Screw up Saturday

41chevy

2 hours ago, HeavyGunner said:

Look at the caliber of inexperienced drivers trucking companies are hiring. Not learning how to shift is a huge obstacle to circumvent with an auto trans. Not saying that good drivers don’t use them but I’d bet 85% of the people using them ie swift, hunt, merganthaler etc are are putting first day drivers behind the wheel of them. 

I understand there is a place and use for autos even if it’s preference based. I drove an auto in the yard dog spotting trailers and hooking sets. Would have been a long day if it was a manual. But I feel very strongly that I’m right about big trucking companies are outfitting their trucks with autos to get more inexperienced drivers in seats. Being able to shift no matter where you’re at is a skill and many don’t have it. I think their driving skills or lack there of in a semi shows too. 

being stopped on a hill would result in a lot of pretzel driveshafts

• Like 1

Success is only a stones throw away.................................................................for a Palestinian

Well we ain’t running thermodynes and triplexs anymore because the industry  has advanced.   The benefits to botH the driver and the equipment due to an auto trans is very beneficial.   Happy drivers stick around and turn over is miminal.  We have 5 Mdrives and a soon to be delivered Pete 567 with an auto.   Not looking back, moving forward, attracting better drivers due to having premium equipment.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 70mackMB said:

l've always said if your going to learn to drive a truck, it needs to be a standard with manual steering. Just ask Ricky! lol   .....Hippy

I agree, but manual steering was before my time and I'm glad.   

7 hours ago, HeavyGunner said:

Look at the caliber of inexperienced drivers trucking companies are hiring. Not learning how to shift is a huge obstacle to circumvent with an auto trans. Not saying that good drivers don’t use them but I’d bet 85% of the people using them ie swift, hunt, merganthaler etc are are putting first day drivers behind the wheel of them. 

I understand there is a place and use for autos even if it’s preference based. I drove an auto in the yard dog spotting trailers and hooking sets. Would have been a long day if it was a manual. But I feel very strongly that I’m right about big trucking companies are outfitting their trucks with autos to get more inexperienced drivers in seats. Being able to shift no matter where you’re at is a skill and many don’t have it. I think their driving skills or lack there of in a semi shows too. 

Holy Crap!! They can barely drive with an automatic, now add two more things for them to attempt to use?Look out for the carnage. Pushing the clutch instead of brake, having to put the shift pattern in eye sight to shift, figuring out when to shift. Add hills and backing up  to the mix and there would be a ton more head holders sobbing on the road side.

• Like 1

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

you all should find a way to drive behind any JB Hunt facility and look at the "carnage yard" .

the one in East Brunswick NJ has about a 4 acre "carnage yard" and it is usually full of both truck and trailers that are all tore up. usually 75% trailers and 25% trucks. 

it is plainly visible from the landfill behind it.

i always look in whenever i go to the landfill to see new additions or the repair process on the wrecks. 

• Like 1

when you are up to your armpits in alligators,

it is hard to remember you only came in to drain the swamp..

7 hours ago, 41chevy said:

Holy Crap!! They can barely drive with an automatic, now add two more things for them to attempt to use?Look out for the carnage. Pushing the clutch instead of brake, having to put the shift pattern in eye sight to shift, figuring out when to shift. Add hills and backing up  to the mix and there would be a ton more head holders sobbing on the road side.

I agree and that's my point autos make it easier to throw newbies behind the wheel and I also think the fear of learning to shift a manual keeps a lot of the flip flop, pajama pants wearin morons from wanting to attempt to get a cdl. With an auto it's just like driving your minivan. I'll keep my manual, I drove one auto and absolutely hated it and yes that is just my opinion on autos. If guys want to drive them more power to them. 

Edited by HeavyGunner

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by the people who vote for a living.

The government can only "give" someone what they first take from another.

2 hours ago, HeavyGunner said:

I agree and that's my point autos make it easier to throw newbies behind the wheel and I also think the fear of learning to shift a manual keeps a lot of the flip flop, pajama pants wearin morons from wanting to attempt to get a cdl. With an auto it's just like driving your minivan. I'll keep my manual, I drove one auto and absolutely hated it and yes that is just my opinion on autos. If guys want to drive them more power to them. 

I agree, only automatics I have is in my race cars and Fusion my wife drove.

The only two reasons I see for fleets using them is less down time with no burned up clutches, broken axles and other drive train bits, second is minimal training. Boils down to $$$

Edited by 41chevy
  • Like 1

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

On 6/24/2018 at 10:33 PM, mowerman said:

My first driving test hadda back up straight 300 feet 3 try’s guess they hadda drop that since everyone was failing that part these days ahahahahahaha....bob

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had to do a reverse serpentine around 3 sets of offset cones.  It really was easy(if you have a clue), I just made the tandems on the trailer follow the tracks in the gravel from previous testers.  No guesswork.  Turn the steering wheel.  Though, I know my g/f is HORRIBLE at backing up.  She's paranoid as hell even in the middle of an open parking lot.  She freaks out every time I parallel park or back into a spot real quick.

• Like 1

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

10 minutes ago, mowerman said:

Lol your not missing anything especially a kenworth cabover...bob

My B67 has it and that's enough.     I have to keep the window down so there's room for my elbow

Edited by Hobert62
  • Like 1

My B67 has it and that's enough.     I have to keep the window down so there's room for my elbow

Don’t know man......that kenworth cabover was The hardest steering wheel I’ve ever used....lol bob

its amazing how big of a rush,,,people are these days,,,especially on vacation trips,,,they have thier whole family with them,,,and take chances.on killing everyone instantly..just to get around me....and i dont even run that slow most of the time.....incredible....bob

• Like 1