Its cold here.

ranchhopper

I unplugged the drop light I put under the house yesterday morning because I thought I would be leaving. Now the water's frozen again, so I plugged it back in. I'm waiting for it to thaw so I can take a shower before I leave for Pittsburgh. Looks like it won't be getting above freezing around here until Monday.

DSCN3044.JPG.13fed543e5a0c58dd4c66ab11e662514.JPG

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

14 hours ago, ranchhopper said:

This is one of the best videos for the whine the two stroke roots blown V16 567 makes while being notched up watch how this guy bounces around like being in a truck. Nice old original barrel style control stand which are all gone now I'm just glad we still had a lot of the older units in service you never forget the sound of these this was a single engine unit the E9s had two of these in each unit..

Ok after watching the video how close are  2 trains when passing each other?  Seams pretty damn close.   Gotta make your ass grab the seat the first few times.  

12 minutes ago, other dog said:

I unplugged the drop light I put under the house yesterday morning because I thought I would be leaving. Now the water's frozen again, so I plugged it back in. I'm waiting for it to thaw so I can take a shower before I leave for Pittsburgh. Looks like it won't be getting above freezing around here until Monday.

this morning on 11/15 north of Harrisburg  I had -8.    Better stay south of the Mason Dixon 

2 minutes ago, Hobert62 said:

Ok after watching the video how close are  2 trains when passing each other?  Seams pretty damn close.   Gotta make your ass grab the seat the first few times.  

That was the hard part for me when I first sat on the conductors side of the locomotive while riding with a family member who was an engineer back in the 60s. Didn't take long to get used to though some of the lines in southern Wisconsin got bretty rough though.

2 hours ago, Lmackattack said:

when that old E unit walks right past the brand new diesels at 60 mph then bumps the throttle up 4 more notches. you can hear those twin EMD diesels start to sing in notch 8.   

this was filmed in 1994

I have had many a ride up front in old 9911A  its hard to believe that unit was built I believe in 1940 and still runs out the way it does they had her up to 80 MPH on that trip. That freight train was sided up to let the zephyr pass as it was on the main but its a real shame they didn't save that locomotives cab less B unit before it got scrapped.

3 hours ago, other dog said:

The things some of us take for granted,reminds me to check what is wrong with my air conditioner .

do you have a gelled up tank...??

solution... find some rags and drop on the ground, shower with diesel, set it alight, find a stick and drag pile of burning rags under your diesel tank... simple..!!... note, doesn't work too well with aluminum tanks. :rolleyes:

BC Mack

zz fuel.jpg

• Like 1

I'm loving it. When it hit -25 my car saw a considerable horsepower increase. Nice, dense, cold, oxygen-rich air feeding the pistons........Combined with a frozen starter that stays engaged while the engines running to give me Nitro-power in the low RPM range. Sorta like a Prius, only tragic.    

Edited by Mack Technician
  • Like 1
  • Like 1

OD,I talked my sister in Pittsburgh last, night was -1 Thursday so you musta froze your keister when you got there! Couple days ago our pipes at the well froze a little bit in Florida! Quickly melted when the sun came out! Coldest I've ever been was around 1990 loading conversion vans in Bristol Indiana,chains not straps! Was -25 in Chicago 100 miles away! Got minor frostbite on my hands! Couldn't count the "gelled up" trucks I saw on my way to Florida! What were they thinking!? Never heard of additive?

18 hours ago, BillyT said:

OD,I talked my sister in Pittsburgh last, night was -1 Thursday so you musta froze your keister when you got there! Couple days ago our pipes at the well froze a little bit in Florida! Quickly melted when the sun came out! Coldest I've ever been was around 1990 loading conversion vans in Bristol Indiana,chains not straps! Was -25 in Chicago 100 miles away! Got minor frostbite on my hands! Couldn't count the "gelled up" trucks I saw on my way to Florida! What were they thinking!? Never heard of additive?

Coldest temps. i've ever been in was -26 in Ohio in the 80's. I had to load at Armco in Middletown on a Sunday night. Parked right under the big heating duct when I got in to load, I was the only truck in there. And like you saw, from there back to Lynchburg there were trucks on the shoulder all along  the way, with gelled fuel. I was the only truck that H.H.Moore had that was still running.  I had enough fuel treatment in the tanks to treat like 4,000 gallons of fuel- seriously, almost as much conditioner as fuel. 

Then when I got home I found every pipe under the house was frozen. The kids had opened the door going into the crawl space, playing, and left it open. All the pipes were copper too, and they split where it froze. I'd cut out a bad spot, solder in a new piece of tubing, turn the water on, and there would be another leak somewhere else.

Still chilly here, supposed to warm up tomorrow though.

DSCN3092.JPG.65b8129902d9efacb93c86198d23c54c.JPG

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

4 hours ago, other dog said:

I had enough fuel treatment in the tanks to treat like 4,000 gallons of fuel- seriously, almost as much conditioner as fuel.

DSCN3092.JPG.65b8129902d9efacb93c86198d23c54c.JPG

That's the problem people are having, not enough treatment.    Power service and howes both have on the bottle that you need to double the recommended amount for bio-diesel blends.