Extreme Make over time for Mrs Mack

No harry I've got no idea on the original owner, I would be surprised if it was ever anything but a heavy haulage truck or a truck built for extremely heavy work

The Mack dealer closest to me for many years (Townsville) thought maybe Papua New Guinea might of been it's original home

I was thinking maybe NewZealand with the indicators in the headlight surrounds

It has Mack Australia on the plates and was built to 115 ton from new 

58,000 lbs back end, double 12 inch rails ? Mack called them 12 inch but they only measure I think 10 inches deep

Looks like it's been upside down once

The doors don't match the cab or the bonnet when we sanded it back which was a shock

I wonder if L Arthur bought as a wreck and fixed it up ?

Paul 

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

when I was a pumpkin driver, the last truck I had was an old western auto parts,    Int. cab over.  cummins / 9 spd.  not governed..  it was a 75 mph truck...  however,  it has a 24'' sleeper and a dog house..  i used to kick the shifter when I changed my pants in the cab..  too funny.. anyway, i think they called it a ''coffin'' sleeper..  dunno...  (1999) jojo

• Like 1

Yes coffin I haven’t heard that term in years but then again, nobody talk to anybody on the radio anymore. Coffin box. I’m sure most of us have experience with lots of them. I think my F model has the smallest one. The cruise liner was pretty good size. , 359 Peterbilt and T 800 both had walk-in sleepers.

I haven't heard them called cigarette pack sleepers before but I can see why they would be called that

Dunno the brand, all I know is they came from Adelaide South Australia 

I guess we need to remember that back in they the day, when drivers stopped they weren't fatigued, they were knackered, left and right if you know what I mean 

A very different breed of driver then than today

Paul 

• Like 1

Paul, That is an interesting sleeper.. I have never driven a truck with a "crawl thru the window" sleeper.. but many small "sit in" bunks.. At 6'4" and 250 lb, I presume it would be SNUG!!!

• Like 1

Brocky

Brocky…. I haven’t thought of that ,,, same here driven 5 sleeper trucks none of them  window jobs lol  even at my age I think I would have trouble trying to climb thru the hole …:bob 

14 hours ago, mowerman said:

Excellent I have never slept in a bunk that small but I expect if you’re tired enough, you’ll fit in there right easy… bob

going from mechanic to driver (not my choice) , the IH 4070A cab over was do able . short wheel base was my priority for those narrow delivery spots. Co switched to conventional, I stayed with day cab ; just had to log motel not sleeper berth. slept in truck every time. tight but also by then I was tired. upstate NY and maine runs had to have conventional with sleeper. crawl through window sleepers ,  at over 6ft the sleeper was defiantly more comfortable; lucky for me those weren't my permanent runs.

Interesting sleeper definitely. My thoughts were of another kind though. Just spin in my mind a way to fit the sleeper right on the winch. Isn't that impossible? The winch would keep its place being hidden under the bunk with a big access door in the rear wall. And the matress floor can be (?) positioned high enough to clear up the drum. Would be a cool setup on my mind. But 1st issue I foresee is correspondence of the openings in the cab and the bunk. And the 2nd is alignement of the side countour of the cab and bunk may be lost.

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

On 3/3/2024 at 5:23 AM, Mark T said:

Be interesting to know who made it, but any sleeper that can live through a B model then an R model and still be in one piece 50 years later has to be manufactured quite well I'd say. That'll look good on your Mack.

Well, it’s interesting that it has the same back window as the day cab I’m thinking Mack had a lot to do with it

And yes, I sure miss the old days. I am quitting end of September and that’s a big reason why once we lost the CB chatter I was about done mentally and I was a long time ago to make matters worse some 80 mile an hour tanker blew my doors off a while ago and put a little bullet hole in my brand new windshield through a rock out of his wheels thanks Nevada yeah 80 mile an hour with HM placard that’s a good idea dumbasses…. Bob