IHC Payhauler

Bullheaded

Thanks for those pics KS. I wonder what problems they had? I have read that these Payhaulers would run circles around the Mack and Euclids of the time. They said they had higher top speed than all the other haul trucks of the time. (I'm talking about these original late 50's/early 60's Payhaulers.)

But the ones that came with Rolls Royce engines had problems, like high oil consumption and failures. (IH Canada used a lot of Rolls Royce power at at time.)

Now the later Payhaulers with all wheel drive that had the dual tires front and rear.....they did not earn a very good reputation for reliability. There are still one or two of those working in our local steel mill.

• Thanks 1

I had the pleasure of running 769's 773's and 777's and they beat you a lot worst than any on road trucks. In the strippings you would hit a bounce and i would be airborne when i would get loaded with a big excavator it would shake the crap out of you and when you tipped your load sometimes it would lift the front wheels off the ground it was a hard return to the ground. 

Nice pic Swishy. That is the same style we have here in the steel mill if any of the two are still running. They have everything from C500 and 6900 Star dump trucks, up to 777 Cats in there.

They are pretty cool looking with the duals front and rear, but I have always heard these models were plagued with mechanical issues.

4 minutes ago, Bullheaded said:

Nice pic Swishy. That is the same style we have here in the steel mill if any of the two are still running. They have everything from C500 and 6900 Star dump trucks, up to 777 Cats in there.

They are pretty cool looking with the duals front and rear, but I have always heard these models were plagued with mechanical issues.

Gateway Terminals is a large bulk material handler in New Haven Conn.  Outbound scrap steel is one material they handle.  Not sure if they still use them but they had a bunch of those 8 wheeled Internationals and they would drive out onto the  pier where the scrap ships we tied  up.  The cargo cranes had what looked like huge drag line buckets and the trucks would back into the buckets, dump  the load, then the cranes would lift them up and dump into the ship.  Quite an operation.  

How about it Blackdog-still  doing it that way?

• 6 months later...
  • 2 years later...
2 hours ago, NycHeavyIron said:

I had no idea heavy equipment posts were allowed in here, i have a bunch of 350c payhauler pictures from freshkills that i would love to share

ya mean the "little" ones with the 100 yard bodies on them?😁

• Haha 1

when you are up to your armpits in alligators,

it is hard to remember you only came in to drain the swamp..

• 3 weeks later...