Future Macks?

I just talked to a guy today, who own's a 2016 T-880,  CX 15 cummins..  at 275,000. miles the crank broke.  it was a warranty repair,,  But WHY??   All that went through my mind was,,,   E-6/E-7/even E-Tech....  + 12.7 Series 60,  3406 Cat.  A Million Mile's,,,,  no sweat...   $200k trucks, and no longevity built in..   anyway,,   jojo

34 minutes ago, Joey Mack said:

I just talked to a guy today, who own's a 2016 T-880,  CX 15 cummins..  at 275,000. miles the crank broke.  it was a warranty repair,,  But WHY??   All that went through my mind was,,,   E-6/E-7/even E-Tech....  + 12.7 Series 60,  3406 Cat.  A Million Mile's,,,,  no sweat...   $200k trucks, and no longevity built in..   anyway,,   jojo

I can think of plenty of 3406s that had broken cranks. I owned one that got a short block under warranty. E6 ?  Notorious for cams, E7 ? Oil pressure issues that kept Jakes from working. E Tech ? Lots of problems with the overhead.  They all have problems. One of the issues now is they're all way more complicated and less guys to work on them than ever. 

If Mack goes with the Volvo cab, at least I hope the put the easy removable floor panel in like the Mack cab. In the Volvo cab we always had to pull the Ishift trans all the way out to get the shifter cover off. The Mack cab has the huge removable floor panel you can take out and do a lot on Mdrive repairs without taking the trans out. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Mackpro said:

If Mack goes with the Volvo cab, at least I hope the put the easy removable floor panel in like the Mack cab. In the Volvo cab we always had to pull the Ishift trans all the way out to get the shifter cover off. The Mack cab has the huge removable floor panel you can take out and do a lot on Mdrive repairs without taking the trans out. 

MP ! I guess I got to say is why would they make it easy ?  Nothing they do  on the maintenance side is easy! CAN'T MAKE MONEY WITH EASY!  And besides that was a Good Mack design feature Can't use any of them good Mack Ideas! The list is long the good ideas they chucked out when they took over . example First one being the centra max offered for a 1/2 year on MP7,   engine mounts ( changed any of these lately )? cheep and simple as it gets!, As for the Cab R/D  They will morph the Volvo Cab And put a redesigned different looking hood on it just like they did with GMC AND the others , put a bulldog on the hood, put some puppy markings on it, install  doggy print floor mats in it , call it a Mack! that will be the only easy stuff they will do!

Will see! This day has been coming for a long time! Way longer than I ever anticipated! and it still ain't here yet however it is inevitable! 

10 hours ago, Joey Mack said:

R.E.D.  I hear ya...    I agree with you..  as long as PAI and others keep making good quality parts, and guys with the knowledge to fix them still exist, you should be good for a while..  I have a lot to learn, but I do hope to be a Mack Doctor some day..   :)  jojo

Buddy You already 😍 ARE! 😀

11 hours ago, Mackpro said:

That floor in my opinion wasn't all that great in a vocational truck. While it's true it was fantastic as far as any major repairs transmission wise , it really didn't leave a good spot between the seats for any kind of controls for a dump body or anything like that. On another note, the older Granites ?  again for a vocational truck ?  they gave up about a foot of usable frame space behind the cab because of the exhaust.  Really not ideal.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mark T said:

That floor in my opinion wasn't all that great in a vocational truck. While it's true it was fantastic as far as any major repairs transmission wise , it really didn't leave a good spot between the seats for any kind of controls for a dump body or anything like that. On another note, the older Granites ?  again for a vocational truck ?  they gave up about a foot of usable frame space behind the cab because of the exhaust.  Really not ideal.  

And the Volvo? just sayin!

Make no mistake about it, I'm not pro Volvo. I'd be perfectly fine with the R cab (RW 😍)  and E Tech .  Just seems like who ever engineers or the board of directors deciding what new stuff is must be somewhat removed from actually using the trucks.  

• Like 1
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Mark T said:

Make no mistake about it, I'm not pro Volvo. I'd be perfectly fine with the R cab (RW 😍)  and E Tech .  Just seems like who ever engineers or the board of directors deciding what new stuff is must be somewhat removed from actually using the trucks.  

Absolutely ! Engineering is the left hand , Us people on the floor are the right hand ! The left hand and the right hand are separated by a big Cement wall ! The leftys never get to see what the rightys have to do to fix their F ups! Rightys re invent the wheel more than they will ever know!

Edited by fjh

11 hours ago, Joey Mack said:

yes they all have their issues,,  I guess, to me broken crankshafts, baffle me...  jojo

I have seen very few Cranks broken Maybe half dozen over the period of 45 years ! We had a V8 drive into the shop with the crank broken in half once ! Remarkable actually! , Seen several E6 cranks broke Damper issues Mainly! can't recall any E7 cranks breaking however I sure it happens! Ive heard The Cat 3408 V8 used to break Cranks on a regular basis ! That said ! is not an eye witness account !

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, fjh said:

I have seen very few Cranks broken Maybe half dozen over the period of 45 years ! We had a V8 drive into the shop with the crank broken in half once ! Remarkable actually! , Seen several E6 cranks broke Damper issues Mainly! can't recall any E7 cranks breaking however I sure it happens! Ive heard The Cat 3408 V8 used to break Cranks on a regular basis ! That said ! is not an eye witness account !

Ever see a 3408 crank shaft ?  They suck for any application where torque is required from the engine. They were ok for big horsepower, but a lousy design for torque. 3406 E and C15s had some issues with broken cranks. 

Just now, Mark T said:

Ever see a 3408 crank shaft ?  They suck for any application where torque is required from the engine. They were ok for big horsepower, but a lousy design for torque. 3406 E and C15s had some issues with broken cranks. Broken crank ??  they usually still run. They really can't go anywhere even after it breaks.  Not to say there isn't lots of damage, but it's pretty trapped in there.

Oooooooooooo hell I forgot about that part passenger seat is always rattling well most of the time and the plastic around the steering wheel a lot of times has vibrating noises …all steel cab  U model was a lot louder but a lot more fun  but yes I did like our T 800s I like better they were more fun and way less shop time.. bob

2 hours ago, Mackpro said:

We had 2 early MP8 cranks break. They were the 485 HP ( before the 505 was available) with manual transmissions and were used for heavy equipment moving. I remember cranks breaking quite often in the E6’s but never on any E7/ ETECH. 

How about on the old 2 valve engines when the block would get busted up down around the main webs ? Yes. after the stroke job (E7/E Tech)  there wasn't much problems in the crankshaft area on the Macks. 

I understand that trucks are changing and yes I love the old monsters of the road but on the other hand I'm quite satisfied with my 2016 CHU613 Pinnacle. Mack MP8 at 445 horse with a Eaton 13spd. Yeah it has the dreaded DEF but the Ol'Girls still a Beast when I need her to be.

It's good of you to show respect for your truck..  It is also good to hear that one of these Volvo's with Mack badges is serving you well..   I am quite sure the Manual tranny has a lot to do with your satisfaction with the truck..  I get upset because Mack is an American Name that goes along with the industrial growth of our Great Country,  since 1903...  It is every bit of a 'War Hero' as is the men and women that put it ALL on the line for us..  Volvo just lined the Mack up on the wall,  and yelled,  FIRE!!  Keep up the good work Rubber Duck..  God bless you...   jojo

Edited by Joey Mack
poor sperring..
  • Like 1