Dennis Meehan (oldmacks.com) had a tilt-nose B-model on his lot a few years ago.  He said it was a factory prototype.  If I recall correctly, it was all steel, though. 

Seems like it had an inter-cooled Maxi stuffed into it.  Been a while...don't remember as clearly as I used to.

Dennis was telling about all the parts you had to buy if you hit a B in the nose.  It was a butt-load of stuff.  By comparison, the same damage to an R required only a handful of part numbers to fix.  Sounded reasonable to me.

• Like 1

"Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines."

17 hours ago, Maddog13407 said:

you sure that's Australia?? looks a lot like the back lot of the test center in Allentown?? and the steering wheel is def on the left

Can only go on the information provided 

A few questions that come to mind are

Why would Mack in the U.S. or Australia even muck around with this as the R model would have been well on the way by then

I agree the steering wheel looks to be on the left as I  cant see no shaft or box or linkage on the picture 

The exhaust is on the right which most in Australia are on the left with a  ertical exhaust

As far as I know all the B models from new in Australia had a under slung side exiting exhaust 

Even the first 5 years or so of R models were like this 

I don't know either way but find it interesting  just the same, I had never heard of this before

Paul 

I was told they offered a fiberglass tilt nose on the later B53’s.  I do not have literature to back this up.  I have seen several that look just like a regular B model hood without the seams.  There was a B61 near me with a fiberglass hood.  They claimed it was the first B6 built.  The serial number plate said B61T1000.  The stamp was ground off the frame.  I think there was some funny business going on there. Mike. 

Edited by yarnall

Yes after thinking it over I will come to the conclusion there’s nothing wrong with it at all except for manual steering..... Kenworth cabover what is the hardest one I can ever remember couldn’t move the steering wheel  at all if the truck wasnt rolling a little bit

I remember seeing a couple B model dump trucks around Los Angeles in the 80s with fiberglass nose.... I thought it was a fabulous idea for working on them ...of course I’m sure most of us,,, would prefer steel nose

A one piece nose would make it impossible for me to work on my truck in the garage since the stall is only as long as the truck!!  Its a PITA as is, but at least I can work on it.

Those Clariben hoods with quad lights are not my cup of tea.  That stock looking hood is nice.

• Like 1

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

21 hours ago, Maddog13407 said:

there was never a B62T far as I know. the single axle version was a B60 and tandem was a  B62. both replaced with a B68 that covered both variables

My fat fingers typed 62 instead of 61. I corrected it above. Mike. 

I took these pics at the ATHS convention at South Bend in 2011. I'm still looking for a pic of the complete truck. I'm pretty sure this was a custom built doghouse. I know Mike Harbinson, Rob and Larry were all there. Did any of you guys get info on it?

ATHS South Bend, IN 2011 108.jpg

ATHS South Bend, IN 2011 109.jpg

ATHS South Bend, IN 2011 110.jpg

ATHS South Bend, IN 2011 107.jpg

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/5/2020 at 3:49 PM, Vladislav said:

Blue truck is what was for sale at OldMacks.

Purple hood was offered by a company in the States. I don't recall details excepting that Paul 41Chevy posted the link.

As you can see in both cases the look was Ok.

385 001.JPG

385 009.JPG

fiberglass.1.jpg

fiberglass.2.jpg

fiberglass.3.jpg

fiberglass.4.jpg

fiberglass.5.jpg

That was the one I saw at OldMacks.  Thanks for posting that, Vlad!

• Like 1

"Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines."

• 1 month later...

I’m really thinking of cutting my sheet metal  and converting it into a tilt front.  Just got the engine out and once I get the new steering box squared away that will be next.    

I spoke with Kevin All he is in the process of building and going to sell original looking fiberglass tilt fronts for the B.    

• Like 2