Operation Desert Storm Macks

That's great history there! I'm surprised they aren't all identical, the military is normally really anal about every part on every piece of equipment being identical. That way parts swaps in the field will match.  What engine and transmission?

1 hour ago, JoeH said:

That's great history there! I'm surprised they aren't all identical, the military is normally really anal about every part on every piece of equipment being identical. That way parts swaps in the field will match.  What engine and transmission?

It was a rush order, because the military didn’t have enough current inventory to move the tanks quickly across the desert. Mack just pulled what they had out of current inventory, often taking trucks from people that had them on order. 

The trailers were made by Kalyn and Landoll. Sgt Titus  told me that they even had to finish the assembly on some of the trailers after they arrived in Saudi Arabia, because they didn’t have enough time to complete them at the factory.

• Like 1

Wouldn't it be cool if the trailer you bought was with the RD in Desert Storm!

• Like 1

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

2 hours ago, 41chevy said:

Wouldn't it be cool if the trailer you bought was with the RD in Desert Storm!

I've actually been looking for one of the trailers. There has been a few sell.

On a side note, Sgt Titus also told me that they had lots of problems with the trailers. With a loaded M1A1 Tank (almost 140,000 lbs) the trailer would have quite a bit of bow in it. This badly loaded the front trailer axles, and they experienced several bent axles on the front trailer axle. I'd imagine the rush to design and build them had something to do with it, but you also have to consider that the military can be awfully hard on equipment, and they were traveling at relatively high speeds over less than ideal roads. 

42 minutes ago, m16ty said:

I've actually been looking for one of the trailers. There has been a few sell.

That's  the M747 trailer you want? The place I bought my AM General power units had four M747's in the yard, tired but sat level and straight. I'll dig out the contact when I get back  to Va.

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

On 6/16/2019 at 11:26 PM, 41chevy said:

That's  the M747 trailer you want? The place I bought my AM General power units had four M747's in the yard, tired but sat level and straight. I'll dig out the contact when I get back  to Va.

No, it wasn’t the M747 that they pulled during Desert Storm. It was a trailer built specifically for the mission and didn’t have a “M” number. It was similar to the M747, but these were built by Kalyn and Landoll, and had the standard 2” kingpin.

• Like 2

On 6/19/2019 at 9:46 AM, PaLawman said:

IMG_1130.thumb.JPG.add4d9839a5b3f90ed6731125bbd04c0.JPGIMG_1135.thumb.JPG.d0f535adb4411d23cfe030fe278a77f5.JPGIMG_1136.thumb.JPG.5577d92b5acea3a74d8edbbe29687c9f.JPG

I don’t know if that was one of the trucks or not. None of them were painted white originally. My truck was the only all Mack truck there, and only E9. Most had Mack 350 engines and Fuller 8LL trans.

I’ve only seen 2 verified trucks that came from Desert Storm. Mine, and a black one sold government surplus out of CA a few years ago. The black one was Mack engine and 8LL trans. Those are the only 2 out of the 48 that I know of making it back to the States.

It’s kind of surprising any of them made it back, and not just left over there. I know my truck was still over there as late as 2003. A that time it was in storage at a port in Saudi Arabia.

A few ways to tell one of the trucks  is most should be 1990-1991 models. In the door there was a decal that said “outfitted by Leigh Consolidated Industries”, and the 5th wheels were normally painted OD green (borrowed from military counterparts).

A great story you could learn about your truck.

Always nice to add a fact or two to the collection of things related to your main subject of interest.

What surprized me is bright colors military used in desert for their equipment. I would expect seeing everything painted beige. Ok, Coronado tan if saying correct.

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

2 hours ago, PaLawman said:

I really wish someone would make this truck in a 1/25th or a 1/32nd scale model kit or a resin conversion. Really is an awesome truck!!! 

It was made fews years ago I believe by RNK conversions but I do not know any model casters who does them today. I still have an unbuilt conversion kit in 1/24 which I bought over 10 yrs ago.

11 hours ago, JoeH said:

No the story implies they weren't a contract bid purchase. They were a last minute "hey we need trucks can you get us a few?" These trucks weren't built for the military, but they wound up filling the job last minute. More of a cash transaction sort of deal than negotiated bid contract.

Correct. The US was ramping up for war and realized they didn’t have enough trucks to move tanks quickly across the vast desert. They reached out to Mack because they were the only US manufacturer that would have heavy spec trucks in inventory for immediate shipment. Also, all this was top secret while it was going on. Mack was actually pulling trucks out of inventory that people had on order in lots of cases.

I’ve got many more pics of the trucks over in the desert, but they are from a closed group Facebook page and I haven’t got permission to post them. Sgt Titus is the only one that has given me permission to post the pics he sent me. 

Here is a YouTube video of the trucks over there. I don’t think my truck is in any of the video.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Swishy said:

sum pix I scrounged off the NEt

gty_desert_storm_07_jc_160115_11x8_1600.

HETT.jpg

1000x812_q95.jpg

220px-A_Fox_NBC-detection_vehicle_is_tra

M911_Tractor_Truck_with_a_HET_semitraile

cya

The first and last pics are a Oshkosh M911 with a M747 trailer, the rest of the pics are a Oshkosh M1070 with a M1000 trailer.

Edited by m16ty

6 hours ago, 1965 said:

Wonder if your truck was ordered by someone or just 1 in stock. You said all Mack components, what transmission is in it; I’m sure you’ve posted it before. Very cool story on that big boy!

My truck is actually a 1985. When it was procured by the military in 1991, I have documentation it had 2,300 miles. I don’t know if my truck was the one that came from Mack used trucks, or it was somehow unused in Mack inventory. That is the main mystery I have about the truck now, what did it do to only have 2,300 miles from 1985 until 1991? I have the original order form from the Mack Museum, and it was ordered by Theriault Brothers Logging through Mack of Maine back in 1985.

The truck has a Mack E-9 500hp engine and Mack 12-speed trans. I have added a 2-speed Fuller auxiliary trans also since I’ve had the truck.