Parking vintage semi at your house.

Pa Lawman,I just recalled a situation from the distant past that kinda relates to this whole debacle! I grew up in Mcmurray Pa (a suburb of Pittsburgh)when it was primarily a rural farming community which rapidly became a high dollar yuppiefied area where all the Steelers, Penguins players lived! My dad owned the local auto salvage yard.He built a state of the art concrete block building which included a modern apartment where we lived and two offices which he rented out.Almost from the day he opened the city council would come around and f..k with him over all sorts of minor b.s., I guess his 8th grade education didn't fit in with their plans for the community! Anyway he was grandfathered in before they could zone the community against auto salvage yards! He kept a clean operation, all the cars were in neat rows and when Ladybird Johnson initiated her beautification of America campaign he even planted flowers in front of the garage!, But every time the council members came around when they left he would stack up a bunch of junk tires and pour gasoline on them and light it!  All of you know how much smoke 50 burning tires create! LOL! He was a tough old bird! When he retired and sold the place nobody could ever have a salvage yard there again!

• 7 months later...

Ah, a final resolution to the issue I finally met up with my villages zoning officer. Plans are in the works  for a 26x36x14 addition to my current barn to keep the Mack and trailer inside of. Life is good and I have some time as construction beings depending on the weather . 🙂

Also found  the source of complaint .  

Apparently a swift driver was trying to park his rig in front of his house and few blocks over and was complaining about why I could have mine and he couldn’t . 

824EC94D-7D19-45A8-9A85-C47ADDCE6408.jpeg

Slightly different parking situation than mine mine I would say

1C7CE95F-77A9-463A-BB05-D182FC4EA76C.jpeg

Edited by 68-f-model
  • Like 2

It is quite a busy street as it is one of two roads in and out of the towns industrial park area. 

Oh no worries on the building I hate having my things sit out side anyway.  Now on with the permits and footings 🧐

8EA4533C-B32D-4FF5-A8B4-28012749F868.jpeg

Edited by 68-f-model
  • Like 2

we have problems with those idiots here in town too. 

town ordinance is no commercial vehicles registered over 10,000 lbs parked on street between 9 pm and 7 am. 

so htey started parking in parking lots. owners of the lots. had to post for customer use only, and no overnight parking to get rid of all the trucks. then they started parking in the pubic lot for the waterfront park. so the county had to post no vehicles over 10,000 lb parking. 

then they started parking on the empty building lots on the highway. 

so we started dumping dirt along the rite of way to block the lots. and put no trespassing signs up. 

well, one idiot with a car carrier parked there anyway, and ended up damaging the cars on the trailer after he twisted the trailer backing over the dirt pile. 

he knocked down what signs he could, and pulled out the rest. 

he then had the balls to file suite in court for the damage to the cars, claiming we illegally blocked access to the property and also claimed he was grandfathered parking there because he had been doing it before the signs were put up. .. needless to say, he lost.

the police now just automatically tow anything with commercial plates that is parked anywhere in town. the idiots are finally starting to get the hint not to park here in town, unless it is on their own property. 

Edited by tjc transport

when you are up to your armpits in alligators,

it is hard to remember you only came in to drain the swamp..

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Laughed so hard at the Swift driver comments...it's always that or a Schneider truck!

I got a nastygram from the city about the little Mack box truck when we got it, as well as the M38A1 Jeep. Officer who wrote it up claimed everything was unlicensed -- the truck's front plate was sitting in the driver's side of the windshield because we had the front taken apart. Everything had insurance and city tax stickers. When I finally found the officer who wrote it up, he gave me some lecture about how I needed car covers, etc. Then tried to buy the Jeep off me. Guess we know what that was about, eh?

Building the new barn is probably the only real way to go, like you said it's better to have it inside anyway where no one can harass you about what's going on, or steal parts or whatever.

Stuff like this is why we'll be moving out to the family farm when we can.

7 hours ago, 41chevy said:

Won't change. I got home this morning took my 55 chevy off the trailer, did a few dry hops and put it in my barn, had a code enforcement officer pull up and tell me driving by he heard a lot of noise. Told him my barn is in the middle of 1160 acres and I have no neighbors with in 5 miles and who the hell said you could drive the 3/4 mile up my gated and posted driveway?

agreed. 

i got a complaint yesterday that my garage was too big for the area and was blocking the view of the waterfront. 

by the asterisk that built a massive 3 story mcmansion down the street. 

not my fault you built a $750,000 moneypit in an area full of $130,000 propertys.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

when you are up to your armpits in alligators,

it is hard to remember you only came in to drain the swamp..

Well it appears the guy got fired from swift and now has his own truck he is trying to park on his drive way and puts his cars on the front lawn.  That isn't a very good hiding job. 

I can't wait till he tries to point over at my F model and there isn't anything there but a shinny new barn.  The F-model is lying low on vacation at a buddies house well outside of town until the barn is up. 😁

IMG_1632[1].JPG

Edited by 68-f-model
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

every locale has it's own policies and sometimes they only enforce if there is a complaint. My village makes no distinction between an antique registration or a commercial registration only that it is a truck. But somehow taxicabs, pick ups lettered up and 1 ton vans lettered up don't seem to be considered commercial. Dumb right? That is precisley why I am looking  for rural land so I can do as I please