Make Money with Gold

13 minutes ago, Rob said:

I prefer red as it's mine:

image.jpeg.752481e9a9e56f3ec668f6194f1edb6c.jpeg

No hood scoop yet but it's coming.

You have the 56 qt oil pan that comes with the ESI+ package. 25,000 mile oil change interval. And an engine that'll run that long and then some between trips to the dealer.  Standard came with with 1 filter, small oil pan. ESI came with bigger oil pan and 2 filters, ESI+ got the 56 qt oil pan and 3 filters.

Wish I still had the intake plumbing to go with the hood scoop, but that went in the dumpster a long time ago....

31 minutes ago, hicrop10 said:

Rob,do you know what color is the red on your motor?I would like to repaint mine.

I do not and assume it is original to the engine. There is no sloppiness to it, nor overspray on anything. It is dull and without gloss. The cylinder heads are gray "ReMack", and were replaced at the same time the engine was out of frame majored 42K miles ago. It is not however standard Mack red color that is faded.  

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

The E6-350, (two valve engine) in my B-61 is a 1982 year model and is "robin egg blue".

Edited by Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

My old 285 was gold and had a two stick six speed behind it. The truck was a 1977 R-686 series. This one is a 1980 and the only one I've seen in this color. Don't actually know if I've seen a 300 "Maxidyne" myself that was gold. A buddy had one and it was light blue and rust.

2 hours ago, Maddog13407 said:

285 Maxidynes with tip turbines were gold, 300+'s were that red color with the tip turbine as far as I know. kinda like a red 'Glyptol'color

300+ engines were originally copper,that reddish orange color was what they went with for all engines after they had to quit using gold paint on the Maxidynes,then came light blue,then gray

• Like 2

I have seen one that was somewhat copper colored but it was a rebuilt engine and didn't pay too much attention to it thinking owner/rebuilder preference.

The Mack we had with ESI (Extended Service Interval)

had a big sump with isulation on the front of sump as they claim the oil ran too cold

we removed the sump and replaced with the normal size sump and kept the 3 filters on the Cool Power 300

also by removing the sump it kept it inline with other trucks wen to do a service

cya

Though I'm not certain as have never looked into it, I think this truck was built in April, 1980. Some of engine parts have "79" cast into them, some "80", and some are dated on the castings and parts. One of the casting dates on an aluminum engine part is 3/27/80. I have a lot of paperwork from the truck since new and have known the family longer than that as went to high school with one of the relatives.

Little tidbit of nothingness: They kept this truck around a lot longer than desired, (fortunate for me) citing the disaster some of their new 2004, and 2005 Mack trucks turned out to be. More than one occasion this old R model was sent out with a trailer to bring one of those back to the shop. I was told this one was kept around because it always started and did what was asked of it. "That" is not heresay, but rather straight from the owner's mouth as told to me. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, fjh said:

Maxidyne 285 ESI ?

I was going to ask the series of the truck also? Engine is a "kissing cousin" to my ETAZ673.

I'll have to did further into my truck as far as a completion date. It is a 1980 R-612ST. 300+ engine, RTO-12513 Fuller, and Mack Camelback 3.87 rears. All is original to the truck except the replacement transmission. I have Budd hubs on front and Dayton's on the rears in 11RX24.5 rubber. Just over 500k on the clock but only about 45K on a out of frame rebuild with the new "ReMack" cylinder heads.

image.jpeg.0ad0b4c7610eaef42f55d196b1dc0fb2.jpeg

• Like 1

7 hours ago, seyser said:

Nice looking rig!

Well thank you and that mirrors my thoughts on yours. Don't get to see a lot of R models in work clothes any longer and I find it "refreshing" to see one not all dolled up.

• Like 1