IHC Payhauler

Bullheaded

it all ended up on site in the landfill Paul. 

freshkills landfill on Staten Island New York is one of the few landfills that can be seen from outer space. 

it is around 890 hectares, and ranges in size from 30 to 80 meter tall

• Like 1

when you are up to your armpits in alligators,

it is hard to remember you only came in to drain the swamp..

So they are building a big hill ? Or filling a big hole ?

Either way it sounds huge

I remember back in the 80's a bloke I worked with told me NewYork had roughly Australia's entire population in one city

It might of been New York state, dont know

Either way that's a lotta people with a lotta rubbish

For those that don't know, I  grew up on a farm and spent most of my working life farming

My brother is also the same, in the early 90's he went to the U.S. and Canada  and reckoned L.A. was a horrible place but reckons he could easily live in NewYork, both those things were a shock to me from a country boy

Keep the photos and stories coming, I  really enjoy learning about different places and how things work

Thank you

Paul

• Thanks 1

That's impressive 

So now this land fill is full, how far does it have travel now to a land fill

And I guess it might sound huge, but 3000 acres and it lasted roughly 50 years isnt to bad if 20 million people were contributing rubbish 

Keep the photos coming, I mighten comment much but I really  do enjoy seeing all of this stuff

Paul

• Thanks 1

it actually is not "full" Paul. it was closed due to complaints of floating debris in waterways, odors feral animals, and a bunch of other complaints. the EPA was heavily involved in the closing too. 

as for travel distance, waste is now transported to local transfer facilities by truck, where it is sorted and loaded into rail cars to be sent by rail to other states. mostly virginia, ohio, and soon to be going to a new landfill in north western new york.

• Like 1

when you are up to your armpits in alligators,

it is hard to remember you only came in to drain the swamp..