Home security cameras anyone have any recommendations?

Ezrider

so yesterday i was on my way home but still a few hours out. my other half was at home alone. and some guy showed up at the house frantically banging on the doors and then going around and trying to push on the doors going from door to door of the house including the back door threw the gate. and rattle the door handles. when she tried to peer out to get a look he was trying to look inside the windows so she quickly ducked back around the corner and waited it out with my smith and Wesson model 19, loaded with hollow point 357 rounds. waiting to blow the guy away if he made entry into the house. after several mins the guy left. didn't get a description but called the non emergency police number to report the suspicious activity with out a description of the guy or anything else mostly just in case there was a developing pattern in the area. 

then about 45 mins later the same guy showed back up again. she was able to get a better description of the guy his vehicle and a partial plate. and a call to 911 as it was happening. the guy didn't stay as long the second time and was gone by the time the police arrived. of course the cops were pretty rude and acted like she was wasting there time, asking her questions like are you drinking and how do you know it wasn't just a salesman or something. they did agree that trying to open the doors and look in the windows was suspicious activity though. they made a report although i don't expect there to be any follow up on it based off there attitude. i was still a couple hours out from home old mack running on the rev limiter. 

although we live in a pretty nice neighborhood and not really had any problems in the past i think some home security camera's would probably be a wise investment, would gather far more information in a situation like that than a person could possibly remember. i was wondering if any of you guys might have any recommendations on a good home security camera system say 5 camera's and good enough quality of picture to be able to read a licence plate at 50 feet away. if nothing else would help explain to the cops why there is a bullet riddled corpse in my house should someone gain entry. 

• Like 1

Guy is trying to open all your doors and she doesn't call 911?  Far too trusting in my opinion- Knocking on doors is one thing-trying to gain entry???

As for your PD response, I think I would be in the chief's office in the morning given their response.

As for cameras, good post-I'm wondering the same thing.  I have a hard wired system and my alarm monitoring co. charges 300 a year.  Plus I have some circuits that are out-  One of my kids just bought two cameras for 200 bucks-tied to their phones.  I had to go over his house the other day to pick up a set Deere forks he had borrowed and my phone rings-the d-in law.  She says "Hi that you that just drove in?-she is at work and it dinged her cell!

• Like 1

I’ve heard good things about the Ring Doorbell (it also has multiple  wireless cameras). It’s motion activated and instantly streams HD live stream to your phone so if the crook steals the camera you have the footage saved on your phone. Plus you can talk/yell at the crook through the main camera/doorbell on your front porch. I’ve had it myself with petty crooks this summer. Had some lowlife cut through my neighbors fence and mine at my property where my sawmill is. The lowlifes stole a really expensive powder coated dog kennel, bbq, tools etc. so I moved my fifthwheel home because I don’t want it getting destroyed. Today I fired up my willys and noticed another lowlife shot my passenger side windshield 3 times with a BB gun and when I talked to the sheriff deputy he said there has been a huge (for our town) petty crime spree. Multiple cars and garages broken into. Even said one of the known Trouble makers  is so burnt out on drugs he has no fear and started breaking into cars and homes in broad daylight. He said his own mother came to him and said I know he’s going to get shot doing these things and asked that the officers shoot him in the leg. The deputy said he was sympathetic to a mother at her wits end but also told her if someone whether it be an officer or homeowner gets surprised/cornered by him it’s not likely he will end up with only a leg wound. I hate criminals and the feeling of being worried about my safety and my wife’s safety and worried about getting things we’ve worked for stolen or vandalized. Good luck Ezrider. 

https://www.amazon.com/Ring-Floodlight-Camera-Motion-Activated-Security/dp/B0727XJQLD/ref=mp_s_a_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1535313591&sr=8-7&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=ring+doorbell&dpPl=1&dpID=41tYUD%2BhVbL&ref=plSrch

https://www.amazon.com/Blink-Home-Security-Detection-Included/dp/B071YPNMN1/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1535313371&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=blink+camera&dpPl=1&dpID=41bS19apwLL&ref=plSrch

Edited by HeavyGunner
Spelling
  • Like 2

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by the people who vote for a living.

The government can only "give" someone what they first take from another.

i have an 8 channel speco DVR with a 1 tetra byte hard drive with 4 speco cameras with 100ft night vision hooked to it.

i can record continuous recallable video for 34 days

total system cost me just about $1,100 for everything. ..

i installed it myself.

Edited by tjc transport
  • Like 2

when you are up to your armpits in alligators,

it is hard to remember you only came in to drain the swamp..

I too advice not to use wireless.We in this area which is rural have had break ins in the day time.My wife is a stay home woman and have had a young man come two times just to knock on the door and to look around.She does not go to the door unless she knows them and has a hand gun in ever room so if some one breaks in i have told her just hide with a gun and when they come thru the door just start pulling the trigger.I to believe ever one with good sense should have guns at their reach but it also puts more arms out there for no goods.It just the signs of the times we are in.

If I was buying cameral again again I would use a security company that has ben around to install them.i have wirless and on night some on stole a battery from in front of the shop and it just so happens that night a spider decides to build a web over the lens of that cameral and the light reflecting on the web hide what I wanted to see.I know a man that has a single cameral system on a maybe 100 foot tower which is a syatem that rotates all the time and will stop a movement and zoom in and follow it but it was about 6000.00 8 years ago.

