MP8 EGR & DEF Delete ???

little puppy

I've talked to a few owners that have done it and are happy.

There are downsides to it though. For example I just finished working on a KW with a Paccar engine that was deleted. Guy had taken it to a dealer who refused to work on it because it was deleted. Turned out the ecm was fried. We got him a new ecm, but our local dealer would obviously only program it with the factory program. This guy is from out of town, and the company that deleted it for him is 1200 miles away, and out of business.

So, he will have to find somebody to put his delete software back in it. In the meantime though, his truck will progressively derate. 

While I have been a proponent of deleting in the past I would like to change my opinion. I was talking to some of my former coworkers yesterday and they are starting to see a serious problem.  They have had 3 trucks with deleted MP8 engines that have had intake and exhaust valves crack and break and pieces and go through the turbo. They are not dropping the valve  just a piece breaks off. Mileage varies from 220,000 to 450,000. I have seen them drop valves due to broken valve springs on 800,000 mile engines but this is totally different failure. My thoughts are to delete the DPF and DEF systems and keep the EGR . 

4 hours ago, Mackpro said:

While I have been a proponent of deleting in the past I would like to change my opinion. I was talking to some of my former coworkers yesterday and they are starting to see a serious problem.  They have had 3 trucks with deleted MP8 engines that have had intake and exhaust valves crack and break and pieces and go through the turbo. They are not dropping the valve  just a piece breaks off. Mileage varies from 220,000 to 450,000. I have seen them drop valves due to broken valve springs on 800,000 mile engines but this is totally different failure. My thoughts are to delete the DPF and DEF systems and keep the EGR . 

I wonder if these trucks had pyrometers or drivers that knew how to read a pyrometer. Trucks fuel map was probably tweaked, putting out a wider power band and more power.  Exhaust systems are designed to be most efficient at a very narrow rpm band. Modern ones are also designed for all that Regen crap. If you're going to delete it and remap the fuel, you have to get the heat out of those heads! You have to redesign the exhaust. Ideal is basically just straight piped.

11 hours ago, JoeH said:

I wonder if these trucks had pyrometers or drivers that knew how to read a pyrometer. Trucks fuel map was probably tweaked, putting out a wider power band and more power.  Exhaust systems are designed to be most efficient at a very narrow rpm band. Modern ones are also designed for all that Regen crap. If you're going to delete it and remap the fuel, you have to get the heat out of those heads! You have to redesign the exhaust. Ideal is basically just straight piped.

A bad tune definitely a possibility

Does volvo sell their engines without emissions equipment in areas that don't require it?  In other words how are the export Macks set up?  I have heard some areas of the world you can't even get low sulfur fuel. 

19 hours ago, Mackpro said:

Bud I wouldn't be so sure that is the cause! We have had the odd engine with pieces fall out of the valve with the emissions in tact ! That said I have seen a few cummins  ISX guys loose heads due to cracking  after a delete ! how ever that inlcuded a horse power upgrade so Who Knows!

1 hour ago, 6368 said:

Does volvo sell their engines without emissions equipment in areas that don't require it?  In other words how are the export Macks set up?  I have heard some areas of the world you can't even get low sulfur fuel. 

Yup the army has lots! They don't care if Our Houses Burn down thou Fire departments aren"t exempt from This stuff!  😡

We had a few export MP8’s pass through heading south to catch a boat to South America. I took a lot of pics and I think I posted them here. No egr and plain old school exhaust manifold with a regular old turbo on it. They did have the big exhaust brake thing behind the turbo that Volvo used to put on their D12 engines. 

1 hour ago, Mackpro said:

We had a few export MP8’s pass through heading south to catch a boat to South America. I took a lot of pics and I think I posted them here. No egr and plain old school exhaust manifold with a regular old turbo on it. They did have the big exhaust brake thing behind the turbo that Volvo used to put on their D12 engines. 

To bad a guy can't snag one of them to use!    terry:MackLogo:

3 hours ago, Mackpro said:

They are doing it to VOE (volvo off-road equipment) also. For the sale to a non-conforming country they will install a strip-it kit and software package. To have it done you need to have your bill of sale, port-of-call paperwork, etc, all in order. There is one specific group doing all conversion work. It's a captured, factory, procedure.   

Never thought the emergency vehicles would not be exempt!  Boy that's a disaster waiting to happen.Responding to a plane crash and go into derate.

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

As far as I'm aware and have heard, through no qualified source, emergency vehicles do not derate. Yes you get all the same warnings and Mils, but no derate. 

It is my understanding, they aren't exempt from emissions, but they are exempt from derate. 

21 hours ago, Mackpro said:

How long ago was that? In Brazil at least, they are running DPF's on all new trucks.... Lots of Volvo there, but no Macks... Macks are found in Chile and elsewhere. 

Fun is what they fine you for!

My name is Bob Buckman sir,. . . and I hate truckers.

4 hours ago, Outbehindthebarn said:

How long ago was that? In Brazil at least, they are running DPF's on all new trucks.... Lots of Volvo there, but no Macks... Macks are found in Chile and elsewhere. 

The truck was in our shop in March of 2016. It was a MP8 325 horsepower. I believe the biggest you could get on a export MP8 was 440

Edited by Mackpro

• 5 months later...

The mentioned problems of cracking exhaust is because of excessive heating.

The issues could be that they didn't drill the DPF DOC SCR filter, or the filter has collapsed - all this would result with an exhaust restrictions. You are supposed to put a 5inch hole in the center of filter, and my tuner recommends fitting a pipe in that hole(to fit tight) so the filter does not collapse.
I've done more than 500.000 miles with my deleted MP8 - and never had a problem like that!
The tuner I use is https://truckecmtunes.com

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I have a 08 mp8 475 hp deleted new motor turbo fuel pump injectors I have 50grand into this and I'm starting to get frustrated.i have no power 25 lbs boost falls on its face from 1100 to 1200 rpm no check engine lights im thinking its the ecm. my question is can I put a older ecm in that did not have emissions?