And he'll be driving again tomorrow..........

kscarbel2

looks to me like the guy in the dump was not paying attention. probably playing with his phone and not the road. 

the guy in the left lane was paying attention to road conditions and was slowing down,, which was evident by the fact he did not hit the car that was tossed in front of him.

• Like 2

when you are up to your armpits in alligators,

it is hard to remember you only came in to drain the swamp..

solar glare is not an excuse, if anything it is a reason to slow the hell down. if i can't see where i am going, i slow down to a speed where i feel safe. 

i have been pulled over many times for "driving too slow".  and every time i tell the cop i was driving just fast enough for the current road conditions. i was not driving too slow, the other drivers are driving recklessly. 

and every time the cops agreed with me and let me go on my way. 

• Like 2

when you are up to your armpits in alligators,

it is hard to remember you only came in to drain the swamp..

2 hours ago, tjc transport said:

looks to me like the guy in the dump was not paying attention. probably playing with his phone and not the road. 

the guy in the left lane was paying attention to road conditions and was slowing down,, which was evident by the fact he did not hit the car that was tossed in front of him.

Well as I see it, the guy in the hammer lane (T-600 hood??) was not paying attention.  You can clearly see the right lane is bunching up.  When I see that, I'm ready for that guy ahead of me to throw his left turn signal on-and if I don't see that I'm even more cautious that .."this jerk doesn't see what is going on".  Yes his rate of closure changed but only in the last hundred feet or so when he finally woke up to what was going on.   I called my wife over to look at this-not a "truck driver"but over the years I have pointed out various aspects of the Smith System when she was driving-I said..."watch this".  Her first comment.."guy in white truck wasn't paying attention either".  She then proceeded to give me a speech about distracted driving caused by loud music😉

Somebody was flat out not watching traffic.  He didn't hit his brakes til 2 ft from the stopped traffic.   If you look closely at about the :33 mark you can see traffic cut into the left lane up ahead.  That is fair warning that something is coming up.  Sad.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

10 hours ago, Freightrain said:

Somebody was flat out not watching traffic.  He didn't hit his brakes til 2 ft from the stopped traffic.   If you look closely at about the :33 mark you can see traffic cut into the left lane up ahead.  That is fair warning that something is coming up.  Sad.

Exactly. Both of them not paying attention.  The guy in the left lane  backs off seconds before the crash. But very early on you see quick lane changes up ahead.

On 9/17/2018 at 9:04 AM, Red Horse said:

Exactly. Both of them not paying attention.  The guy in the left lane  backs off seconds before the crash. But very early on you see quick lane changes up ahead.

Watch at the lower right of the video, the speed is shown. The KW backed off the throttle well before impact. More prepared then dump driver, probably looked up from his phone a second before the crash.

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

9 hours ago, 41chevy said:

Watch at the lower right of the video, the speed is shown. The KW backed off the throttle well before impact. More prepared then dump driver, probably looked up from his phone a second before the crash.

Paul-thx-I did not see that mph read.  I looked at it again and noted he had been consistently at 58/59 as he was gaining on the dump. At instant Volvo is on the brakes KW was at 54.  Bottom line KW did NOT hit any wreckage-but my point has been,  had he backed off much sooner, the guy in Volvo may have pulled into left lane. And by the way, looking at the video again I would say including the two cars he hit, there were no more than 4 or 5 car lengths total in front of him at moment of impact.

And again, "may have pulled into left lane".  Big IF- guy in Volvo owns this one big time but going back to my days when I would have to weigh in on "avoidable/unavoidable" big question was always not just was other guy at fault, but also ..."what could you have done to avoid this".

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Red Horse said:

Paul-thx-I did not see that mph read.  I looked at it again and noted he had been consistently at 58/59 as he was gaining on the dump. At instant Volvo is on the brakes KW was at 54.  Bottom line KW did NOT hit any wreckage-but my point has been,  had he backed off much sooner, the guy in Volvo may have pulled into left lane. And by the way, looking at the video again I would say including the two cars he hit, there were no more than 4 or 5 car lengths total in front of him at moment of impact.

And again, "may have pulled into left lane".  Big IF- guy in Volvo owns this one big time but going back to my days when I would have to weigh in on "avoidable/unavoidable" big question was always not just was other guy at fault, but also ..."what could you have done to avoid this".

I  agree 100% but also the dump driver also had an out on the shoulder / breakdown lane.

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

What the heck? Poor person he hit unsuspected out minding their own business and an idiot just plows into them. Was not the driver in the the passing lanes fault. Perhaps, he should have slowed further but who would suspect the idiot in the dump truck to do what he did. Clearly even if he gave the dump driver space or room it wouldn't have changed the outcome. The dump didn't notice the vehicles in front of him until a slit second before impact judging by the time his brake lights came on. Give credit where it is due at least the passing lane drive avoided getting involved in the collision.

Edited by tenfive0
  • Like 1

Mack 11E.jpg