Its cold here.

ranchhopper

generally the mack will start as long as there is enough juice in the battery's and the oil isn't to stiff that it turns over at a decent rate. it will cough and gag and complain but it will start. generally anything sub 0 i like to pull it inside or plug it in if its going to be shut down a while if i am able to. 

my diesel pickup starts amazingly well in the cold as well. it will also complain about it but its never not started, try to plug it in at anything sub 0 as well.

i did a cold start video of the pickup and the bobcat a week or so ago when it was -20 ish air temp.

Glad mine sits inside til April!   I do wonder how the old air starter would do in frigid temps?  I haven't looked at the air pressure gauge lately but a few weeks ago it was still up over 100 psi.  That is only down like 10-15# from when I shut it off in Oct.

I know the old 673 would fire up unaided in 18* weather.  I tried it years ago.  Don't know how the 237 would act?

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

On 1/2/2018 at 11:52 AM, mowerman said:

winter sucks,,,,lets face it...lol.bob

Except when the snow bunnies are out. They are a winter creature rarely seen in these parts. 

Edited by HeavyGunner

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by the people who vote for a living.

The government can only "give" someone what they first take from another.

4 hours ago, ranchhopper said:

Are you guys able to get your trucks going and stay going 13 below zero here this morning again. I came across this video it reminds me of the old days getting the F7s started in the morning.

We’ve been running all week and yesterday’s high was -16 low was -28. It’s a real pain in the morning waiting for enough air to leak by the fittings and warm up the 1/4” plastic hose for all the fire valves and auto inflated so they will swell up and stop leaking. Once you’re going there usually isn’t any problems and I don’t shut it off until I get home and plug it in. 

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by the people who vote for a living.

The government can only "give" someone what they first take from another.

Pretty neat video there, i've often wondered about locomotives, how big are the engines?..do they have a pony motor to start them?..they don't have a starter motor do they, no way it could turn that engine that long without burning up, could it?..I just figured when they were new and they first started them up that they were never shut off again, for anything, ever.

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

We used to have block heaters on all the trucks at H.H.Moore's, when we got in we'd drop the trailer and park the trucks out by the fence and plug them in so they'd start when it was time to go. And usually they would, but if they didn't we'd take some pieces of plywood and prop them against the cab to kind of close off underneath the truck and aim the old kerosene space heater right up under it and in just a few minutes it was good to go.

• Like 1

I used to have a '68 Biscayne, with a 283 and a Powerglide. It wouldn't start one time when it was real cold, would barely turn over, so I put just a few pieces of charcoal in a cast iron skillet, slid it up under the oil pan for a few minutes, and it started right up.

...and they say- and i'm not sure who "they" are- that when "Jigsaw" 's old VT903 wouldn't start, he would drain the oil into a washtub, bring it in the house and warm it up on his kitchen stove, then put it back in the truck, started right up. That's what they say anyway.

1 hour ago, other dog said:

I used to have a '68 Biscayne, with a 283 and a Powerglide. It wouldn't start one time when it was real cold, would barely turn over, so I put just a few pieces of charcoal in a cast iron skillet, slid it up under the oil pan for a few minutes, and it started right up.

You are now forbidden from doing this. 

TWO STROKES ARE FOR GARDEN TOOLS

2 hours ago, other dog said:

Pretty neat video there, i've often wondered about locomotives, how big are the engines?..do they have a pony motor to start them?..they don't have a starter motor do they, no way it could turn that engine that long without burning up, could it?..I just figured when they were new and they first started them up that they were never shut off again, for anything, ever.

Some of the older EMD reversed the generator to start them some were equipped with twin air starters turning the ring gear some were electric most of the older units we worked with had the V16 567s which were 567 cubic inches per cylinder then they were upgraded to 645s. The EMDs are a two stroke and had massive roots blowers when notched up if you were in the car body your ears really took a pounding.

2 hours ago, other dog said:

This is one of the best videos for the whine the two stroke roots blown V16 567 makes while being notched up watch how this guy bounces around like being in a truck. Nice old original barrel style control stand which are all gone now I'm just glad we still had a lot of the older units in service you never forget the sound of these this was a single engine unit the E9s had two of these in each unit..

Edited by ranchhopper

Our Alco's beat the start time by 3 min 10 seconds ,of course our's had a few mod's 180 degree block heaters oil heaters and circulaters  big air start tanks ,. Hit the switch and they started  went wide open and closed to the buss in 30 seconds  ,or else we failed the test. They were awesome machines ,one generator one rcp pump and maybe a few lights.

Edited by gxbxc
  • Like 1

I did enjoy the seeing contrails from my stacks  4:30 yesterday morning in  -25 temps getting on 95 in Maine.

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

I am retired as of june and i really don't miss getting up and going in to work as a lot of the  repairs i did out side on a cardboard. But now that i don't have to do anything i get up at seven every morning  to feed the chickens and water the goats and deal with 5 dogs and 3 barn cats. And two weeks ago i getting a little board so the water heater went bad on Tuesday spent the day changing that. wed. the bathroom shower fauset went to leaking so back to the store to fix that. Monday i was asked to get the spraywand fixed in the kitchen sink back to the store for a new fauset. This past Thursday the sinkdrain went bad. I was afraid i would have nothing to do if i retired?

• Like 2

7 hours ago, davehummell said:

I am retired as of june and i really don't miss getting up and going in to work as a lot of the  repairs i did out side on a cardboard. But now that i don't have to do anything i get up at seven every morning  to feed the chickens and water the goats and deal with 5 dogs and 3 barn cats. And two weeks ago i getting a little board so the water heater went bad on Tuesday spent the day changing that. wed. the bathroom shower fauset went to leaking so back to the store to fix that. Monday i was asked to get the spraywand fixed in the kitchen sink back to the store for a new fauset. This past Thursday the sinkdrain went bad. I was afraid i would have nothing to do if i retired?

That's what I don't miss...fuel jelling up in the primary filter, having to heat up the air dryer exhaust so it would stop leaking, pulling the main line off the compressor and pouring alcohol in it to melt the ice in the system. The worst was bringing a truck into the shop and laying underneath while it thawed...ice cold water with salt mixed in dripping on me.

13 hours ago, ranchhopper said:

Alcos were great locomotives the UP owns the only steam locomotive also an alco built in 44 never retired from service. Alcos were always great for pushing out the blackest diesel exhaust ruining the tree huggers day.

I got to run that old 1949?(real early model long hood forward) R3 at the local train place.  Yup, it was like a 237 for chugging the black smoke.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"