Cat 1693 or Detroit 8V Superliner

1 hour ago, j hancock said:

Haven't seen a 1693 Super.  Detroit 8V92 were an option for RW Superliners.  

8V71 and 8V92 Detroit Diesel were available in the R-700 as well.

AND KT500  totally dumb  But we had one back in the day  almost over weight with MT  fuel tanks!

14 hours ago, mackey58 said:

Wasn't those in the 70s 1693t a

I want to say '77 was like the "overlap" year when the 3406 was coming  in,and the 1693 was going  out. Yes mackey ,the 1693 and 3406 had a one piece  head. The 1693 was an overhead cam design. Al  

• Like 1

IF YOU BOUGHT IT, A TRUCK BROUGHT IT..AND WHEN YOU'RE DONE WITH IT, A TRUCK WILL HAUL IT AWAY!!! Big John Trimble,WRVA

If I remember right it was before 77 when the 3406 came out the first models were prechamber just like the 1693 I used to doctor them up and I got 550 hp on the dyno. It pissed me off because we finally got all the little bugs straightend out and cat retired the engine. Cat had a twin overhead cam v8 on the order of a 1693 it was a poor engine. Cat had a smaller engine 1673 it was a pretty good one. The 1693 was a very good engine but it was heavy and used a lot of fuel it was used in loaders, pans, air compressors.

• Like 1

I knew a guy with illinois state motor service steel outfit ottawa chicago had a brown and white kw conventional he bought from  a guy with Jack gray had the 1673 turned up blew coal more than any out mack passed me and the guy that was teaching me to drive comming out of j and l in Hennepin  on 180 that long hill must had been doing 90 when he passed  us got up to him on 80 east  bound state had him pulled over for speeding 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, davehummell said:

If I remember right it was before 77 when the 3406 came out the first models were prechamber just like the 1693 I used to doctor them up and I got 550 hp on the dyno. It pissed me off because we finally got all the little bugs straightend out and cat retired the engine. Cat had a twin overhead cam v8 on the order of a 1693 it was a poor engine. Cat had a smaller engine 1673 it was a pretty good one. The 1693 was a very good engine but it was heavy and used a lot of fuel it was used in loaders, pans, air compressors.

Dave, I  think that ill-fated V-8 was the 1676 340hp. I read about  in OVERDRIVE  years  ago. I  forgot  what the major malfunction was,but it was enough  to make them replace it  with  the engine  of the customers  choice. The 1693 was a good  motor,for sure. I remember  a small  fleet from  the Upper  Peninsula  of Michigan,had some pretty  nicely  eguipped  Freightliners with 1693TA's in 'em. Their single stacks  were all on the left side.  Also not to get way off thread here,one BMT member from Washington  state  is selling his 8V 92 powered Super-Liner  dump on the  truckpaper.com.  Al

• Like 1

IF YOU BOUGHT IT, A TRUCK BROUGHT IT..AND WHEN YOU'RE DONE WITH IT, A TRUCK WILL HAUL IT AWAY!!! Big John Trimble,WRVA

For on highway use I think the last year was 1974 for the 1693. I knew several guy's that ran those with the rack screw removed. 425 hp stock.

In their day it was an animal.

Truck Shop

1693ta-left-side.JPG

5361_3.jpg

One ping only

20 minutes ago, mackdaddy said:

Joe "Mustang" put a 1693 in his H model. It is a pulling machine and really runs nice but does drink the fuel. Here is a picture of Joe many years back working on it.

Mustang working 1693 CAT.jpg

The Legend! 

1 hour ago, mackdaddy said:

Joe "Mustang" put a 1693 in his H model. It is a pulling machine and really runs nice but does drink the fuel. Here is a picture of Joe many years back working on it.

Mustang working 1693 CAT.jpg

Any complete pictures?    Looks like Pete fuel tank brackets.   

57bcr, Thanks for reminding me i had to work on one of those 1776's it was in the shop more than the owner liked. back in the day most guys ran 1693 ,around me to the coast i drove a supped up 350 small cam or a 370 external fuel line cummins . I drove both 1693,s and lots of 3406,s You wouldn't like the fuel millage on a 1693 on today's fuel  prices Back in the day i picked up in elpaso and i would drop the trailer and go over in mexico and fill up for .17 gallon