. There was a huge advertising campaign. I was disappointed the R Model was going away, but I was excited about the new CH.

Can't say I'm excited any more when there are new model introductions. It's more like disappointment. LOL But luckily I don't have to worry about it any more.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Bullheaded said:

Well, that's what trucks are now, junk meant to be traded in after 500k miles or 5 years..they are not going to build a truck that last 20 years because they would go broke.that applies to everything nowadays..must be why freight shakers dominate market share..they went with cheap and easily braekable. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, R.E.D said:

Well, that's what trucks are now, junk meant to be traded in after 500k miles or 5 years..they are not going to build a truck that last 20 years because they would go broke.that applies to everything nowadays..must be why freight shakers dominate market share..they went with cheap and easily braekable. 

Yup! Lets all join in on the High Waste society Everyone! Keep the economy going! 😄 Chihuahua  Power!

i drive a 2021 kenworth i hate it,,,rides like shit,seat is uncomfortable ,its ugly,and the radio sucks....i cant see anyone wanting to restore this thing in 20 years...most of us prefer the peterbilts....but theres not enough to go around,and they are all assigned to differant runs we have ,,,but yes they will all be scrapped in a few years...bob

35 minutes ago, mowerman said:

i drive a 2021 kenworth i hate it,,,rides like shit,seat is uncomfortable ,its ugly,and the radio sucks....i cant see anyone wanting to restore this thing in 20 years...most of us prefer the peterbilts....but theres not enough to go around,and they are all assigned to differant runs we have ,,,but yes they will all be scrapped in a few years...bob

let me guess, they are lot trucks with paccar engines and bare minimum options, rite? 

we have three T880's with 565 HP Cummins X15 engine, Allison RDS 4500 trans,  heavy Meritor rears with 4.56 gears, leather interior, and the nav-plus sound systems. 

these trucks ride like you are on a cloud, get 6-9 MPG, and have more power than i could ever need. 

when you are up to your armpits in alligators,

it is hard to remember you only came in to drain the swamp..

33 minutes ago, Mark T said:

Come on......lets be fair here. I can remember as long back as I can remember (which is before I even knew what the stuff was) At first ?   "those transmissions with the bronze in them were never gonna last"  then "there's more and more fiberglass"  then "I'm not driving anything my foot doesn't go straight to a injection pump" .  Old trucks are cool..... but let's see anyone who's driven a new one do 4 or 5 hundred miles a day in an R Model with a 300 and a five speed after having driven  an  Anthem with a 505 and M Drive  .  Always been just work horse trucks. How many White 9000s you see restored ?  Truth is we all love the trucks from our own era. That being said...... yeah, if there's a new Mack ???  It's game over for everything but the name. Volvo did it to White, GMC , even the mighty Autocar.   Personally, I can't believe it's taken them so long to deep 6 the Macks.

That's also true.Yet what I think everyone is trying to convey is  that they could've made a new comfortable truck that was also long lasting.I bet when the R model cabs came out in the 60s those guys riding B models were able to enjoy a nicer yet long lasting vehicle..R model cab was in production like 40 years , someone correct me if I'm wrong.

yup. when we went from B to R, U, and DM, we thought we were hoy snot. 

but as we progressed from B to the R,U, and DM, we also had more creature comforts like heat, ac, soundproofing, softer ride.

i went from a turned up 325HP V8 quad box B model to a DM with a 237 and "mud stick" trans.

and the DM would still run circles around that B-815

when you are up to your armpits in alligators,

it is hard to remember you only came in to drain the swamp..

5 hours ago, tjc transport said:

let me guess, they are lot trucks with paccar engines and bare minimum options, rite? 

we have three T880's with 565 HP Cummins X15 engine, Allison RDS 4500 trans,  heavy Meritor rears with 4.56 gears, leather interior, and the nav-plus sound systems. 

these trucks ride like you are on a cloud, get 6-9 MPG, and have more power than i could ever need. 

all i can say is give me back the T800....we have all 400 cummings except for a handful of 450,s oooooooooooooooooooohhh almost forgot the petes also have better AC....(KENWORTH)....i hate it,,,bob

We got a new T880 float tractor at the mine just over a year ago. X15, 18 speed, 4.56 gears, 24.5 rubber, 52,000 rear air ride.

I only use the float couple times a year. It has a whopping 1500 KM on it now and the EGR cooler is leaking, the rad is leaking in the bottom corner, steers and handles like crap and has more rattles than you can imagine. 1500 KM. JUNK!

As for the other comments here.....I had this argument with someone else also.....I would take an old truck ANY DAY over the luxuries of the new ones. Don't care if I'm slower, colder, hotter, who cares.

When I had my R Model I never once turned the radio on even. Windows down and the sound of straight pipes. That is trucking to me.

I didn't grow up dreaming of driving a luxury car.

I'd even gladly take an all steel cab interior over listening to that rattling, squeaking cheap plastic piece of crap T880.

• Like 1