Ship

Bullheaded

Nice view....Wait!!! is that near where the Fits went under???

We had some high winds down here in Chicago yesterday and today.  hear the storm was moving across NY tonight.  Only ship I have ever been on was the Queen Mary out in Long Beach. It was impressive to see how so much steel can float. and thats not all that big of a ship these days.  Down here we see a few boats near gary IN but not the kind of traffic that was present when all the mills were running

Yes sir. The Fitz is right by Whitefish Point.

I'd love to go for a ride on one....but only in good weather. LOL

This ship is on the same route to Deluth right now. I don't know the extent of the storm but it was a complete white out of snow this morning. But it all melted again. But was windy all day.

a8980db77acf0ab0cf4aeac6a645ccfa.jpg

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Ditchdiggerjcf said:

How far offshore is the EF wreck site?

I found this on the net:

Shortly after 7:10 p.m., Edmund Fitzgerald suddenly sank in Canadian (Ontario) waters 530 feet (88 fathoms; 160 m) deep, about 17 miles (15 nautical miles; 27 kilometers) from Whitefish Bay near the twin cities of Sault Ste. Marie, Michigan, and Sault Ste. Marie, On.

Clicked a picture of the Stella Polaris oil tanker traveling east in 2015 at the west end of the St Lawrence Seaway.  Cape Vincent, NY is in the background.

Stella Polaris.JPG

Stella Polaris further out in Lake Ontario.

100_1448 - Copy.JPG

Jim

It doesn't cost anything to pay attention.

2 hours ago, Bullheaded said:

I found this on the net:

Shortly after 7:10 p.m., Edmund Fitzgerald suddenly sank in Canadian (Ontario) waters 530 feet (88 fathoms; 160 m) deep, about 17 miles (15 nautical miles; 27 kilometers) from Whitefish Bay near the twin cities of Sault Ste. Marie, Michigan, and Sault Ste. Marie, On.

That doesn't tell us how far offshore the wreck is though.

About 13 miles from the entrance of Whitehorse Bay, 17 miles total from the bays anchorage.

Edited by 41chevy

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

I was in Duluth/Two Harbors back in Sept of 2018 for a wedding and absolutely fell in love with the north shore of Lake Superior. The wedding was Sat and I didn't fly home until Monday, so that Sunday I got to explore downtown Duluth and the harbor attractions. Got to watch the lift bridge go up 3x but was for small craft, none of the Lakers. 

Then later on a friend turned me on to the Duluth Harborcams, and I do tune in once in a while, especially when there is a good storm. When there is a good blow, the water regularly comes over the walls, and sometimes touches the bottom of the lift bridge (select "bridge cam" in the cam view menu....) 

http://www.duluthharborcam.com/p/canal-park-cams.html

I now know several of the lakers by sight, including the Paul R. Tregurtha, the Queen of the Lakes (largest...) 

Sometime I would like to get back to see the Soo Locks. And I would LOVE to book passage on board one of the Lakers in their passenger accomodations but I understand that is difficult to do. 

Edited by 1958 F.W.D.

TWO STROKES ARE FOR GARDEN TOOLS

Saw this research vessel when my wife and I were at Newport Oregon last year. I was told that college students got to work and help with research on that shop in the summers. I know very little else about it. 
https://oceanexplorer.noaa.gov/technology/vessels/atlantis/atlantis.html

FFE71482-8E65-4921-ACC5-A948D7435D95.jpeg

44D6F521-8516-4436-8983-FB3516D6C107.jpeg

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by the people who vote for a living.

The government can only "give" someone what they first take from another.

2 hours ago, Ditchdiggerjcf said:

That tells how far from sheltered water, but not how far from the closest dry land.

i don't remember the exact figure but that was far.

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

5 hours ago, 1958 F.W.D. said:

I was in Duluth/Two Harbors back in Sept of 2018 and absolutely fell in love with the north shore of Lake Superior. The wedding was Sat and I didn't fly home until Monday, so that Sunday I got to explore downtown Duluth and the harbor attractions. Got to watch the lift bridge go up 3x but was for small craft, none of the Lakers. 

Then later on a friend turned me on to the Duluth Harborcams, and I do tune in once in a while, especially when there is a good storm. When there is a good blow, the water regularly comes over the walls, and sometimes touches the bottom of the lift bridge (select "bridge cam" in the cam view menu....) 

I now know several of the lakers by sight, including the Paul R. Tregurtha, the Queen of the Lakes (largest...) 

Sometime I would like to get back to see the Soo Locks. And I would LOVE to book passage on board one of the Lakers in their passenger accomodations but I understand that is difficult to do. 

I also saw a really good show on Discovery Science channel I think it was? I think it was that Mighty Ships show and it was all about the Paul R Tregurtha. I had lots of really cool footage and of it passing through the Soo Locks.

I get to see all these big iron ore haulers because they all come to out steel mill.

I think I have seen that oil tanker also delivering to the Sault.

Little known fact: The Arthur M. Anderson, which was the ship traveling with the Edmund Fitzgerald, and the last ship ever to have communicated with the Fitz, recently returned back into service in July of 2019 after having been in long-term layup in Duluth. 

• Like 2

TWO STROKES ARE FOR GARDEN TOOLS

It's amazing the lifespan of these ships when you look at their date of manufacture. Especially with the pounding they take going through the ice and the occasional running aground. 

I know it's not a job for some. I know people that worked on these ships when they were young and now you can't even get them to step on to a pleasure craft tied to the dock, LOL 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Bullheaded said:

It's amazing the lifespan of these ships when you look at their date of manufacture. Especially with the pounding they take going through the ice and the occasional running aground. 

I know it's not a job for some. I know people that worked on these ships when they were young and now you can't even get them to step on to a pleasure craft tied to the dock, LOL 

We took a cruise in 2000 and it was tough for me to get on a ship again. Had a lot of fun but memories of six and seven month deployments to hostile waters plagued me at first.

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

11 hours ago, Bullheaded said:

Do the same with a truck if drivers didn't set out to destroy them from day one, could never understand why they need carve  their name on everything, or drill 20 holes to mount one radio and stickers all over the dash ??????? like why does a driver need a convex mirror inside the cab  ??

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, david wild said:

Do the same with a truck if drivers didn't set out to destroy them from day one, could never understand why they need carve  their name on everything, or drill 20 holes to mount one radio and stickers all over the dash ??????? like why does a driver need a convex mirror inside the cab  ??

I’m sure you have seen some of the same crazy shit I have.   Never ceases to amaze me.   

On 4/10/2020 at 12:33 PM, 1958 F.W.D. said:

I was in Duluth/Two Harbors back in Sept of 2018 for a wedding and absolutely fell in love with the north shore of Lake Superior. The wedding was Sat and I didn't fly home until Monday, so that Sunday I got to explore downtown Duluth and the harbor attractions. Got to watch the lift bridge go up 3x but was for small craft, none of the Lakers. 

I recommend taking a half day charter fishing Lake Trout. You’ll have a lot of fun, see some lake and have a trout supper for 8.