• Like 2

glenn akers

1 hour ago, theakerstwo said:

I too advice not to use wireless.We in this area which is rural have had break ins in the day time.My wife is a stay home woman and have had a young man come two times just to knock on the door and to look around.She does not go to the door unless she knows them and has a hand gun in ever room so if some one breaks in i have told her just hide with a gun and when they come thru the door just start pulling the trigger.I to believe ever one with good sense should have guns at their reach but it also puts more arms out there for no goods.It just the signs of the times we are in.

If I was buying camera again again I would use a security company that has been around to install them.  I have wireless and on night some on stole a battery from in front of the shop and it just so happens that night a spider decides to build a web over the lens of that cameral and the light reflecting on the web hide what I wanted to see.I know a man that has a single cameral system on a maybe 100 foot tower which is a syatem that rotates all the time and will stop a movement and zoom in and follow it but it was about 6000.00 8 years ago.

Absolutely something to be said for that.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Red Horse said:

Guy is trying to open all your doors and she doesn't call 911?  Far too trusting in my opinion- Knocking on doors is one thing-trying to gain entry???

As for your PD response, I think I would be in the chief's office in the morning given their response.

As for cameras, good post-I'm wondering the same thing.  I have a hard wired system and my alarm monitoring co. charges 300 a year.  Plus I have some circuits that are out-  One of my kids just bought two cameras for 200 bucks-tied to their phones.  I had to go over his house the other day to pick up a set Deere forks he had borrowed and my phone rings-the d-in law.  She says "Hi that you that just drove in?-she is at work and it dinged her cell!

she didn't do very good the first time he showed up the second time he showed up she did a much better job. we really have not had any issues in the past here. i worked with her a bit on drills today and will be doing more in the future. we have not really had any problems here in the past. ill be home on some week days next week i will definitely be paying the chief a visit. 

4 hours ago, 66dc75 said:

If you do it yourself don't get wireless,  I used wireless at my shop due to the cable runs would be 150' but the cameras lose contact with the base monitor constantly, useless.

im glad you guys have brought up the issues with wireless wireless probably would have been my preference if you guys had not mentioned the issues. 

19 minutes ago, Ezrider said:

she didn't do very good the first time he showed up the second time he showed up she did a much better job. we really have not had any issues in the past here. i worked with her a bit on drills today and will be doing more in the future. we have not really had any problems here in the past. ill be home on some week days next week i will definitely be paying the chief a visit. 

im glad you guys have brought up the issues with wireless wireless probably would have been my preference if you guys had not mentioned the issues. 

Same here- I'm thinking wireless is the future

Have had good luck with LaView with 6 cameras from Amazon. Can access from my phone. I hard wired it with a underground conduit to garage.  I would suggest using Cat5e Outdoor Waterproof Ethernet Cable for Direct Burial Shielded (Pure Copper) in conduit. I ran conduit for two reasons , #1-if anything goes wrong you install another cable easily #2 gives me a pathway to install additional alarm wires if needed in the same raceway

• Like 1

another con to wireless is all the crooks need is a frequency scanner to figure out what the wireless frequency is, transmit a fake signal, and the cameras are now dead. 

only way to kill a wired camera is to cut the wire or kill power to the property. and to do that they will most likely have to be seen on a camera. 

when you are up to your armpits in alligators,

it is hard to remember you only came in to drain the swamp..

1 hour ago, Dirtymilkman said:

Also, a good wireless camera needs a power source. So it's still gotta be wired to power. A battery powered camera can be a pain. 

Ring and blink both claim 2 years of use before batteries need changed. 

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by the people who vote for a living.

The government can only "give" someone what they first take from another.

13 hours ago, Dirtymilkman said:

Also, a good wireless camera needs a power source. So it's still gotta be wired to power. A battery powered camera can be a pain. 

What would you know Mark? You have 7 to 10 Brinks Home Security personnel patrolling the grounds of each of your five homes at any one time. The only thing that gets by them is a Kardashian.

1 hour ago, kscarbel2 said:

What would you know Mark? You have 7 to 10 Brinks Home Security personnel patrolling the grounds of each of your five homes at any one time. The only thing that gets by them is a Kardashian.

Actually they're Columbian mercenaries. I find they tend to be a little more judgemental and ruthless. 

• Like 2

Good post.  I've contemplated putting up cameras of some nature.  Haven't pulled the trigger, yet.  I have heard enough about "clarity" to actually be of any use.  Cheap stuff won't get it.  Not ready to spend thousands.  Neighbor is an ATT security rep.  Not sure if they do cameras or motion/doors/fire?

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

1 hour ago, Freightrain said:

Good post.  I've contemplated putting up cameras of some nature.  Haven't pulled the trigger, yet.  I have heard enough about "clarity" to actually be of any use.  Cheap stuff won't get it.  Not ready to spend thousands.  Neighbor is an ATT security rep.  Not sure if they do cameras or motion/doors/fire?

Most camera system s can be set up for motion activation. Mine only record when there's movement. 

Your clarity will also depend on how much you compress your files. If you want longer storage times you can compress the files more but it'll not be as clear. 

Edited by Dirtymilkman