1965 Mack B815SX

6 hours ago, mrsmackpaul said:

For 380 bucks you could have changed all 4 over to the modern style ones

Still, it is what it is I guess

Paul

One thing you run into on these old camelbacks--not enough room to fit a standard chamber. The rotochambers are a lot smaller diameter.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, today was the day, after a quick trip to the local tag office, the title, tag and taxes are paid and the B is now legal for the road.

After a fill up at the local Murphy station, I went by the quarry and checked the empty weight,

28,500 lbs with an empty bed and 2 full fuel tanks, not as bad as I was expecting.

That allows me to haul 13 1/4 tons as it sits now.  This will most likely drop after I re-plate the bed with 3/8 steel.

Edited by AMGeneral
  • Like 2

3/8 is pretty thick I would of thought

I think most tipper bodies built in Australia now are maybe 3mm or 1/8th Hardox steel

There would be a equivalent steel in the U.S. if not the same steel

I feel thats gunna be 1/3 the steel in weight and possibly 1/2  the cost

Might be worth looking into

Good to have it road registered 

That is a nice lite weight for the truck I reckon

Paul

If you’re looking to put her to work you might see if the local mulch suppliers are looking for truckers. You will most likely max out on volume before you get close on weight. My Dad worked for one back in the day and they could never get enough trucks, especially in the spring. 
Looking forward to more updates. 
Dave

Well, The B81 gets 4 new 12.00R24 shoes in the morning,

The rear rear axle had 4 caps on it and the weather checking is more serious than I would like on a truck this heavy, most of the checking is in the sidewalls, but I noticed one of the caps starting to come apart in the tread, better safe than sorry!

$2200 for 4 new tires, mounted with new flaps and tubes, not too bad.

Still enjoying driving this truck ,it never gets old.

Edited by AMGeneral

59 minutes ago, AMGeneral said:

Well, The B81 gets 4 new 12.00R24 shoes in the morning,

The rear rear axle had 4 caps on it and the weather checking is more serious than I would like on a truck this heavy, most of the checking is in the sidewalls, but I noticed one of the caps starting to come apart in the tread, better safe than sorry!

$2200 for 4 new tires, mounted with new flaps and tubes, not too bad.

Still enjoying driving this truck ,it never gets old.

What brand tires?? tough to find 24's!

On 3/18/2021 at 9:13 PM, Red Horse said:

What brand tires?? tough to find 24's!

I went with 4 Ironman I-301 20 ply tires, they are one of the tires offered by Hercules Rubber company here in the U.S. but I think the tires themselves are made overseas.

Time will tell how the wear and hold up, but my local tire supplier has never steered me wrong over the years I have purchased from him.

4 hours ago, 70mackMB said:

The part of the video of the inside of the cab about made me cry. (l drive a Volvo🚮 company tractor.:angry:)    .....Hippy 

It is a blast to drive, I have put almost 500 miles on it in the last couple weeks hauling logs, stone, and equipment out to the property we are moving to, It always gets stares, thumbs up and Huge grins from people as I pass by, The only ones who don't enjoy it are the cars behind me as I get up to speed.

I usually start out in 1st direct, then progress up through the gears till I hit 4th Hi split at 38 mph, the reach over, shift to 5th and let the dog pull!👍

Edited by AMGeneral
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, AMGeneral said:

It is a blast to drive, I have put almost 500 miles on it in the last couple weeks hauling logs, stone, and equipment out to the property we are moving to, It always gets stares, thumbs up and Huge grins from people as I pass by, The only ones who don't enjoy it are the cars behind me as I get up to speed.

I usually start out in 1st direct, then progress up through the gears till I hit 4th Hi split at 38 mph, the reach over, shift to 5th and let the dog pull!👍

Ya big tease