Pictures of the Week

other dog

Big pond that you have to drive through to get to the outbound scales at Gerdau in Petersburg. I had to drive around this day because so many people were fishing. They were biting good that day though.Big machine in Baltimore. It was at a coal pile. I was a long ways away from it, picking up some of those aluminum logs.I saw a big ship in Baltimore too.And a smaller ship.And two still smaller ships...I took this electric powered fork lift back to Milwaukee. A company from Rustburg rented it because they needed an electric unit for a job, and that was the only place they could rent one that big. It would lift 30-35,000 lbs. they said.Which is as much as the big red one at the yard will lift.

• Like 2

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

As said above. Alot of interesting to see. Thanks for taking the time.

And those fishers - they looked offering the largest capturings to you. And didn't you have time to catch one for a grill?

• Haha 1

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

21 hours ago, MHfred said:

OD, I think you are like Johnny Cash, you have been every where. Thanks for the pictures.

Fred, That song was originally a Hank Snow release, and I think Dave Dudley used the same music for his song, No Easy Run(??), that lists all the old trucking companies. BUT you are right OD has been there and thanks to his excellent camera work we can join him on the adventures his travel agent likes to send him on..

Tom, Thanks again for all the great pictures!! 

Edited by Brocky

Brocky

Brocky,there was a kid in my hs class was a big Hank Snow fan, he was Canadian wasn't he? had a Dave Dudley trucking songs tape! Ever hear "The Eagle" or "Tombstone every mile" I think that was a Dudley tune. My buddy told me it was based on a highway in Maine where they hauled potatoes. There is a papermill in rural Maryland where there is a 90 degree turn with 14 tombstones (at last count) OD and I have both been there.

18 minutes ago, BillyT said:

Brocky,there was a kid in my hs class was a big Hank Snow fan, he was Canadian wasn't he? had a Dave Dudley trucking songs tape! Ever hear "The Eagle" or "Tombstone every mile" I think that was a Dudley tune. My buddy told me it was based on a highway in Maine where they hauled potatoes. There is a papermill in rural Maryland where there is a 90 degree turn with 14 tombstones (at last count) OD and I have both been there.

Luke, Maryland. I hauled pulp wood  there, and every time the guy at the scales would warn you not to turn on rt. 135 by mistake, because you'd have to come back down the mountain, and yep a 90 degree turn at the bottom. You went past rt. 135 to get to the scales, it turned off to the left. Then when you left the scales you made a U-turn to go back to the paper mill, and turned right into the mill, but sometimes people would turn right on 135 before they got to the paper mill.

4 hours ago, BillyT said:

Billy, Yes Hank Snow was Canadian, Nova Scotia if I remember correctly? Your Tombstone every mile was a Dick Curless (from Maine) song, I think the title was "Hainesville Woods", which was about US 2 From Houlton to Bangor ME, the main potato road south before I-95 was built.

Brocky

42 minutes ago, Brocky said:

Your Tombstone every mile was a Dick Curless (from Maine) song, I think the title was "Hainesville Woods", which was about US 2 From Houlton to Bangor ME, the main potato road south before I-95 was built.

Tombstone Every Mile.  www.youtube.com/watch?v=P85wXJUEkOM     .....Hippy

• 5 weeks later...
On 4/23/2018 at 11:24 AM, 1958 F.W.D. said:

Slower Lower Delaware. Gladys. It's all the same. You probably felt right at home. 

(except in Delaware they don't burn down the shed and the siding off the house when they smoke some ribs) 

I was not smoking ribs, I was smoking a turkey.

On 4/29/2018 at 1:07 PM, other dog said:

Luke, Maryland. I hauled pulp wood  there, and every time the guy at the scales would warn you not to turn on rt. 135 by mistake, because you'd have to come back down the mountain, and yep a 90 degree turn at the bottom. You went past rt. 135 to get to the scales, it turned off to the left. Then when you left the scales you made a U-turn to go back to the paper mill, and turned right into the mill, but sometimes people would turn right on 135 before they got to the paper mill.

Crosses at the bottom...

Luke.jpg.943f60a9d0b420281380f0679f735b10.jpg

You had to make that sharp turn to the right at the bottom to stay on 135, or hit the mountain. The Westvaco scales are to the left, we went there and weighed, then back over to rt.46 to go into Westvaco to unload, then back to the scales. I always said I was going to ride up that mountain to check it out after I got unloaded some time, but I just never got around to it.

543807227_LukeMd.2.jpg.9812a4a917201fcf6aeae5ba3314abcb.jpg

Farther view of the mountain. It was pretty much straight coming down, so you didn't have to slow down for any curves and drivers tended to pick up too much speed coming down to make that curve. Engine brakes were not that common, at least in the east, until the mid to late 80's i'd say, then you started seeing more of them.

952900328_LukeMd.3.jpg.f216f622733293f1c35cce2b17e23dc5.jpg