Ok, question and answer time......I got the tanker running good, brakes and everything else works. So far I have put a whopping 7 miles on it, venturing out a little farther each time.

I have never driven a truck that large and old, so my questions are....., does it really take a literal football field to turn it in a complete 360 degree circle? I'm sure the turning radius is not so tight but.......and BOY DOES IT WANDER. 

Next question is to clutch or not to clutch when changing gears while driving? I can double clutch and not grind the gears too bad but, down shifts to make it up a hill or something are another story. I'm waiting to see if I have any teeth left on the gears. 

I know I have to get some more practice under my belt before venturing into traffic around town and the highway.  Any ideas, opinions or thoughts are always welcome 😀

The song-"Gimme 40 acres..." was no lie back in the day

up shifting is pretty easy without the clutch, but you need to know and listen to the engine. downshifting even now is easier WITH the clutch

Success is only a stones throw away.................................................................for a Palestinian

there were not many B42's made with a tach and in my experience the 77 series trans behind a 401 or the smaller transmissions are not forviving like the bigger 67 and 72 series and they HATE being shifted without the clutch. the wander could be in the steering box. did you set the toe on the tie rod an 1/4 inch in? and i know the later B42's had stops on the frame for the pitman arm and they sucked. made the turning radius horrible, you could also have the stop bolts in the backside of the spindle screwed out too far

• Like 2

post-6-0-64947600-1408238925_thumb.jpg

I've been driving truck for a living for 18 years now.    I find myself using the clutch a lot more in my B then the other trucks I've drove.    Just seems like things work better using it.     Biggest thing is patience take your time and don't force shifts.     It will get easier the more time you have in the seat. 

• Like 1
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Willie dog said:

down shifts to make it up a hill or something are another story

Keep an eye on your Tacho.

How many revs you lose on upshifts  This will be how Many revs you'll have to "Blip" on the down shifts...

Mack Boxs you will need to use the Clutch. Roadrangers not so Much(Except for Compound Shifts)..

Just My 2 cents worth.

• Like 1

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

Many older Australian trucks wandered all over road and you tack ed like yacht when driving,  or least thats how I have heard it described 

Have been told the castor angle is wrong from new as it makes it much easier to steer at very slow speeds as trucks never had power steering

Have been told that changing the wedge in between the springs and front axle helps a lot

As for changing gears , lots of real good advice here 

Slow down the changes ,use  the clutch and if you make a mess of it coast to stop and start again 

We all gotta learn some time

Paul 

• Like 1

If you don't have a tach, count and see how long it takes to get it to shift.  2-3 seconds?  Find the rythym and just repeat it.  It takes time, believe me.  Sometimes, if you can get the load off the gears you will be able to shift without the clutch.  Sometimes it is just hard to find that sweet spot, as the motor does not decel fast enough.  Just use the clutch.

• Like 1

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

Lucky you only have a 5spd.  I spent ALL SUMMER trying to learn to drive my Triplex!

Note:  keep track of what SPEED you need to be traveling to upshift.  You can't upshift too soon, as you won't have enough RPM to match the next faster gear.  I learned that quick with splitting gears on my Triplex.  You have to keep accelerating to upshift.  Unlike a car where you can just put it where you want(synchronized trans).   

Learn what SPEED each gear accels to, then remember the count it takes for it to match RPM to shift.  Get to that speed, clutch, count, shift, accel.  Repeat.

Get a piece of masking tape and stick to dash:  1st gear, 5 mph, 2nd gear 15mph, etc.  Then you will have quick reference.

Edited by Freightrain
  • Like 2

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

also keep in your head,''it  is gonna take 5 gears to get to 55mph.... space them accordingly.   same with a triplex or quad within reason, its gonna take me 15 or 20m gears to get to 55mph loaded.... and don't let anyone fool you, if your empty even with a triplex  you only have a 5 speed, the rest we're all just showing off

• Like 1

post-6-0-64947600-1408238925_thumb.jpg