Go figure. Autozone strike again......grrrrr.

Freightrain

So, just over a year ago, about 15K miles since I put a set of U joints in my '95 F150.   I noticed a slight shake and figured I might as well do it.  My big mistake was NOT waiting another day and getting a set of SPICER joints at the Federated parts store next to my work.  I was home, so I just ran down the street to my local AZ and got their brand.  See where this is going??  Last month or so I've noticed a continuing vibration and it has been getting much worse over the last week.  I got under truck and wiggle everything.  Nothing felt bad.  I grease it at oil changes of 3K miles.  The only thing that stuck out was the slip yoke at transmission was kinda sloppy.   I picked up a new yoke at Summit Equipment and got home last night and plowed and then proceeded to drop the shaft to replace the yoke.  That is when it all went sideways.  I happened to grab the yoke and move it...........hmmm, this ain't right.  It had a really bad catch in it.   SMFH.   Dammit.  Too late to deal with it and no place local to get GOOD parts.  I put another shot of grease in and put it back together.   This has a companion flange on rear end and (4) bolts with 12mm 12 pt heads.  Just a PITA(laying in the snow to boot).

Today I stopped at Federated and they tried to sell me Moog joints.  Box said "made in Mexico".   I said "do you have Spicer?".   They said they just started carrying them and exchanged them for me.   They are $4/ea more then Moog, but said "made in America"(nothing about "with imported parts).  I hope to get more then 1 yr service out of them.

Edited by Freightrain
  • Like 2

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

Years ago you went to franconi and got really good quality points and condencers and well made switches, they closed now all i got is napa and them other crap parts pushers. My friend has a car repair garage and he has to order parts very carefully from a bunch of different suppliers being the parts are so iffy. A lot of times he gets oem parts so he somewhat can trust them. He stands by his work and crap parts costs him money and it could end up ending his good rep.

• Like 1

Freightrain, I got a pair of wheel cylinders for my 92 Izuzu pu. At Autojunk, been dealing there for years! Didn't put them in for 6mos!  Made in Mexico! Warranted for 90 days! Put them in,been two years still working, but it's pretty hard to screw up a wheel cylinder! Even in Mexico! If I'd have looked at the package I wouldn't have bought them!

I learned over the years that the worst thing to do to a u joint is grease it. If you grease a u joint and grease comes out, make sure it comes out all four and then clean off all grease. That u joint is good for at least 30,000 miles. Penske did a study and they only grease every 40,000 miles. Less replacements being done then when they greased at 4000 miles. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Dirtymilkman said:

I learned over the years that the worst thing to do to a u joint is grease it. If you grease a u joint and grease comes out, make sure it comes out all four and then clean off all grease. That u joint is good for at least 30,000 miles. Penske did a study and they only grease every 40,000 miles. Less replacements being done then when they greased at 4000 miles. 

Exactly..It's surprising how many people don't "get It" though..

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

One thing people miss on installing joints is making sure they swivel freely. Sometimes you have to wack the yokes to free them up, if it won't swivel free without

binding it won't last even if it's a Spicer joint. But I agree with only using Spicer brand.

Truck Shop

One ping only

17 hours ago, Freightrain said:

So, just over a year ago, about 15K miles since I put a set of U joints in my '95 F150.   I noticed a slight shake and figured I might as well do it.  My big mistake was NOT waiting another day and getting a set of SPICER joints at the Federated parts store next to my work.  I was home, so I just ran down the street to my local AZ and got their brand.  See where this is going??  Last month or so I've noticed a continuing vibration and it has been getting much worse over the last week.  I got under truck and wiggle everything.  Nothing felt bad.  I grease it at oil changes of 3K miles.  The only thing that stuck out was the slip yoke at transmission was kinda sloppy.   I picked up a new yoke at Summit Equipment and got home last night and plowed and then proceeded to drop the shaft to replace the yoke.  That is when it all went sideways.  I happened to grab the yoke and move it...........hmmm, this ain't right.  It had a really bad catch in it.   SMFH.   Dammit.  Too late to deal with it and no place local to get GOOD parts.  I put another shot of grease in and put it back together.   This has a companion flange on rear end and (4) bolts with 12mm 12 pt heads.  Just a PITA(laying in the snow to boot).

Today I stopped at Federated and they tried to sell me Moog joints.  Box said "made in Mexico".   I said "do you have Spicer?".   They said they just started carrying them and exchanged them for me.   They are $4/ea more then Moog, but said "made in America"(nothing about "with imported parts).  I hope to get more then 1 yr service out of them.

I went all through the brakes on my '79 K2500 and bought all AC Delco parts from rockauto.com. Some of them were from China and Mexico but I'm used to AC parts being pretty good. The parts cost me way less than store brand parts from AZ or Advance. We usually buy calipers from the local stores simply because we need them right away...they usually last a year or two. I've been buying from Rock Auto for several years and I've been really happy with them.

This was a spur of the moment kinda job and it came back to bite me.  Should have just sucked it up and waited a day to get the right parts.

Yes, I do inspect the joints to see if grease comes from all four sides.  If they ares sealed well enough(so they can't get moisture inside) then greasing isn't that big of deal.  Being cheapo parts I figured I would stay on top of them...........for no good reason apparently.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

I have replaced the heater control valve in my 2002 Ranger three times in the last few years. The original valve lasted about 150,000 miles with no issues, until one day the plastic piece that the heater hose connects to just snapped off. I sawed off a piece of a bumper guide stick that I got out of the junk pile at the shop- just happened to be the perfect size- and bypassed the valve altogether, but when winter rolled around I had to get a valve. Got one at NAPA, I noticed that it said "Made in China" on the box, but I put it on.

It worked fine, but it leaked from day one, just a constant drip where the metal shaft went through the plastic. I just added a little water and antifreeze every couple of weeks, no big deal- until it got annoying. 

So I went to O'reilly's Auto Parts and got another one. It only took a couple of minutes to put one one. I noticed that it said "made in China" on the box, but I put it on.

It worked fine, but it leaked from day one, just a constant drip where the metal shaft went through the plastic. I just added a little water and antifreeze every couple of weeks, no big deal- until it got annoying. 

So I ordered one from that online auto parts place and put it on. I noticed that it said "made in China" on the box, but I put it on.

It worked fine, but it leaked from day one, just a constant drip where the metal shaft went through the plastic. I just added a little water and antifreeze every couple of weeks, no big deal- until it got annoying. But at this point I didn't know what else to do, so I just add a little water and anti freeze periodically.

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

I have been told the john deere tractors that are made in india are prone to more breakdowns than the ones made in other countrys. I have owned 5 Kubota tractors and have had no trouble with any of them. I have a small john deere 1023 to mow the grass i hope it is as reliable as the Kubota's. I have a 1975 ford 2000 that is a pretty good tractor old us made.

Tier 4 Final took effect in 2014, IIRC. The low HP engines pretty much waltzed right through with little mods, nothing like the extensive mods needed for the car  and truck diesels to pass. I've got a Tier 4 compliant 2017 Deere 1023 tractor and the engine looks like something out of the 70s- no turbo, mechanical injection, etc..