1988 Mack MH6122 4x4 tractor

Superdog

You don’t see too many old ups trucks make out of their hands. I tried before to buy old ups trucks and the mechanic said they don’t let old trucks get resold they cut them up for parts or scrap them  and make sure they were destroyed.  That’s what I was told

Maybe it survived because they didn’t feel it would be used to compete with them because of its unusual attributes.  Lessons learned, Greyhound and Trailways would sell their old buses to anyone. The buses they sold were soon competing against them. I could never figure out why someone would sell a piece of equipment at a fraction of what it cost them to ultimately contribute to their demise.

4 hours ago, Superdog said:

1 of only 12 built for UPS,only one known to have survived. Would like to see this go to a very special home,as its probably one of the rarest Macks around.

I only hear that UPS had the 4x4 MH and did not take more then the initial order. Great to actually see one. It has a very unusual step frame that was only used on this application along with the huge transfer case. Think there was something special with the front axle as well. Defiantly a one and only to survive. Incredible to even get out of UPS in one piece. 

What does it have for power and trans?

It needs to go into good hands for sure.:clap: 

Edited by AZB755V8
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, AZB755V8 said:

I only hear that UPS had the 4x4 MH and did not take more then the initial order. Great to actually see one. It has a very unusual step frame that was only used on this application along with the huge transfer case. Think there was something special with the front axle as well. Defiantly a one and only to survive. Incredible to even get out of UPS in one piece. 

What does it have for power and trans?

It needs to go into good hands for sure.:clap: 

E6 4 valve and a 5 speed

17 hours ago, Superdog said:

I know,scrapyards weren't even supposed to be allowed to sell parts off them. I saw several of the step vans come in to one yard that had near new tires,and they had to pop them with the loader forks as soon as they hit the yard.,luckily this one escaped getting scrapped

you have a price on it mike?    terry:MackLogo:

Mike I might be seriously looking at it, but without a price I can’t even really look at it, between restoring the two trucks we have and dad having to take off of work for a year to have heart surgery, not to mention grandpa recently being confined to a wheelchair, we don’t really have the money to buy a new truck right now. But if we had the money the worst we’d do to it is paint it up and put new wheels and tires on it and it’d go right back to being an OTR tractor hauling grandpa’s firetrucks to shows now instead of box trailers. What I’m trying to say is I’m sure there’s others out there who could give this truck a good home they just don’t have the cash right now to buy it, especially since it being so rare is probably gonna drive up the price...

I really hope it goes to a good place though, I hate to see any old truck go to waste. Even parting it out is better than letting it rot away or turning it into scrap metal... especially a historic piece like this! It deserves to be back on the road!

Who needs a back yard when you could have a :mack1: Yard?!

The right guy will come along with the money and resources.  It looks like a good restoration project, there appears to be a lot to work with.  IMHO, it would be great to see it restored to as delivered condition, but it someone really hated the brown it could look good restored stock with a correct factory sales broucher style paint job.  Andy

• Like 1