32 minutes ago, Ditchdiggerjcf said:

What is that horrible popping noise I keep hearing in these aussie macks?

Is that just a common trait of the v8 powered trucks?

That is the same "Thumping" that all Mack E9's including American ones have when under load. Just maybe no E9's down by you.

many years ago there was a paving company that used a v8 superliner to pull the lowboy. 

it was named "thumper" and lived up to it's name. you could hear  it coming with a load 1/2 mile away.

when you are up to your armpits in alligators,

it is hard to remember you only came in to drain the swamp..

THE GREATEST SOUND ON EARTH! I sure miss that. All the ones I drove were turned up and had straight pipes and I will never forget that sound. And the sound of the turbo whistle in the cab.

There was nothing like passing tandem van freight haulers in the hills when you had 140,000 on.

Vaguely familiar sound. My water wagon with a load on sounds good too but it's only an anemic 866 engine.

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

22 hours ago, Freightrain said:

I loved my straight piped ford 7.3 powerstroke diesel.  It sounded like a baby E9!  

You know why? I talked to a old Mack engineer about the sound the V8's years ago. The Powerstroke and the Mack engines have the same firing order. Even the END 865/866 have the sound but not so much of the "Thump", just a small block version of the E9. Mack chose the firing order based on the Ford V8 I was told, guess there was a Ford fan at Mack at the time. Makes sense look at how the cylinders are numbered. 

1 minute ago, AZB755V8 said:

You know why? I talked to a old Mack engineer about the sound the V8's years ago. The Powerstroke and the Mack engines have the same firing order. Even the END 865/866 have the sound but not so much of the "Thump", just a small block version of the E9. Mack chose the firing order based on the Ford V8 I was told, guess there was a Ford fan at Mack at the time. Makes sense look at how the cylinders are numbered. 

Ford was the first on the scene with a V8 engine in the 1930's. To be different GM and Chrysler went with the 18436572 arrangement which still worked well with the 90 degree layout platform. Firing order has more to do with power pulses per degree of crankshaft rotation than anything else and it needs to be smooth. Every 45 degrees in this example.

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Looks like in the second video the Mack is hauling COWS.

Holly Cow Batman give them dust masks.

Those poor animals will be choked to death by time they get to the slaughter house.

Where's PETA when you need them. People Eat Tasty Animals.

Mack 11E.jpg

6 minutes ago, Rob said:

Straight line pulling is nice but I prefer a truck "At Work":

Really ain't much better than the sounds of man and machine in harmony.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Ditchdiggerjcf said:

I watched that vid the other day. I assumed either the mic being real close to the stacks, or that truck had issues that was causing it to sound like crapola.

Lot of power behind that noise. One of the best powertrains produced is a Mack V8 and a 12 speed Mack transmission.

I have an 865 engine turned up with a straight pipe and it sounds very similar when in the throttle.

• Like 1

On 3/11/2020 at 7:19 AM, Bullheaded said:

THE GREATEST SOUND ON EARTH! I sure miss that. All the ones I drove were turned up and had straight pipes and I will never forget that sound. And the sound of the turbo whistle in the cab.

There was nothing like passing tandem van freight haulers in the hills when you had 140,000 on.

This is a close second.. In My opinion..

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

17 hours ago, Mack Technician said:

Guy next to me at the lunchroom table thought I was watching a helicopter video. 

That's how I always described it Mack Tech. Like a helicopter at full pitch. I used to work for a fleet that had Superliners, both dump truck and pup and 5 axle dump trailers. All E9's with either 12 speed Mack's or 15 speed Eaton's. And all dual straight pipes with no mufflers. Nothing like passing tandem freight haulers on 12% hills in high range when you got 140,000 pounds and listening to that sound!